X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Teachers Stereotype Students

I've faced this problem a lot and way to many times...ask Lilith
    but it seems to me that Teachers these days stereotype their students based on work and other basic things. I've had all A+s this year, yet teachers and principals give me loads of shit for things I do in and out side of school that they shouldn't make their business.

I didn't even notice this thread until now, Rose. It's hard for me to imagine teachers stereotyping students so badly when they are specifically trained NOT to do so. I've completed the program, so I know they are. Perhaps the teachers in your school are worse than the ones I've had and worked with though. As far as them giving you trouble about things not school related, it is none of their business and they have no authority or right to bother you about it in any way.

Comment

I've never had this problem. The closest I've come is teachers prefer good students to bad students, and are kinder to them. But. Really, that's not surprising or out of the ordinary.

I think you just have poor teachers, as they're really not supposed to do that.

Comment

But you know, there are teacher out there who actually truly care. Course, then again these are way too rare. At any rate, I'm sure you're mentioning the otherwise kind of teachers, I've had those too. Matter of fact, I have those again in this school I'm going to right now. I've had a set of teachers who honestly don't know what they're doing so they get in someone's business as if they have the license to do that, how bothersome.

Comment

Teachers hated me in school because I challenged them.

Comment

Not to be poking my nose or anything, but what exactly did you do that gave them a bad impression of you?
            Seibu teh geimu?
            ---

Comment

HA! I would correct them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Corson View Post
                HA! I would correct them.
                Im willing to bet that you werent as much "correcting" them as just irritating them by being a showoff infront of your classmates. (I had my own share of incidents, as did many of my friends)

Hey, I was in school too, and from what I remember stereotyping (among other issues) starts when you get a critical mass of troublemakers. Theres so many things wrong with schools these days, and most of those problems come from childrens parents inability to prepare their spawns to enter society, so to speak.

Yeah, I completely understand. It a lot of cases, the troublemaking kids are usually those who are more creative, smarter or more talented, and teachers happen to not know this fact so they chalk them all up as criminal potential. But in most cases, were not dealing with kids who challenge authority. Were dealing with kids who recognize no authority, use violence and threats against their common peers, not to mention teachers. Kids can be fucking cruel.

Stereotyping, thats your biggest issue?
                Last edited by Member_of_STARS; 02-13-2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

We generally start mosh pits in the hallway...but we haven't done that in a while...they don't really like the emo group of kids for some reason...mostly cause we're in popular local bands that are known for wild shows that involve puppets...<3 stan

Comment

Originally posted by Member_of_STARS View Post
                    Im willing to bet that you werent as much "correcting" them as just irritating them by being a showoff infront of your classmates.
                    I never did it in front of the class.

[EDIT] To be clear, most of the educators in my area are (or were) very, very lazy.
                    Last edited by Dan Corson; 02-13-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose312 View Post
                      We generally start mosh pits in the hallway...but we haven't done that in a while...they don't really like the emo group of kids for some reason...mostly cause we're in popular local bands that are known for wild shows that involve puppets...<3 stan
                      So wait....you "start most pits" in the school hallways, and are complaining that teachers get upset with you? Are you so self absorbed that you cannot see the connection? I mean really...If you give off a certain attitude and act out, teachers are going to dislike you.

My advice: Grow up and get over it. Everyone stereotypes, despite if they say otherwise. Humans are naturally judgmental creatures. In general, if you're going to live up to the stereotype, then people are going to treat you in certain ways. Stereotypes exist for a reason, after all.
                      sigpic
                      Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                        So wait....you "start most pits" in the school hallways, and are complaining that teachers get upset with you? Are you so self absorbed that you cannot see the connection? I mean really...If you give off a certain attitude and act out, teachers are going to dislike you.

My advice: Grow up and get over it. Everyone stereotypes, despite if they say otherwise. Humans are naturally judgmental creatures. In general, if you're going to live up to the stereotype, then people are going to treat you in certain ways. Stereotypes exist for a reason, after all.
                        It was 2 times this year...and I have all A+s...if you knew most of the shit they tell me you'd agree...

Comment

It was 2 times this year...and I have all A+s...if you knew most of the shit they tell me you'd agree...
                          Excuse me? Don't presume to tell me I would agree with you. So what if you make straight A grades? Grades dont amount to anything in regards to personality. If you act like an asshole, people are going to treat you as such. You're in school, not a rave. Dont be so entitled that you think you can do as you wish where ever you go. I've seen students with great grades and they were disliked by teachers because of that same self-important attitude.

Your entire first post sounds like nothing but a whine that should be on a livejournal or facebook somewhere, wanting nothing but some draw of sympathy because you and your friends want to mosh in school. Again, mature up a bit and get over it. Teachers aren't "hating on you" because of your "emo" or "punk" lifestyle. If I was a teacher, I would be pissed if you and your friends started moshing in hallways.

I made great grades. I wore "punk" clothes, if you could call it that. But I didn't act like a brat, and therefore I had the respect of my teachers. I knew they were responsible for the education of myself and everyone that had them, not to mention I respected the fact that teachers deal with so much shit day in and day out.
                          sigpic
                          Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                            Excuse me? Don't presume to tell me I would agree with you. So what if you make straight A grades? Grades dont amount to anything in regards to personality. If you act like an asshole, people are going to treat you as such. You're in school, not a rave. Dont be so entitled that you think you can do as you wish where ever you go. I've seen students with great grades and they were disliked by teachers because of that same self-important attitude.

Your entire first post sounds like nothing but a whine that should be on a livejournal or facebook somewhere, wanting nothing but some draw of sympathy because you and your friends want to mosh in school. Again, mature up a bit and get over it. Teachers aren't "hating on you" because of your "emo" or "punk" lifestyle. If I was a teacher, I would be pissed if you and your friends started moshing in hallways.

I made great grades. I wore "punk" clothes, if you could call it that. But I didn't act like a brat, and therefore I had the respect of my teachers. I knew they were responsible for the education of myself and everyone that had them, not to mention I respected the fact that teachers deal with so much shit day in and day out.
                            I'm not an asshole...or a brat...or self impotent...you don't even know more...nor do the teachers...which is my point...they don't know shit about me yet they assume I'm some punk ass emo pot head

Comment

I'm not an asshole...or a brat...or self impotent...you don't even know more...nor do the teachers...which is my point...they don't know shit about me yet they assume I'm some punk ass emo pot head
                              And yet you complain they dislike you for starting a mosh pit in the hallways of a school. Connect some dots. You caused trouble, twice, by moshing. What are they supposed to do? Ignore that? Not likely. They only know the "you" that you show them with your actions.
                              Last edited by Bertha; 02-13-2010, 10:03 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Working...
                              X