trying to get TRUE HD on my PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to get TRUE HD on my PS3

ok so far im getting upset, i just bought zombieland today and it looks got but im still onyl getting 24 fps while my TV can support 1080 at 60 fps.

i am using my ps3 and a

so whats my problem? so i need a hdmi v1.3 cable?

Movies are filmed at 24 FPS. Most TV stuff is filmed at 30 FPS.

Their picture quality depends on the equipment used to shoot the movie with, the encoding technique and the source which the film was transferred from.

Only way to up that framerate to anything else is if you upconvert the framerate in some way. Some TVs has a feature that artificially doubles the framerate of stuff (like the newer Samsung TVs' "Motion Plus" feature. Which at first can look kinda odd to some, but most of the time looks absolutely fantastic.)

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
      Movies are filmed at 24 FPS. Most TV stuff is filmed at 30 FPS.

Their picture quality depends on the equipment used to shoot the movie with, the encoding technique and the source which the film was transferred from.

Only way to up that framerate to anything else is if you upconvert the framerate in some way. Some TVs has a feature that artificially doubles the framerate of stuff (like the newer Samsung TVs' "Motion Plus" feature. Which at first can look kinda odd to some, but most of the time looks absolutely fantastic.)
      so in other words not much i can do...

Comment

Looks like you may need a new one.

Comment

i just bought tihs one, 42 inch 1080p 60fps...

Comment

Originally posted by riderkid View Post
            so in other words not much i can do...
            Exactly.

Originally posted by Karui View Post
            Looks like you may need a new one.
            And why exactly is that? The only way for him to get "60 FPS movies" is if they actually started shooting movies in 60 FPS and release them in 60 FPS ;p

(Or if he for some reason decides to upconvert the framerate of his current movies, which still isn't TRUE 60 FPS... although the image will appear to be smoother if done right.)

Comment

240Hz motion is debatable in regards to it looking better. Try watching the He-man movie with it on. I swear to god you'll think your watching some low budget BBC movie.

For games it'll massacre things. It also has issues with fast motion, where there will be artifacts that pop up due to the tv's inability to insert frames. Its nice novelty feature, but for most purposes it should remain off.
              Last edited by Dot50Cal; 02-26-2010, 03:42 AM.

Comment

If you can live with the "force field" effect in some cases (or the horrors that'll appear on, especially horizontal, scrolling) it's pretty nice for games too. Once I got over the force field around the vehicle during certain points, I simply couldn't play Nuts & Bolts without it

Also... 240hz?
                Sure you're not thinking of just 120hz? (Or have someone gone out and bought an expensive new screw... again )

(My TV does 100/120hz, iirc, and will take a 50/60 FPS input, which in most cases in actuality is a 25/30 FPS input and upconvert the framerate to the double by make hybrid frames of the previous and next frame instead of just duplicating each frame x amount of times)

But, yeah, a lot of movies ends up looking really strange. Especially since they have a bad habit of getting the "force field" effect (especially in action packed movies). Personally, I find it somewhat oddly interesting to watch TV series with it (especially Lost)

Some stuff just looks oddly cleaner, although it feels kinda strange at first, 'cause you're not used to things being so "smooth" in motion on the screen. (Seriously. The first hour or so might give you a headache 'cause things visually feels like it just goes "too fast")

Comment

The fuck is HDMI v1.3?!

Comment

Sounds like the hemi for TV

Comment

24fps is the optimum framerate for most movies. It is their native format. So why you would want it to look worse is beyond me.

Comment

well i saw some movies like iron man being shown much smoother at brookstone and i got a full HD tv so i could get the same framerate...then agian they were sony tvs so i was screwed huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                          The fuck is HDMI v1.3?!
                          The current fucking standard!

Originally posted by riderkid View Post
                          well i saw some movies like iron man being shown much smoother at brookstone and i got a full HD tv so i could get the same framerate...then agian they were sony tvs so i was screwed huh?
                          Well, if the movie looked "smoother" than 24 FPS, they must've been using a framerate doubler (which I believe both most new, high-end Sony screens and new Samsungs have, at least).

Alternatively... it could just be that your TV produces a more smudged/less appealing image, giving you the impression that Iron Man was running "smoother" on the store display. Like... say... yours is a cheap low end Plasma screen, while they had a high end plasma or LCD hanging in the store. (Come to think of it, you haven't really mentioned a brand or make in here. Only size and supported input.)

Comment

Yeah, Paul bought a 240hz tv ;D Seriously, watch He-Man with it. Its amazing.

Comment

I firmly believe that the He-Man live action movie is one of those once in a life time experiences - as in; I'll watch it once, but never again.

Comment

Working...
                              X