Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscars!

So, anyone watching? Caring? Thoughts?

Let me guess, Avatars won them all? Honestly don't care about these kinds of awards, never have, they just throw them and the biggest box office successes rather than the movies that actually deserve them.

Comment

I've never been able to comprehend why they're such a big deal. Seems like a stupid popularity contest to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rewak View Post
        Let me guess, Avatars won them all? Honestly don't care about these kinds of awards, never have, they just throw them and the biggest box office successes rather than the movies that actually deserve them.

Actually, Avatar hasn't won a lot. Hurt Locker has gotten the more 'important' awards. But of course these big box office movies get the awards for design and sound, that just is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Karui View Post
          I've never been able to comprehend why they're such a big deal. Seems like a stupid popularity contest to me.
          Well, the box office doesn't put in the votes (or so they say...), actors, producers, writers, etc are the members of the Academy who do so. Good enough for me.

Glad to see Christoph Waltz and Jeff Bridges win. I owe it to myself to see a lot of the films though, I missed quite a few of 'em.

Comment

Whoa...The Hurt Locker really cleaned up, huh? 9 nominations, 6 wins including Best Picture and Best Director.

Also, it was just brought to my attention that Kathryn Bigelow is James Cameron's ex-wife? Is this true? If so, she beat her ex-husband for Best Director AND Best Picture. If that's really the case...hahahahaahahahahahahahah.
            Last edited by Vector; 03-07-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I was pretty surprised that they made a tribute to the horror genre.

Thought it was a little random for them to do that, but the montage they made was pretty nice.
              Last edited by CODE_umb87; 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
                I was pretty surprised that they made a tribute to the horror genre.

Thought it was a little random for them to do that, but the montage they made was pretty nice.
                Every genre gets its year I suppose. It was a great montage indeed, especially the attention they gave to Rosemary's Baby. Classic.

Not to mention the tribute to the late great John Hughes. Well done.
                Last edited by GuardhouseMusic; 03-07-2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I have to say kudos to the Academy for awarding the greatest film of the bunch and also for their touching tribute to John Hughes.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                    Whoa...The Hurt Locker really cleaned up, huh? 9 nominations, 6 wins including Best Picture and Best Director.

Also, it was just brought to my attention that Kathryn Bigelow is James Cameron's ex-wife? Is this true? If so, she beat her ex-husband for Best Director AND Best Picture. If that's really the case...hahahahaahahahahahahahah.
                    yeah, but why would james cameron care about awards now? he's got 2 of the biggest selling movies ever made in both box office and overall attendance. not to mention his other film already won him best picture and director.
                    Last edited by Branden_Lucero; 03-07-2010, 11:46 PM.
                    Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Branden_Lucero View Post
                      he's got 2 of the biggest selling movies ever made in both box office and overall attendance.
                      Not really. Gone With The Wind still holds the record for overall viewers. I read this somewhere very recently.
                      sigpic

Comment

Tsk, Tsk, Academy.

Sandra Bullock?! REALLY?!

That Oscar was Meryl Streeps!

>:|

Comment

Originally posted by Vogue_Dirge View Post
                          Tsk, Tsk, Academy.

Sandra Bullock?! REALLY?!

That Oscar was Meryl Streeps!

>:|
                          Sandra Bullock was lucky because this was a very weak year for female leads.
                          Last edited by aris13; 03-08-2010, 12:46 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Sandra Bullock acted very well in The Blind Side, but, imo, some of the other contenders deserved it more.

Comment

Originally posted by Branden_Lucero View Post
                              yeah, but why would james cameron care about awards now? he's got 2 of the biggest selling movies ever made in both box office and overall attendance. not to mention his other film already won him best picture and director.
                              So you're saying that he thinks "oh well, I'm already rich as fuck, I don't need another Oscar"? I highly doubt that.
                              Last edited by Vector; 03-08-2010, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X