Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You better eat your veggies! Cause mom said so!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You better eat your veggies! Cause mom said so!

Back when I was kid, about pre-adolescence, I had this intense hatred of vegetables, especially onions. One evening, my mother made this soup full of onions, and even though I rejected having the soup when she asked me if I wanted some, she still served me some in a freaking Snoopy bowl. I asked her - no, I demanded her to serve me that god-damn Hot Pocket that she promised to feed me with after she came very late to pick me up from school that same day.

Then she said:

"Eat it".
    I said "No".
    She said "Eat it, or I'll shove it down yo' throat".
    "NO".
    She then rushes out of the kitchen, and comes back with a belt, snapping the belt. I stared in terror of the black belt she welded. "Put that spoon in yo' fuckin mouth".
    "OH HELL NO".
    She whacks the table with the belt. She raises her voice furiously, "EAT IT".
    "Noooo...." I piss and moan.
    She then approaches the silverware drawer and grabs a larger spoon from it. Dunks it in the soup, and directly injects it into my mouth.
    "YOU ARE GONNA CHEW IT AND SWALLOW IT, DAMN IT", she yells.
    I had this sensation going on my tongue. The taste of the onion was repulsive.
    As a child, I was not used to god's natural candy.
    But this dreadful strong onion taste was surrounding my tongue with nothing but misery. I tasted shit.
    As I continued to salvage it, my mother stared blank at my face.
    She asked: Does it taste good? I gave her my face-of-despair look.
    With that belt she held on her hand, I could not say no.
    The pressure of tasting this nasty piece of piss and the anxious thought of punishment was just so unbearable.
    I had only one reaction.
    I thought "fuck it", and I threw up square on the dinner table when she then preceded to whoop my ass with a belt and a large-sized clothes hanger.
    I ran to my room screaming. I laid on my bed without dinner -- with an empty stomach at that -- and I could hear my mother screaming nothing but batshit-tantrum.

And... The End.

Today, I love onions. I have them on my Pizza, Ham and Tuna sandwiches, tacos, hot dogs, salads, tofu, and sometimes even stew. It has this distinct taste that I love that just enhances the favor of some food for me. I'm certainly not a total addict but I certainly wouldn't mind adding it as a topping to anything. I'm actually kinda happy all this happened.

Now, I'd like to ask THIA goers here: Were you ever forced to eat food that you hated before as a child, like vegetables, foreign food, sea food, etc? Tell us all about it!
    If you have Twitter, follow me!. =P

Mango and mushrooms. I too love them now. I was about to say Brussel Sprouts, but then again back then I really didn't mind them.

Speaking of mom, Happy Mother's Day!

Comment

Wow.... thats some tough parenting.

erm i gues for me its mushrooms, I keep on going on and off of them lol at the moment i like them but who knows if il like them next year haha

Comment

Take notice of me name.

Comment

I ate everything. There wasn't anything vegetable I wouldn't consume.

In my existance, there were only three things I refused to eat, one was a soup in france that tasted like the smell of cigarette ash. Don't know how my mind made that connection. Two was a chili con carne my mum made but it was too spicy for me back then (I love spicy food even back then but it was too spicy for me at age 11) and finally was Iceland brand Meatball ready meals. The meatballs were foul.

Comment

Tomatoes were the worst for me as a child I hated them in salads and the like now I love them but they don't taste as good unless they're Cherry or still on the vine and I LOVE sun ripened they look terrible taste lush . . .
            sigpic

Comment

I would say the opposite happened to me, used to love Scouse and Carrots, but now, it makes me sick.

Comment

I'm quite a fussy eater. I hate potatoes and didn't eat them, but my parents used to use the method of pretending it was a train and I had to open my mouth for the train, going "choo choo choo" as it got nearer. I also couldn't leave the table until I'd eaten at least one. I still hate them.

However, I quite like a roast turkey with the occasional vegetables and yorkshire puddings.

One time a girl at school gave me a cherry tomato as well and I spat it in her face/all over the table because it tasted gross.
                Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

yorkshire puddings.
                  OH. MY. GOD. <3333333333
                  I fucking love Yorkshire puddings. :3

Comment

Who doesn't love Yorkshire Puddings!!!!!!

seriously I dont think ive ever met some one who doesnt like them...... then again i havn't spoken to every one ive met about yourkshire puddings

Comment

Wow, I wouldn't be still talking to my mom unless I really needed money if she had done this. I hope you don't raise your kids like that even if it's for their own good and there's nothing else to eat.

I love all veggies except for Tomatoes, they're too acidic for my taste. As in, they used to make me throw up even if I didn't want to. My stomach would toss and turn for hours afterwards. Also, I dislike vegan restaurants cause too much beans, lentils and peas and crap like that, yuck-o! I'd love for some place nearby I could buy raw veggies for lunch or a snack during the week.

Someone's mentioned potatoes, I used to hate them too, but it was that my mom's not that great of a cook. Cooked veggies depend on the cook's knowledge of what they're doing and good taste or lack of... I usually add a spoon of sugar to any boiled or steamed veggies, especially potatoes or turnips. My mom'd just boil it in water and the potatoes would taste slightly like dishwashing liquid... it was gross. ie Food is still an issue when I visiti! She's terrible LOL. I'm so glad I get to buy and pick my own food. It's not something from my childhood that I miss...
                      Last edited by The_15th; 05-19-2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I used to be left for hours at the table without a desert in an attempt to make me eat my veg during xmas roast dinners and I still won't them to today, i'm a picky eater anyway, the only veg I like is raw carrot, potato and tomatoe if you count tommy sauce.
                        I'm a carnivore veg to me just tastes like sour water.
                        When I was younger for some reason I was allergic to eggs but now I eat them all the time no problem, soliders included.
                        Last edited by kevstah2004; 05-23-2010, 05:53 PM.
                        If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

i have to say the only veggies i have not liked, mostly to taste were radishes, mushrooms and eggplant.

i have always enjoyed broccoli and my mom introduced it to me with cheese then told me i ate broccoli. i have even eaten it on pizza and enjoyed it.

but one veggie i have never like was indeed, celery. now i load my beef stews with it and onions cause i love the taste

Comment

Working...
                          X