Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't have to worry about 2012.

Here's a couple of reasons why:

1) The planets are not scheduled to align in 2012. In fact, there will be no major planetary alignments in the next few decades. Even if there were, planetary alignment would have a negligible effect on Earth.

2) There are no planets or asteroids that are set to crash into Earth. Astronomers are watching out for that sort of thing, and they haven't seen any.

3) The Mayan calendar will end in 2012. Rather than signifying the end of the world, what instead will happen is that the calendar will reset.

More 2012 doomsday debunking courtesy of NASA.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html
    Last edited by Shadow Stalker; 12-13-2010, 01:22 AM.

3) The Mayan calendar will end in 2012. Rather than signifying the end of the world, what instead will happen is that the calendar will reset.
    This Doomsday myth especially drives me bloody nuts. The Mayans had no writting saying this was the end of the world, no belief that 2012 was special according to anything we've found. They just didn't get any futher than 2012 in there calender. Maybe the end of there civilization did it, maybe they just felt that a few hundred years into the future was far enough. Either way, this one always makes me grit my teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
      This Doomsday myth especially drives me bloody nuts. The Mayans had no writting saying this was the end of the world, no belief that 2012 was special according to anything we've found. They just didn't get any futher than 2012 in there calender. Maybe the end of there civilization did it, maybe they just felt that a few hundred years into the future was far enough. Either way, this one always makes me grit my teeth.
      Same here. I've also read somewhere that even the Mayans themselves hand-wave the "end of the Mayan calander = end of the world" thing as a silly Western superstition. (Or somewhere along those lines)

I've never believed in the 2012 doomsday theory ever since an episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit! covered the 2012 thing last year.

Comment

I think we are killing the planet more then anything else -_-

Comment

Well, we're certainly doing more harm than good. Although we're certainly not the terrible evil some people portray us as in some areas. Global Warming is the best example...we have ice core records showing the planet as both significantly hotter and colder before we could have possibly have had an affect. Are we having an affect? Almost certainly. I suspect we are exaserbating the situation. But I don't believe it to be nearly as dire as the TV tells me.

Now, deforestation and destroying animal populations...that is our fault, and something we need to seriously work on. I suggest firing everyone who I don't like into the sun by coating them in iron and firing them out of a giant railgun. We'll be 1/10th of the poplulation by the end of next year.

Comment

It's ok Regina will save us Hadron Collider = 3rd energy
            Last edited by kevstah2004; 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM.
            If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
              It's ok Regina will save us Hadron Collider = 3rd energy
              Yea like how she saved Dylan - oh wait
              Last edited by REmaster; 12-13-2010, 10:03 AM.
              "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
              Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Too bad I was actually hoping this world would get blown up or something. This world needs a big douche.

Comment

With 2012 clearly being nothing but hogwash, I'm just wondering what'll be our next big disaster event on the calendar?

We survived 2000, we'll survive 2012, but what's the next big thing we're not supposed to survive? I think we need to plan ahead here and make sure we've got our next big thing to be worried about lined up so that once 2013 hits, we're all good to go - no one wants to live a life without silly and superstitious worries!

Comment

The 6th of the 6th, 2066!

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                      With 2012 clearly being nothing but hogwash, I'm just wondering what'll be our next big disaster event on the calendar?

We survived 2000, we'll survive 2012, but what's the next big thing we're not supposed to survive? I think we need to plan ahead here and make sure we've got our next big thing to be worried about lined up so that once 2013 hits, we're all good to go - no one wants to live a life without silly and superstitious worries!
                      I think one of the main problems is that it's hard for people to except the possibilty that:

We're not special.

We're not the last generation.

We're not going to witness the end.

We're most likely going to die and fade into history like the countless others before us.

Bummer.

Every other movie/tv series these days is set in a post apocalyptic world, people are just starting to expect it.
                      Last edited by REmaster; 12-13-2010, 12:01 PM.
                      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
                        The 6th of the 6th, 2066!
                        Nothing says foreboding like 4 six's.

The end of the world won't happen, at least not in our life time. The planet will eventually die, like all planets do, but by that time life will probably have died out as well. The end of the world in terms of mass death/destruction, in my opinion, is nothing more than an attempt at religious brainwashing that sadly has afflicted society in order people to "answer the call" of their "god."
                        sigpic
                        Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                          Nothing says foreboding like 4 six's.

The end of the world won't happen, at least not in our life time. The planet will eventually die, like all planets do, but by that time life will probably have died out as well. The end of the world in terms of mass death/destruction, in my opinion, is nothing more than an attempt at religious brainwashing that sadly has afflicted society in order people to "answer the call" of their "god."
                          nononononono what u meen, check out mass effect 3 trailer reapers goin to STOMP LONDON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REAPERS GONNA STOMP
                          Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 12-13-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

just another flash animation i saw, so i thought i'd post cuz it kinda funny. NOTE:I did not make this.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Stalker View Post
                              Same here. I've also read somewhere that even the Mayans themselves hand-wave the "end of the Mayan calander = end of the world" thing as a silly Western superstition. (Or somewhere along those lines)

I've never believed in the 2012 doomsday theory ever since an episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit! covered the 2012 thing last year.
                              Agreed, I heard the same thing in a science magazine. The best 2012 has to offer is Elder Scrolls V (I think it will be delayed). And the movie was already bad enough for 2012.

And I should check out that episode, sounds interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X