Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft is begging people to stop using Internet Explorer 6.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft is begging people to stop using Internet Explorer 6.

The computer giant has even launched a website encouraging people to upgrade to a newer version. They even encourage people who have switched to tell all there friends, put banner ads on their sites, and tweet it out, as a way to "join the cause".

By most accounts, IE6 is considered to be obsolete, having launched an entire decade ago. Two subsequent revisions (IE7 and IE8) have launched in that span of time, with the newest version coming out in 2009.

Currently, 12% of the world's internet users are using IE 6. In the U.S. and the U.K., those numbers are down to 2.9% and 3.5% respectively. In China, however, a whopping 34.5% of its internet users are running IE6.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/m...rnet-explorer/

If it aint broke?
    sigpic

Comment

My job as sing IE6 up until yesterday. All of our corporate computers were "upgraded" and now run IE7 (OMG EXCITING RITE). So now I can stop using a bloated copy of FF portable and just IE7 (which with the registry edited the way it is only works 80% of the time for what I need). Thanks IT.

Comment

I think I'm using IE8 right now.
        See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid Cheese View Post
          If it aint broke?
          It IS beyond broken. One of the worst browsers (if no the worst) out there in terms of current web standars and secutiry risks that people still use because it's the default browser in Windows XP (which is still very much used).

I make websites and believe me, having IE6 around is a pain in the ass because want it or not as a designer you have to accomodate to the public and their crappy browser (meaning having to right conditional CSS so the site doesn't break in IE6 given it's deprecated code).

Comment

Mr. Rod, have you dabbled in HTML5 yet? I hate that IE likes to ignore elements it doesn’t recognize, regardless of CSS. Content is left floating in its parent’s container, as if the elements you've used in HTML5 didn’t exist. So in order to have is display correctly, you need to be a javascript ninja to get IE to render unknown elements (through the document.createElement(""); function)...

Comment

I stopped using IE6 because youtube stopped supporting it.

At present, I've stopped using Firefox because youtube videos won't start properly unless you clean all the cookies and whatever its in the browser's history. And that's a pain in the ass to do EACH TIME you wanna see a video.

So basically with me, I switch browsers whenever they don't allow me to watch youtube videos.

I don't care about the other stuff (security, getting hacked, raped, etc.)
              Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
              sigpic

Comment

Firefox lets me watch youtube without issue.
                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

I meant that'll be their attitude, more on the side of personal purpose if those people still using IE6 are happy to continue using it, they'll do so against advice. Even though they shoulda changed to Firefox or Chrome ages ago . . .
                  sigpic

Comment

Can't be helped sometimes I guess, my University PC's used to have IE6 only, had to sneak in firefox portable via USB's to get some decent browsing done. Most people probably wouldn't go through the hassle.
                    Last edited by A-J; 03-14-2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
                      Firefox lets me watch youtube without issue.
                      Apparently it was some sort of bug. It works fine now. Firefox, that is.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm sticking to Chrome.
                        Freedom of Information.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent View Post
                          I'm sticking to Chrome.
                          I was using Chrome but they tell me that Google keeps tabs on what you do while online. And they sell that info to a 3rd party. Thus that's how they know with what adverts they can shower you with.

And I really like ADBLOCK.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X