Stephen Fry, quite epic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Fry, quite epic

I've always loved watching him on TV and movies in his many roles but I think this wonderful speech he made a few years ago about how the Catholic Church isn't really a source for good in the world is really special.

I've probably watched this speech a handful of times and really do love how he presents his arguments and how much humanity and humor he mixes in.

When I first saw this, I was floored by how much evil the Catholic Church is still committing in this era

part 1
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

part 2
    Uploaded first by atheistmediablog, i don't care if you have alreadyseen it Stephen is absoloutely wonderful and some of you may not have.http://www.youtube....

its about a 20 minute speech but its well worth it.

Is that the same guy that is the narrator in those Pocoyo shorts?

Oh yeah... the Catholic church are the source of all evils alright. We get rid of that... and then it will be paradise. No evil at all.

I wonder how the world was like when there was no Catholic church. With no evil and stuff.
    Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
    sigpic

Comment

He's not saying its a source of all evil, but it is not a source of good.
      Try watching both links before you comment.

Comment

No need.

I was Catholic and already know everything I need to know about it. Thank you.

But it seems some need more ammo in their arguments against said church.

Not me.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
          No need.

I was Catholic and already know everything I need to know about it. Thank you.

But it seems some need more ammo in their arguments against said church.

Not me.
          His arguments against said church isn't just about child abuse dude, there are so many other factors he gets into and presents that it really makes you look at what the Catholic church with less respect.

Course when I say that I'm saying it as someone who is not catholic, I don't have the same experiences as you do but I'm also someone who tries to find the good in everything...course I've been slacking off that aspect the past few years but I still try.

This speech isn't a rant about how the church is there to cover up its own mistakes and gut peoples wallets, its about how its a hypocrisy to say that its a force for good in the world and that its truly there to help people.

There are many people who work in the church who are there to help people out and try to make the world a better place, but as a whole the organization is just there for power, and power alone and it will demonize whatever it wants in order to retain that power.

Comment

"the catholic church" and catholic church goers are two different things. The pope was in the hitler youth, but that doesn't make my mom evil.

Comment

Your absolutely right, did I say that the people who attend church regularly are evil? I hope I didn't, if I did I wasn't intending to do so.

Comment

No, I didn't even think it was just about the child abuse. Because there are like thousands of books that have been written about it since even before the first printing press was operational... and all of them describe how Catholics and the church is no good at all.

So there have been lots of arguments made against the church over the years. And thus why this comes to me as being somewhat "old news".

However, I understand that to some this can be a new thing. And that, these newcomers to the 'truth' can be filled with lots of indignation and rage.

I say this though... youtube is a great tool that can be used to educate people.
                sigpic

Comment

Not gonna bother commenting much on the Catholic thing. Really, they're no better and no worse than most other religious groups. They're just bigger, and so get more shit flung at them. And people tend to role in any religious things, or at least any Christian things, with the Church. Someone tried to argue that it's the Pope's fault the Westboro are up to stuff. Despite them not being connected.

On the other hand, Steven Fry is exceptionally awesome, and should be preserved forever and ever.

Comment

Debunking Roman Catholicism ;)
                    sigpic

Comment

Stephen Fry is a pretentious twat.

Comment

Do elaborate further.

Comment

pre·ten·tious/priˈtenCHəs/
                          Adjective: Attempting to impress by affecting greater culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
                          Last edited by Stu; 05-10-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I've read his new autobiography and he comes across as somewhat modest.

Also, did someone just invoke Godwin's Law earlier in the thread?
                            See you in hell.

Comment

I admit, I fail to see how Fry is pretentious. He's just better than the rest of us, and we should acknowledge that he is our genetic superior in every way.

Seriously, I've never seen anything to make me think he's especially pretentious. Especially not with that criteria - dude's pretty upper crust to start with.

Comment

Working...
                              X