Blasphemy & Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scream View Post
    I guess both Xenogears and Silent Hill are blasphemous pieces of art (coincidentally they're two of my favourite games). They question the true nature of god.. I really like Xenogear's story..

A man-made god (intended to be weapon) powered by a real god (wave existence) from another dimension, shipped away because it was too powerful, subsequently killing the humans, crash landing on an alien planet and creating the first generation of humans, capable of reincarnation - an endless cycle, who would assist/defend the god.
    Add nearly every Shin Megami Tensei/Persona game to that list, where the world's composed of every last mythological and religious figure, some more powerful than the others, and they're all designated as "demons."

Shit, the second one has multiple endings, Spoiler:
    YHVH, but mostly his followers (angels such as Gabriel, Michael, etc) are portrayed in a thoroughly negative light, with acts such as "brain in a vat" mind control machines on humans to create an ideal nation.

As for Silent Hill (never played Xenogears, but damn I want to), they're easily my favorite canon of games. Not necessarily for any content which would be considered "blasphemous," but just for their immensely fleshed out characters, imagery, and general design. Game writers/designers should use the first 3 as models for storytelling (I know the rest of them are grey areas but damn if SH4 isn't a thorough character examination).
    Last edited by GuardhouseMusic; 05-11-2011, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Yep, I would definitely check it out, it is the most epic game I've ever played (usual playtime 60-85 hours). Many different influences, religion, sci-fi, philosophy (both Freudian and Nietzschean concepts are present). There's just so many levels to it.. Gameplay is decent too with a lot of depth.

Silent Hill is equally awesome - I agree the first 3 games are perfection in terms of design and atmosphere. I'm probably most fond of SH3, great soundtrack as I enjoy listening to Claudia's rambling..
      "Remember me, and your true self as well. Also that which you must become. The one who will lead us to Paradise with blood-stained hands..."

"The world is teeming with unnecessary people. It's God's decision that I fight. As a knight of honor, as protector of the seal, I sacrifice myself to the blood of criminals."

Comment

I reckon there's a very special place reserved for me in hell when I die.

If it turns out to be real that is.
        See you in hell.

Comment

I don't think it is Spencer - but look on the bright side, I'll be there too if I'm wrong. We shall have to have a BBQ over hell's eternal flames.

Comment

You've got yourself a deal. You bring the pork chops and I'll bring the beer, we'll have a drink.
            See you in hell.

Comment

...can we have real food and real drinks? I can't stand the taste of pork, for the most part, and beer tastes like distilled evil. Burgers and tequila good for you?

Comment

Sure I can roll with that, bring some quarter pounders and I'll provide the strong spirits, vodka, scotch, tequila, name your poison.
                See you in hell.

Comment

Working...
                X