No announcement yet.

Prometheus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that felt good. See you guys in another few months.

Comment

• one of the best final character scenes ever, just sayin.

Comment

• Also it's ridiculous to say I followed a movie/topic whatever before any of you when there is no proof, evidence or fuck all to back it up. How sad this thread has been completely derailed.

Saw the UK 30 advert today, some new footage, can't believe it's just less than 3 weeks, got tickets for the 1st so it cannot come soon enough.
        http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
        http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
        Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

• Well, rehunk has taken a brief holiday, and will hopefully calm the hell down now...and so will everyone else.

Comment

• Pretty pumped for this. I bought Alien and Aliens on blu-ray to get ready for it, watched it on a HD tv and holy shit...Alien looks amazing. I could never appreciate all the brilliant shots and little details until I saw it in this quality. Aliens had always been my favorite of the series, now it's hard to say.

Aliens is one of the best action movies ever, but Alien is just so damn beautiful and I've always been a fan of the ship's retro interior with padded walls and big clunky buttons.

By the way, did Bishop turn anyone else off milk?
            Last edited by REmaster; 05-14-2012, 04:34 AM.
            "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
            Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

• Melted vanilla ice cream too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                Well, 3 weeks to go until the film comes out. Moderately excited to see it, the one person I wish would see it was the late Dan O'Bannon who was the writer of the original script. He also wrote 'Return of the Living Dead' and 'Total Recall'.

Not the greatest writer, but a hard working one. Poor guy passed away in 2009 from Crohn's disease. I know for certain he'd definitely have wanted to be a part of this movie
                Yeah, a shame though O'Bannon has done well out of Alien considering. His original script 'STARBEAST' is god awful. David Giler and Walter Hill turned it into the masterpiece that it ended up being. Even Ronald Shusset was the one who came up with the chestburster idea, not O'Bannon.

O'Bannon was very bitter about Giler and Hill's re-write of his script. They added the Ash android subplot and all the stuff about 'The Company' and he hated it.

Giler and Hill also created Ripley's character.

I think O'Bannon's greatest contribution to the series was introducing Ridley Scott to HR Giger.
                Last edited by TheBatMan; 05-14-2012, 06:42 AM.
                "I've got 100 cows."
                "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

• You watched the making of featurettes on Youtube a few days ago too, didn't you?

Comment

• First preview clip is out, and it's of Prometheus landing

The sets and style look fantastic, and there's a distinct 'Alien' vibe from the direction, similar shots.etc.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by [STARS]TyranT; 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM.
                    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                      You watched the making of featurettes on Youtube a few days ago too, didn't you?
                      Nah, but I've watched them countless times on the Quadrilogy DVD. Really fascinated by the making of the Alien saga. I've also read every Alien script I could get my hands on.
                      It's quite a cool notion that O'Bannon came up with the idea when he was broke, unemployed and living on Shussett's sofa. Same with The Terminator. Cameron had the vision of the Terminator walking through fire when he had a nightmare whilst suffering a fever. He then mapped out the film on his dictaphone when he was a truck driver driving through Italy on his own at nights.
                      "I've got 100 cows."

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBatMan View Post
                        I think O'Bannon's greatest contribution to the series was introducing Ridley Scott to HR Giger.
                        No actually it was the 'STARBEAST' script. Without it, nothing would've been rewritten and no one would've been introduced to this guy or that guy. So he deserves a lot of credit for coming up with the spark that ignited everything that came after. It's a pretty big deal.
                        Last edited by Pikminister; 05-14-2012, 03:17 PM.
                        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                          No actually it was the 'STARBEAST' script. Without it, nothing would've been rewritten and no one would've been introduced to this guy or that guy. So he deserves a lot of credit for coming up with the spark that ignited everything that came after. It's a pretty big deal.
                          Well yeah that's kind of obvious. But I believe looking back at Alien and how it was made and what the series has evolved into O'Bannon got more credit than what he deserved in my book. He didn't come up with Ripley, he didn't come up with Ash, he didn't come up with Weyland-Yutani, he didn't come up with the chestburster, he didn't come up with the creature.
                          "I've got 100 cows."

Comment

• I think he deserves credit for all those things existing and coming together in the first place. Because none of those things would've taken form if not for that script. No Ash, Ripley, Weyland, chestbuster or even the shitty spin-off movies. Absolutely nothing.

You take that script out of the equation, and nothing goes down. Regardless what an SOB he was and what he was against. He made that script and everything happened because of it.

So even if he likes it or not, he takes credit for making it happen. Unless he can go back in time and change stuff.
                            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                            sigpic

Comment

• O'Bannon doesn't get enough Credit I think. Problem comes down too that this really was a team effort, but the team didn't want to work together really. Walter Hill even tried to remove O'Bannons credit as a writer and list himself as the sole screenwriter.

O'bannon DID come up with the creature, but he didn't come up with the design.That was all Giger, the chest burster idea came from O'Bannons producer friend Ronald Shusett .

The script had characters written to be either men or women, which worked in its favor because that let Walter Hill have some free reign on his re-write. Ripley was written by O'Bannon and Shusett, and then expanded upon by Walter Hill. Hill was the one who ended up making the call that Ripley was a woman

Dan and Ron got the ball going and created the world, Walter Hill expanded that world by the inclusion of the Weyland-Yutani corporation and Ash the Android(Which O'Bannon and Shusett both agreed was a really great addition) and Ridley Scott and Giger brought the world to life visually.

The problem was really that Walter Hill was a douche about the script really, he hated Sci-fi and didnt like the initial script to begin with, or the characters, or even the characters names. But he was the one who was mostly in charge of the film, I mean fuck everyone who made the film what it was, with the exception of Walter Hill was just treated like awful shit by the studio suits.

It was a team effort but really, Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett, Ridley Scott and Giger were the ones who I felt contributed the most, but Walter Hill is the one who tried to take all the credit for it. Which is a shame because everyone who added to the project was equally important.

Comment

• Yes, and again all that is obvious. I think with the exception of rehunk88 we are all of above average IQ not to have to point out that without STARBEAST, Alien would not have gotten made. And nor did I say O'Bannon deserves no credit.

STARBEAST is a god awful script, bad dialogue, poor characters, poor pacing etc. It's only redeeming feature was the chestburster scene, which is credited to Ronald Shussett. O'Bannon stated countless times that he had written the first act of his script, which was humans receive a distress call and set down on the planet. They find the ship, then the pyramid, then the Alien. But he was stumped on how the alien life form would get onto the human ship. This was how they came up with the idea of the facehugger and the chestburster.

STARBEAST was name changed to Alien and was originally going to be a Roger Corman b-movie. O'Bannon even did sketches of his vision of the Alien itself which was basically a mass of tentacles akin to something out of The Thing, and the facehugger was a jellyfish.

So to give O'Bannon all the credit, STARBEAST/ALIEN would have been a one-off forgettable b-movie in space, nothing more.

It was only through Hill and Giler's re-writes and changes, Ridley Scott's infamous 'Ridleygrams' that doubled the budget and the design of the Alien itself that set the recipe for success. O'Bannon had previously worked on the cancelled Dune project which was how he knew of H.R. Giger's work. (Interestingly, his design for the Harnokken kingdom has been reused as the pyramid with the skull face in Prometheus.)

@Wrath, O'Bannon hated the Ash idea.
                                Last edited by TheBatMan; 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM.
                                "I've got 100 cows."

Comment

Working...
                                X