Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irelands internet access now owned by the RIAA...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irelands internet access now owned by the RIAA...

Ireland today passed new legislation that allows copyright holders to force Internet providers to block 'pirate' websites. Dubbed 'SOPA Ireland,' the

--------
    To all Irish folks on the forum I am so sorry that these RIAA trollfucks managed to get away with this. I don't know if you can get your government to remove this totalitarian crap, but I wish you the best of luck.

SOPA passed int he US(Thank you Obama) and I'm sure that the bullshit will be hitting us soon enough :/.

Heres to a free internet.

SOPA passed? I thought it was dropped, people were all happy about it, what happened?

Comment

Thank god I live in Northern Ireland.

I'm pretty sure SOPA was recalled in the US. It will never pass there. "SOPA" was passed in Ireland without parliamentary vote, which is scummy.

By the way, this is not the SOPA. It's a separate law: "S.I. No. 337/2011 — European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Service and Users' Rights) Regulations 2011"
      Last edited by News Bot; 03-01-2012, 07:42 PM.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

SOPA is more control bullshit from people, who already have power, don't think they have enough.

Obama signed ACTA, not SOPA, srry.

Comment

I understand what SOPA and PIPA were and I'm glad that they didn't pass, but I'm a little behind with the times. What exactly is ACTA? I assume it was an offshoot of SOPA?
          See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post

SOPA passed int he US(Thank you Obama) and I'm sure that the bullshit will be hitting us soon enough :/.

Heres to a free internet.

SOPA died quite a while ago, dude. Never came close to Obama's desk for him to sign. The only politician who is still trying to revive it (with something similar) is Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas).
            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
            sigpic

Comment

I already corrected my mistake Pikminister, I"m sorry that your correction is now irrelevant.

Comment

An interesting quote from the new RIAA overlord...what a douche.

Comment

We've had the unfortunate by-product of ACTA for a while now. It doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought, mostly it requires heavy complaint from the single copyright holder and most of the news has been about people illegally downloading music, specifically pop stuff. I've yet to hear of any TV or Movie issues. But you get a 3 strikes warning first before your ISP is legally required to cut your net access. It still hasn't gone down well here.

Our local police force seemingly wanted to co-operate with the FBI regarding Megaupload/Kim Dotcom but out legal system is currently sending a big FU to the US Govt. over the legal ramifications by allowing all the accused bail and questioning if there is even just cause for extridition charges given the "worldwide" scope of the issue. Wish they were the ones deciding on ACTA joining here in NZ and not the ties actual Govt. with American corporate backhanders. The agreement seems in line to be the price we paid to "allow" filming of The Hobbit in NZ. Sad as that is.

Comment

American corporate backhanders

Douche bags good sir, we call them douche bags :3

Comment

SOPA is just a distraction to get people's attention away from what's being passed/approved behind the scenes, still a big problem, but it's not the government's main focus at all. =/

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                        I already corrected my mistake Pikminister, I"m sorry that your correction is now irrelevant.
                        Sorry, didn't read the other posts here. You should edit that OP, though.

And my post is relevant in the fact that it points out that some politicians are STILL trying to come up with a SOPA-type bill. That one from Rep. Smith is relatively new.
                        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yep Smith and Harry Reid are trying to push it...fuckers.

Comment

Working...
                          X