Biohazard 1.5 Comparative Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biohazard 1.5 Comparative Analysis

Hello everyone! I hope yet another 1.5 thread isn't in bad taste, I "found" some things a little while back that you might find interesting so I wanted to share it and maybe hear from the resident experts on the subject (if this doesn't belong here, please delete it, thanks.)

The topic of Biohazard 1.5 has had no shortage of discussion over the last 15 years, but I decided to start from scratch and look into it myself anyway. I've noted differences between the game as shown throughout it's development and have placed it into roughly seven eras not counting the re-planned version. As such, I'm relying on dated press material, publications, videos and background data with comparative analysis between the available information.

For historical purposes the first era would most likely take place from April 1996 to July 1996. There is very little known from this period so if you have anything to share please do. Now the interesting part is that the last era may not be the Inflames source build, or the Complete Disc - if it's related. If this is true then an actual "final" build has never been demonstrated to the public and there might be some evidence to support this.

Let's have a look at the period of December 7 1996 - December 21 1996

Take a close look at this room:

And a closer look:

Now, here's the Inflames screenshot of this room:

It is of course entirely possible that the backgrounds were simply never implemented:

Not only is the lighting different, but the camera is very slightly repositioned:

It's thought that because the light is off it's from an earlier build, but not necessarily given some of it's accompanying data (above.)

Heading to November 7 1996 - November 28 1996 we might find a good period for the Curator (and possibly the GoroMacida and the "Facebook contact") build. Here's one possible piece of evidence:

When Elza uses the control panel in this scene there is an additional close up shot not seen in the Curator video (or not shown, or edited out.)

Here's the sequence from the Curator version:

Here are the backgrounds for the room, last modified on November 28 1996:

.GIF versions:

Going back further!

September - October 1996

And of course..

August - September 1996

July 1996

There are of course many, many more details, but I wanted to start with a rough overview and maybe get some feedback
    Last edited by Ys1; 08-17-2012, 12:08 AM.

Great comparisons! Please do continue, it's nice to see some genuine work being done. One thing that really surprises me is that the Bioflames build actually predates the Trial Edition, like you said there's no telling if the backgrounds ever got used but they deffinately show what could be considered the final era of 1.5, something I had always reserved for the Bioflames build.

I have to admit I much prefer the Sep/Oct backgrounds over the Nov backgrounds, some of them just look really wierd and un-natural. I guess they thought the camera angles were too basic and wanted some more dynamic shots.

I've always been curious about the unfinished (greenish) street shots with cars and railings, can you tell me what their last modification date was? I could never make out what they were supposed to represent, I'm interested to see if they predate the RE2 streets or not. I always imagined they're sections which eventually got used in RE3 but never really looked into it.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2012, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geluda View Post
      I've always been curious about the unfinished (greenish) street shots with cars and railings, can you tell me what their last modification date was?.
      These ones?

Comment

Nice read, I would also if you get the time to post this on the 1,2,3 modding forums since I think a lot of people on there would be interested too. One other thing you need to do a comparison of is the factory front from the image leaks since there is no squad car whatsoever in that render/image of Leon standing there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ys1 View Post
          It is of course entirely possible that the backgrounds were simply never implemented:

I vaguely remember Alzaire telling me a long time ago that the images you labeled "Dec 21" above actually predate the Inflames build. However, something tells me that they may be newer, and as you hypothesize, never implemented. It makes more sense to add details in later stages, and the Dec 21 images in this case are clearly more detailed than the Inflames version.

Comment

That's a pretty nice comparison.

Comment

Very good. This is the kind of stuff I planned for the in-depth feature I had planned to do years ago.
              sigpic

Comment

Nice work! All these tiny little differences... Can't say they didn't put the effort into the backgrounds I suppose.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Nice info, thanks for posting it! I'm actually hoping that if 1.5 does surface, that we get the September/October build. Honestly, it just looks way better and more appealing. It looks awesome. The camera angles in the November shots just don't seem to match the mood as well at all.
                  Last edited by Deus Flux; 08-17-2012, 07:15 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

This is gonna sound weird and maybe out there, but I do some amateur photography. Whenever you shoot anything from "above" (a person or place), it instantly removes the viewer from that situation. You become an observer, and are safe, so to speak, to scrutinize or survey. The reason the Oct. camera angles may look better or more appealing, is because they're closer to where eye level would be for a person standing in that room. Generally, as a viewer, you would feel more connected, and maybe it's just me, but there's a tone of fear, since the zombies are on the same walking "plane" as well. Hope that made sense, if anyone is even curious lol.

On topic: great analysis, thank you! One thing I have been curious about myself, has anyone ever done an analysis of the zombie models? The different kinds that existed, and how much they've changed? You can see in the later builds, the skinny zombie cops in full blue uniform were altered throughout the builds, with added details and blood stains applied. Would be an interested analysis, at least I think.
                    Last edited by doriantoki; 08-17-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Flux View Post
                      Nice info, thanks for posting it! I'm actually hoping that if 1.5 does surface, that we get the September/October build. Honestly, it just looks way better and more appealing. It looks awesome. The camera angles in the November shots just don't seem to match the mood as well at all.
                      While I hope to get the latest build possible, I wouldn't mind any build. I agree about the camera angles, but for me it's not a worthy tradeoff for a less complete game.

When I think about the sheer amount of information we as a 1.5 community collectively possess, I feel a slight sense of satisfaction already. Think about how much more we know now than back in the early millennium when Inflames first got those exclusive snapshots. I'm sure together we have more images, videos, and information than Capcom ever dreamed a bunch of fans could dig up. I think it would be really cool to make a timeline of progress the community has made (if one doesn't already exist), with some milestones being Inflames' contact, the various PS Museum/Goromacida/Curator installments, c2keo's nearly flawless backgrounds, Martin's mods, and now this latest reconstruction project / documentary (stemming from Facebook and/or YouTube I hear? TV GamerSpace? I'm kind of out of the loop these days).

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                        I'm sure together we have more images, videos, and information than Capcom ever dreamed a bunch of fans could dig up. I think it would be really cool to make a timeline of progress the community has made (if one doesn't already exist), with some milestones being Inflames' contact, the various PS Museum/Goromacida/Curator installments, c2keo's nearly flawless backgrounds, Martin's mods, and now this latest reconstruction project / documentary (stemming from Facebook and/or YouTube I hear? TV GamerSpace? I'm kind of out of the loop these days).
                        There was going to a compendium on this site of information on 1.5, Dot50cal and Alzaire were working on it, but I think the plan has been scrapped?...

One can always go digging through the Bioflames forum, can be tedious if you're looking for specifics though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vixtro View Post
                          There was going to a compendium on this site of information on 1.5, Dot50cal and Alzaire were working on it, but I think the plan has been scrapped?...

One can always go digging through the Bioflames forum, can be tedious if you're looking for specifics though.
                          We're working on a similar thing for Project Umbrella.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Ys1 View Post
                            These ones?

Yeah they're the ones. I always thought they were related to RE3 but now the resemblance is obvious, especially considering their dates. That last picture in particular always reminded me of the area where you use the lighter to burn the rope in the first section of RE3, I guess not. It's interesting to see such early prototype backgrounds, they've hardly modelled anything it's surprisingly basic, god knows how they get from that to final I couldn't imagine the talent and effort that goes into it.

Comment

Some time ago, I used to think these pictures were another part of the game, after the laboratory. With Raccoon City quarantined.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2012, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X