No announcement yet.

Biohazard 1.5 Comparative Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a static camera environment without proper surround sound, especially if you have no way of manipulating the camera, audio cues are pretty useless for positioning of stuff (unless the object placement is purely alligned on a horizontal axis) :/

Comment

I forgot to mention something more obvious...

If the camera were eye-level with Elza and pointing at her face, and a zombie approached her head-on, the zombie would walk right through the bloody camera, exposing ugly polygon glitches (they would be rendered at the same rate as the zombie's sluggish approach).
      Last edited by Enigmatism415; 08-30-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
        In a static camera environment without proper surround sound, especially if you have no way of manipulating the camera, audio cues are pretty useless for positioning of stuff (unless the object placement is purely alligned on a horizontal axis) :/
        I think that's the point, though. It's more "oh there's something in this room that wants to tear and/or eat my face off, I should be careful", instead of "oh there's something in this room and I know EXACTLY where it is". Knowing exact enemy placement would kill all of the tension.

Enigmatism;

That's a great point. I think this is probably the best answer as to why they moved the cameras higher.

Comment

^Agreed, as dynamic as the angles were the technical problems that come with it would probably outweigh the benefits.

Comment

Good points have been made, but still, I must disagree. I stand by my choice of the camera in the earlier build. It closely resembles the one used in the first Dino Crisis, and that game plays fine and can be really tense with the camera being the way it is.

But one thing however: Dino Crisis uses a "chase cam" which follows the player. I wonder if that early build of 1.5 played the same way?
            sigpic

Comment

I doubt it because they're not fully 3D environments.

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Flux View Post
                It closely resembles the one used in the first Dino Crisis, and that game plays fine and can be really tense with the camera being the way it is.
                The environments in the first Dino Crisis are rendered in real-time, precluding the camera issues inherent to games with static pre-rendered backgrounds.

Comment

Great thread but where are you getting these dates from? by looking at the file information?

Comment

Originally posted by drunkdog View Post
                    Great thread but where are you getting these dates from? by looking at the file information?
                    I don't know the specifics but yes the backgrounds contain information on the date in which it was last modified.

Comment

Originally posted by geluda View Post
                      I don't know the specifics but yes the backgrounds contain information on the date in which it was last modified.
                      I figured that's where he was getting it from, this is all very interesting, hopefully we can keep digging out new information while we wait.....

Ys1, that map is a beauty and looks correct, do you plan on making more?

Comment

Originally posted by drunkdog View Post
                        Ys1, that map is a beauty and looks correct, do you plan on making more?
                        I second that.

It reminded me of that other BH1.5 project, the aerial-view 2D one. I forgot the name of the guy working on it (BiohazardStar?), but about 5 or 6 years ago I remember talking with him about it on MSN. I wonder how far it has come along...

Comment

I'm surprised someone still remembers that little project of mine. Unfortunately I lost the files after my HDD crashed. Here's a mock-up of how it would have looked like, had I worked on it some more.

Spoiler:
                          Seibu teh geimu?
                          ---

Comment

oh no! Do you plan to reboot? I remember saving some really early screenshots you sent me but that was on my old HDD which was lost years ago... but those looked more Gameboy style if memory serves.

Comment

Probably not, since the "Italian" group would've probably already released 1.5 before I actually get any significant work done on a project like this. And those are actually the same backgrounds that I sent to you, just with some Photoshop work done in order to make it less 2D-ish. The magnificent tilesets used in the project were actually created by c2keo.
                              Seibu teh geimu?
                              ---

Comment

It looks like with my current project. Here:

Comment

Working...
                                X