Biohazard Chronicles Hd Selection Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GEORGE TREVOR View Post
    I agree. What extraordinary double-standards. The guy is significantly less abusive & obnoxious than another member here, who seems to turn the mods into bumbling sycophants. It's not exclusive to THIA, as BIOHAZE is even more guilty of pandering to that vile individual, whilst other far less guilty parties find themselves equally unfairly banned.
    There's a report system. It works pretty well. If people don't use it, only the stuff we skim through on our own time gets noticed. It's as simple as that. There's also a thread in the comments and suggestion forums where people can ask about banned members and inquire about their bans and voice for them to be lifted and so forth (moderators can jump in on that, always could and always will be able to - unless they're simply not around.)

No clue who this "individual" is, but, as I said, there's a report function and it works very well - especially if the reports comes with actual arguments and explanations as for why the reported post is worthy of attention. (It's pretty darned annoying and demotivating getting a report for something where the report note is about as well written as "BAN THIS FUCKER." and then you're presented with a thread of 10+ pages and no clue where to start.) People are pretty darned quick at moaning about how someone's not doing a good enough job or how someone's not doing this or that, when they're really not doing anything themselves in order to help out - other than quietly moaning and indirectly pissing on about how some sort of vaguely hinted at X or Y is not being done or could've been better.

As for the ban reason; let me break this down in simple steps;

-Guy makes thread about unsatisfactory experience with a product
    -People start pointing fingers
    -Technical insight is provided
    -Accusations of console warrior nonsense is thrown out (Buy a mirror)
    -A more detailed breakdown of the technical mumbo-jumbo behind it all is given as a respons, to point out it's not just "LOL PS3".
    -Armchair moderation starts, along with the accusations of people doing a poor mod job, threads being derailed (shifting blame), and such.
    -Bogger off, you've had one too many tonight. Come back once you've sobered up.

In his defense; he has one good point -> Umbrella Chronicles is the better game of the two Chronicles releases.
    Last edited by Carnivol; 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM. Reason: BOSS

Comment

I just think a lot of other people have done a lot worse and you were involved in the argument so the ban decision should be made by someone else. Additionally as I mentioned you picked an odd time to do it, right when he said everyone should move on and he even provided a different line of discussion.

You also knew it was an iffy call or else you wouldn't have made a point of it when you posted when you banned him.

I think GT is referring to Stu, and that is as always a good example of someone who gets away with much more everywhere he goes. I don't have any issues with him but it's a true statement.
      Last edited by Rombie; 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I'd love to let another mod "handle" it, but when I look at my MSN list these days; there are none. (Or, well, I think TheSelfishGene's at least partially around.) I prefer a short turn-around on things, so waiting two days++ for a mod to chime in (if one can't be summoned on short notice) just isn't an option. People have "moved on" by then

As for Stu; he at least has a pile of "should probably tone it down" PMs in his inbox from me, possibly from other mods too. The "problem" with Stu is as I've said before; it's hard to deal with when he often more or less posts the exact thing we would've loved to say (but couldn't) and it's usually those posts people tend to report too; someone hitting the submit button before thinking things through, Stu pointing it out, they don't like it and report it. It's a tricky situation. (Of course, he probably has a pile of straight out insulting posts too, but people need to use the report function ... 'Cause I'm not gonna give people infractions/bans/whatever 'cause someone SAYS there are inappropriate posts - we need to SEE the inappropriate posts.)

Comment

I know there isn't a lot of mods around, which is an issue. And normally I have nothing wrong with your modding, because you're fairly on the ball... but I just think moderating something you're involved in is never a great move, and then secondly the timing with which you did it couldn't have looked worse. Leaving Crimson to post for two more days, especially if he was planning on changing the subject, wouldn't have been moving on if you'd PM'ed him, told him the deal, and then messaged someone like Gene to make a decision. It's not like there was a major risk, and even so the warning would have included the fact that if he had done more it was an instaban. Otherwise I'm certain you could have suspended rather than banned on the same basis if you were somehow worried about posts. As I said from the start, I just thought it was quite heavy handed overall.

I don't mean to keep this convo going, I've said really all I need to otherwise... so don't think it's a further problem, I understand where you're coming from... I just don't agree with it.

Is there other people around here you can put as mods who are on slighly more often? I know this forum isn't as busy as it once was and the people involved with the site aren't around as much.

Comment

I'm around, and I read just about everything. But my wife's computer is down so she's sharing mine until we can repair/replace her machine, and that's really cutting into my time on the computer. That and even when I am on, I tend not to turn on MSN. The few people I actually like talking to tend not to be on too often, or are busy doing other things, so instead I get tales of woe and drama and bullshit.

Really need to trim my list back...

But yes, I agree it was harsh to ban the dude. He's not the most pleasant member, but there are a couple of others (Stu springing instantly to mind) who are a hell of a lot more unpleasant and haven't gotten the same kind of reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
              I take it you refer to stuff like the various "Trilogy" packs, which some of still do HDD access (some of which also do full HDD installs, down to the point of even including FMVs and audio streams, despite keeping those on disc would've been just as fine.) Besides, the HD collections for the Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles is much more resource heavy than any other HD collection out there, as the originals pretty extensively utilize the 88MB of RAM the Wii has vs the 32MB the PS2 has (which are the original system specs most of those other HD collections were designed around).

Throw into the mix that the PS2's DVD-ROM is a 2~4x (iirc), vs whatever the Wii drive reads at (which is probably somewhere between the 6~12x range)
              (For the sake of comparison, the PS3s CAV BD-ROM reads data from BD storage media at 2x BD speed, which is roughly below 6x in DVD-ROM speed)
              How about HotD Overkill that runs fine, better than on the Wii and doesn't require an install at all? Wii rail shooter ported to PS3. I don't think can get a better comparison though GoldenEye Reloaded is another.

Capcom are being cheap and it shows especially for all 7 of their HD ports. All of the better quality HD ports run from disc and do not install, cherry picking a few low/lower quality ones and acting like is the rule or a technical limitation isn't going to fly. I don't see the point of pretending different.
              Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                How about HotD Overkill that runs fine, better than on the Wii and doesn't require an install at all? Wii rail shooter ported to PS3. I don't think can get a better comparison though GoldenEye Reloaded is another.

Capcom are being cheap and it shows especially for all 7 of their HD ports. All of the better quality HD ports run from disc and do not install, cherry picking a few low/lower quality ones and acting like is the rule or a technical limitation isn't going to fly. I don't see the point of pretending different.
                Overkill was done by Headstrong both for the Wii and the PS3. GoldenEye Reloaded was Eurocom all the way and wasn't really a "port," as it was multiplatform title from the start, but likely given Nintendo Wii exclusivity as part of the rather messed up license and legacy surrounding the GoldenEye trademark and license.

Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles were developed by CAVIA, which was shut down two years prior to the HD collection's release. I'm surprised Capcom even had any type of access to their codebase for those projects. No clue who handled the port job, but TOSE is usually the "go to" guys for quick/cheap port jobs, so it's not unthinkable Capcom turned to them. (TOSE being Japan's equivalent of Backbone, I suppose).

I dunno which HD ports you're referring to, so I'll do a breakdown of what I've got on the top of my head right now;

Prince of Persia HD Trilogy
                -Lacks various effects
                -Mandatory install
                -Budget price
                -3 games
                -Based on PS2 version(?)

Splinter Cell HD Trilogy
                -Mandatory install
                -Budget price
                -3 games
                -Based on PC(?) (Arguably based off the wrong version)

Silent Hill HD Collection
                -Garbage
                -Budget price
                -2 games
                -Based on incomplete PS2

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
                -Solid
                -Regular retail price
                -3 games
                -Peace Walker handled by original dev
                -Based on PS2

Sly Raccoon Trilogy
                -Game breaking bugs
                -Budget price
                -3 games + bonus
                -Based on PS2

Devil May Cry Trilogy
                -Budget price
                -3 games
                -Based on PS2

House of the Dead: Overkill
                -Full price
                -Handled by original dev
                -Based on Wii hardware

House of the Dead 3
                -Budget price
                -Handled by original dev(?)
                -Based on Chihiro hardware source

Ice & Shadow of the Colossus
                -Full price
                -2 games
                -Based on PS2

God of War Collection 1
                -full price
                -2 games
                -Based on PS2

God of War Collection 2
                -full price
                -2 games
                -Based on PSP

Tekken Hybrid
                -Budget price
                -Based on PS2 version (not the inferior System 12 version)

Resident Evil 4 HD
                -Budget price
                -Based on all previous versions (hybrid clusterfuck, but content heavy)

Code: Veronica X HD
                -Budget price
                -PS2 version with MT Framework rendering engine

GoldenEye
                -Full retail price
                -Handled by original dev
                -Not really a port, but initial release was Wii.

Ratchet and Clank HD trilog:
                -budget price
                -3 games
                -Based on PS2

Noticing any patterns here? Sure! Maybe they could've delivered a product that didn't require an install, but it'd require more work and then you'd have people moan about it being too expensive.
                Last edited by Carnivol; 09-05-2012, 08:30 PM. Reason: BOSS

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                  Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
                  -Solid
                  -Regular retail price
                  -3 games
                  -Peace Walker handled by original dev
                  -Based on PS2

House of the Dead: Overkill
                  -Full price
                  -Handled by original dev
                  -Based on Wii hardware

Ice & Shadow of the Colossus
                  -Full price
                  -2 games
                  -Based on PS2

God of War Collection 1
                  -full price
                  -2 games
                  -Based on PS2

God of War Collection 2
                  -full price
                  -2 games
                  -Based on PSP

Noticing any patterns here?
                  All budget price releases labled as full price releases?
                  Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

They were all released at the lower end of the range full retail is at.
                    (Heck, Overkill was full standard SEGA price.)

And those titles there (excluding Overkill, the most expensive of them too, which is one title, handled by the original dev) all are from platforms that are notably inferior to the target platform in every aspect.

[edit] Okay. Seems EU and US MSRP varied on those titles. US had 49.99$ on all those 'cept God of War Collection 1-2 which were in the same bin as the rest (39.99$ each?)
                    Last edited by Carnivol; 09-06-2012, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Have they patched the MGS HD Collection free of its bugs? I'd heard they were quite numerous from retail, and I'm not keen on the Guy Savage sequence cut from MGS3 either.
                      http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                      http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                      Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Not sure about the US but a patch was released for the PAL version which fixed the SD display issues and also supposedly brought back the sea lice missing from the cutscene. Not sure about the Guy Savage thing though. What made that latterly worse was that it appeared in the trailer for the HD collection MGS3 version (which of itself was a redo of one of the final launch trailers for both games).

My understanding is now as well the reason the theater with the funny videos also didn't appear wasn't due to quality but a copyright issue with the track used in the MGS4 announcement trailer (the one with the directors chairs), so it couldn't be included. Because the track was also on the downloadable MGS4 list in the game at one stage but was pulled due to it as well.

Comment

I'm a huge MGS fan and I hadn't even heard of Guy Savage... that's crazy! I would say that the MGS HD Collection is the reference for how HD remakes should be (but why couldn't they re-render the pre-rendered videos in HD??)

Comment

To the unitiated, Guy Savage is a hidden mini game in MGS3 that occurs if you save and quit after you have conversation with Paramedic about vampires. When you reload, you wont restart as Snake, but as Guy Savage, Vampire Hunter! It lasts a few minutes then Snake wakes up and it was all a dream. Amazing easter egg. Shamelessly cut from the HD remake.
                            http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                            http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                            Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Yeah they removed that for reasons unknown along with the secret theatre.

Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                              I'm a huge MGS fan and I hadn't even heard of Guy Savage... that's crazy! I would say that the MGS HD Collection is the reference for how HD remakes should be (but why couldn't they re-render the pre-rendered videos in HD??)
                              They actually have a lot of weird issues that come and go between different playthroughs.

Comment

Working...
                              X