Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post

best video game music ever.
    That REALLY sounds like it should have been music in Dino Crisis instead.
    A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

A solid 8. The enhanced combat system will easily make this the most replayable title in the series for me. And I haven't even touched Mercenaries yet.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't think it will make it "easily" the most replayable title in the series. It's so linear and tedious at times that I personally won't replay the chapters at all. As for mercenaries, the lack of bosses and the irritating music dooms it.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
          7/10.

Designed by committee, too much fluff, not enough focus, not enough polish, story not laid out well, things not explained well, not enough exposition, too much potential for the plot simply not taken advantage of, not enough exploration, too linear, too many enemies with guns, too many blockbuster set-pieces, too many explosions, not enough creepiness. Jake and Sherry would have worked better relegated to cut-scenes, with Sherry getting her own REV-style game later. Jake can fuck off, although he's alright in cut-scenes. Ada was handled badly. Shotaro Suga can't write anything for this series worth a dick.

Despite all that, a fairly solid and very fun game with fantastic enemy designs for the most part. Just feels like a bit of a waste of money on CAPCOM's part.

Death to QTEs.
          This pretty much sums up my thoughts, too. As far as each campaign goes...

Leon: 6/10

Zombies returning was nice, but a bit out of place for this style of gameplay. Loved about 40% of this campaign, disliked the rest. Was advertized to be survival horror, but was more like a generic linear TPS. Most of the bosses were dull and had fights that were far too dragged-out. Too many scripted events and QTEs.

Chris: 8/10

Best campaign by far. Some call it a "dudebro marine campaign," but I really didn't get that vibe at all, save for a few moments in Edonia. Decent story, best ending, best end boss, most important campaign story-wise, least amount of QTEs, most amount of actual gameplay, only one obnoxious vehicle sequence (I liked the VTOL one), yada yada. The bioterrorism angle and BSAA response actually intrigued me this time, unlike RE5. Wouldn't want to see the series continue exclusively in this direction, though.

Jake: 5/10

Too many QTEs and crap vehicle segments, not enough actual gameplay. Many of the gameplay ideas weren't fun (stealth, hand-to-hand, running, etc.) Not enough fun gameplay (see Chris's campaign), but there were a few non-linear areas I enjoyed (blizzard, Chinese research facility main floor). Story was fun in a cheesy way. I greatly dislike Jake as a character, and it's really obvious that he was shoehorned in to appeal to the kiddies. Sherry was great, though; I'd love to see more of her. If Jake is the future of this series, I'm done.

Ada: 5/10

I thought I'd love this campaign for being solo, but it really seemed forced and rather dull most of the time. The first and fourth chapters were well done, but everything else was a drag. Since this campaign was solo, it should have been less linear, but no such luck. I also disliked this version of Ada, who seemed to deflect everything serious with a stupid one-liner. When the character you're playing as never acts concerned in the slightest, how are you supposed to feel tension?
          Last edited by Det. Beauregard; 10-26-2012, 08:02 PM.
          Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

It's obvious Jake will star again, so.. Bye.

Comment

I also disliked this version of Ada, who seemed to deflect everything serious with a stupid one-liner. When the character you're playing as never acts concerned in the slightest, how are you supposed to feel tension?
              Gee, don't that sound familiar.
              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

It's a valid complaint!

...I've been making it for long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                  It's a valid complaint!

...I've been making it for long enough.
                  Oh I know, I'm just saying it's a prevalent problem that has happened before and always for the same reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by MiLØ View Post
                    Normally I would disagree with 99% of what Vito posts, but he's right - RE4 did not play like a RE game... by far.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	1345508563386.gif
Views:	1
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	401852
                    PSN Gamercards

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                      Gee, don't that sound familiar.
                      Leon in 4?

He wasn't nearly as bad as Ada in 6. He never talked to himself during gameplay, spouting tension-breaking lines (that was reserved for cutscenes). It's almost as if Capcom thinks the player will get bored unless someone is talking 24/7. Ada talks to herself (which is moronic in such circumstances), and in the other campaigns you have partners for some great immersion-breaking dialogue. Hell, I noticed in 6 that there are actually long sections of the map that are set up specifically for AI partner conversation (right after the Chris vs. Leon scene and before the first Simmons fight in Leon's fourth chapter). Terrible game design.

Comment

Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
                        Ada talks to herself (which is moronic in such circumstances)
                        You would have prefered her to say 4 sentences in her whole campaign? ...
                        Last edited by Rick Hunter; 10-27-2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
                          There's commenting on the situation you're in, and there's talking to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
                            Did the characters talk to themselves in the original RE games? Nope. Did Leon talk to himself in RE4? Nope.

It's almost as if Capcom thinks the player will get bored unless someone is talking 24/7.

Comment

Leon in 4?

He wasn't nearly as bad as Ada in 6. He never talked to himself during gameplay, spouting tension-breaking lines (that was reserved for cutscenes). It's almost as if Capcom thinks the player will get bored unless someone is talking 24/7. Ada talks to herself (which is moronic in such circumstances), and in the other campaigns you have partners for some great immersion-breaking dialogue. Hell, I noticed in 6 that there are actually long sections of the map that are set up specifically for AI partner conversation (right after the Chris vs. Leon scene and before the first Simmons fight in Leon's fourth chapter). Terrible game design.
                              Leon is a complete and utter dickhead in 4 who spent more time chewing scenery than anything else. It would have been a lot more immersible if he had actually taken the things you're meant to be afraid of seriously. But instead, he spouts shitty one-liners and pretends to be confident, instead looking like a swaggering shitbucket.

Ada in 6 is just an evolution of him. Another case of the translators and voice directors thinking overly-confident bastards are prime material for a supposed horror game.

Comment

Over confident characters are great...for the start of a horror game. Watch them get in over there depth, start to flounder and panic and you communicate the same sense of panic to the player - if the arsehole was cocky when fighting A Giant Mutant Cave Troll. then the fact he is now loosing his shit is a problem.

Assuming you get it right, of course. If the Loosing Your Shit scene happens because a zombie hamster is after you, then you're just messed up. The most recent nastiness has to be a genuine threat.

Capcom don't seem to be very capable of putting character development into the game, except for random and quite terrible romantic subplots.

Comment

Working...
                                X