Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZombiU dev: We were inspired by RE games and Survival Horror is not for everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZombiU dev: We were inspired by RE games and Survival Horror is not for everyone

I don't think that its any secret that Ubisoft's new ZombiU game was influenced by Resident Evil games, but in a recent interview they admitted that aside from Dark Souls, "Other games that helped us in designing ZombiU? Definitely the old Resident Evil series."

Now what I found really interesting about the whole interview is when they started talking about Survival-Horror. This came up as an issue after Ubisoft mentioned the initial reactions and reviews of the game:

We were really disappointed with the early US reviews. We are aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the experience we created but we did not expect so harsh a feedback.

However as more and more journalists and gamers played the game, these opinions proved to be a minority. So right now we’re rather pleased with the overall reception of the game.
    So they were asked if the game being a Survival-Horror experience (with its limited ammo, health items and perma-deaths), could've been what actually fueled most of those initial negative reactions. Considering that core gamers of today are mostly used to playing action FPS games (on consoles at last). And maybe they were expecting to be able to shoot at anything that moves without any of those pesky Survival-Horror restrictions. And because they felt that they were sold the game as a Zombie shooter (as some of the trailers implied) and then they realized that it really wasn't one at all. The dev replied:

I don’t know. We never hid ourselves. I remember our very first internal pitch was entitled “How long will you survive”. Ever since we stayed true to that statement and I think it’s quite present in the game. So I don’t think we took anyone by surprise. Just that some players are not into survival, and that’s totally fine.

Being very punitive is our key, to set the mind of the player in the survival mode. Since you have a lot to lose you are really, really careful; as you would be in a real-life zombie apocalypse.

We understand we’re playing with a player's frustration, and we’re aware that we don’t reward that much (or at least not as other games do). But that’s what we wanted. That’s what survival horror games used to do. We think it’s core to the genre.
    Ok... That last part got me and reminded me of how easy we're rewarded in the modern RE games. With ammo, health items or even gold. You have no trouble having any of that. And if you ever get hurt in the games, is because you didn't shoot fast enough or with more accuracy while you were RUNNING.

Yep. These days, the challenge in the gameplay is being able to speed-through the stages and picking up items that will help you kill (not really survive) anything that moves. And I know that News Bot got pissed at this comparison, but the new games feel like I'm playing a beat'em-up game. But instead of using punches, I'm using weapons... well in RE6 playing as Jake you can pretty much punch away from start to finish.

Anyway, found it interesting that in the media and even among devs they're actively talking about the possibility that the Survival-Horror style/genre can actually have pitfalls. Not being too popular among the modern core gamer (on consoles mostly).

I also think its interesting because many RE fans want Capcom to remake RE2. And considering what Capcom has done to the series and what they think about Survival Horror (not profitable on home consoles)... I wonder if the company will do more than just remake the visuals of RE2... and maybe they will also remake the gameplay so that its easier and more action-y. To fit the game to moderns tastes and wants.

Yeah... that got me thinking about that. And maybe I don't want that remake anymore.

EDIT: Forgot to add the source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/developer_interview_zombiu_producer_talks_about_be ginnings_reactions_and_survival_horror
    Last edited by Pikminister; 12-14-2012, 12:13 PM.
    Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
    sigpic

So tempted to buy a WiiU for this one game. God damn.

Comment

unfortunately, its a brand new game for a brand new innovative hardware. it can not be that perfect.

Comment

CAPCOM need to stay right the fuck away from BH2 and anyone who keeps going on about how they want a remake is either naive or quite a bit delusional.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
          CAPCOM need to stay right the fuck away from BH2 and anyone who keeps going on about how they want a remake is either naive or quite a bit delusional.
          CAPCOM needs to stay the fuck away from BH period.
          "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
          Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Can't agree more with those guys. To hell with Capcom's Dramatic Horror, Action Horror and Whatever Horror.

Comment

I think it's more accurate to say that most fans would love to see RE2 remade in the same way REmake was done. I, personally, would probably combust with joy at that.

But with the current Capcom mindset, we'd instead get a four player team based shooter or some such shit that the Call Of Warfare players would like. Sherry packing a gattling gun would be hilarious, though.

And wiiU is one of the two games I actually want (the other one is technically one my wife wants) so when it finally reaches 5, i might even by one.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                I think it's more accurate to say that most fans would love to see RE2 remade in the same way REmake was done. I, personally, would probably combust with joy at that.

But with the current Capcom mindset, we'd instead get a four player team based shooter or some such shit that the Call Of Warfare players would like. Sherry packing a gattling gun would be hilarious, though.

And wiiU is one of the two games I actually want (the other one is technically one my wife wants) so when it finally reaches 5, i might even by one.
                Yeah, its not so much what RE fans want RE2 to be (however, reading some of their request they seem to want RE2 to play exactly like RE6 - with the multiple plotlines), but its more about what Capcom "thinks" gamers want and what their shareholders will demand in order to get more out of it.

Besides, Kamiya and Mikami are no longer at Capcom... and Kawata has no faith in survival-horror making it big on consoles.

I hope they don't do it... not until they prove they still can make a decent S-H game.
                sigpic

Comment

If Revelations did not come out my view on a RE2 remake would be completely negative. But because of Revelations goal to actually be Survival Horror and for the most part succeeding it gives me more faith.

If the goal of the game is Survival Horror, you will get survival horror. Resident Evil 6's control scheme would be great for a RE2 remake but only if the high flying moves and main mechanics are toned down to a more human level, make Leon a rookie cop not the experienced agent he was in RE4 and RE6.

As for the old slow Zombies being a non threat with such improved controls, I think a combination of Crimeson Heads and unpredictable Zombie behavior would quickly sort out that issue. Sudden Zombie bursts, some acting slow until certain surprising bursts of life to attack the player.

Comment

Originally posted by shanemurphy View Post
                    If the goal of the game is Survival Horror, you will get survival horror.
                    No, we won't!

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                      Yeah, its not so much what RE fans want RE2 to be (however, reading some of their request they seem to want RE2 to play exactly like RE6 - with the multiple plotlines),
                      Isn't that the point of a remake, to create an up to date version of something...
                      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                        Isn't that the point of a remake, to create an up to date version of something...
                        Very true, but even better when the remake improves the experience like REmake did. More puzzles, new enemies, new rooms, more backstory.

Resident Evil 2 with that same love and attention is just mouth watering when you think about it.

Comment

And yet the RE1 remake plays a lot like the original and kept things pretty much the same. But turning it up to 11 by making things more real-like and scary.

What the ppl I mentioned before want, is to have Capcom adapt RE2 for the CoD generation. Doing away with the survival horror elements and have RE2 become a co-op game that allows them to shoot shit up.

I'm not interested in that. But if that's what most gamers want, that's what Capcom will give them.
                          Last edited by Pikminister; 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                            And yet the RE1 remake plays a lot like the original and kept things pretty much the same. But turning it up to 11 by making things more real-like and scary.

What the ppl I mentioned before want, is to have Capcom adapt RE2 for the CoD generation. Doing away with the survival horror elements and have RE2 become a co-op game that allows them to shoot shit up.

I'm not interested in that. But if that's what most gamers want, that's what Capcom will give them.
                            Well REmake did update the game but it was for the time, which was still the style of the older games. It wasn't long after the original either. It just upped the visuals and added in some newer game mechanics from other games and new areas/story elements.

If Capcom remade RE2 the best going to get it another Revelations type game, the old camera isn't going to come back and Revelations had loads of action and co-op, even if if was just an AI. Missed opportunity for optional co-op imo.
                            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Well REmake did update the game but it was for the time, which was still the style of the older games. It wasn't long after the original either. It just upped the visuals and added in some newer game mechanics from other games and new areas/story elements.

If Capcom remade RE2 the best going to get it another Revelations type game, the old camera isn't going to come back and Revelations had loads of action and co-op, even if if was just an AI. Missed opportunity for optional co-op imo.
                              I rather have them make a sequel to Revelations with real Co-Op this time. Making it optional. Forget about the RE2 remake. Just make that.

If they go back to remaking RE2, it should be faithful to that game. As Rebirth was. But I don't think they would make all that effort without trying to 'modernize' it too much for current gamers.

No More Hope.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X