No announcement yet.

Capcom Survey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure Outbreak ports/HD remakes are financially viable. Unless can get the game to run with P2P hosting then dedicated servers will probaby push the cost to maintain it way too high, unless they do a repeat of the originals and shut them down after a couple years which I doubt Capcom will want to do. To the best of my knowledge the only PSN/XBLA game that uses dedicated servers is BF1943, and I remember a dev comment that said the company will probably take a loss on it but that it was great promotion for the BF series main games, and it was. BF1943 broke digital sales records too, not sure outbreak ports could do that.
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

BF1943 "needed" dedicated servers.

Outbreak can easily be player side hosted. Nothing that requires dedicated hosting for it in this day and age. Only reason it relied on servers on the PS2 was because of the technical limitations of the PS2 itself (and, well, somewhat 'cause of how the game handles rooms too), the lacking online structure of the PS2 was a bottle neck regardless, and the fact that the PS2 itself couldn't, in the case of Outbreak, have handled both hosting of the game and playing at the same time (although they could've surely made a dedicated server solution back then too + the game does keep track of a lot of geometry and "action" going on outside the your current room and what not).

Fun fact for newcomers;
      Before Outbreak launched, Capcom was demoing it at various events ... in 4 player setups ... with 4x PS2s hooked up to a hub hooked up to a laptop running the server software. Outbreak File 2 was also demoed like this in Europe pre-launch. Getting that server software would've been ... sweet (Remember me and Scream talked a lot about it - think we talked more of it than we ever "looked" or "hunted" though XD)

The curious thing about it all, of course, would be if it'd be easiest to port Outbreak itself to new hardware, or to just partially merge it with MT Framework - like they did with Code: Veronica HD.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleff View Post
        You didn't get what I was trying to say. Link the message to the video, and try again

Biohazard Gun Survivor fans, they do exist and they're more violent than Outbreak fans
        EDIT: Also, misspelled my message. Yay?
        Lol, that is exactly what I put, except for the part about gun survivor.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
          Fun fact for newcomers;
          Before Outbreak launched, Capcom was demoing it at various events ... in 4 player setups ... with 4x PS2s hooked up to a hub hooked up to a laptop running the server software. Outbreak File 2 was also demoed like this in Europe pre-launch. Getting that server software would've been ... sweet (Remember me and Scream talked a lot about it - think we talked more of it than we ever "looked" or "hunted" though XD)
          I didn't know that for sure. If you could let me know if you have any proof or leads on this, it would be great. I might add an entry about it if I ever bring back my outrbeakfanclub.com site. (I still own the url, just not hosting it for now).

Originally posted by [STARS]TyranT View Post
          To be honest, upscaled through an emulator Outbreak still looks pretty great. It would benefit from like you say widescreen support. The loading times weren't too bad if you installed the game, however.
          It looks terrific to me. I don't recall what my settings were, but something along at least 4X AA filter or something. I used to set it at 16 but maybe it changes not much past some threshold.
          Last edited by The_15th; 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Ask Scream about it, I think he attended some of the events in the UK. Iirc, it was the Sony Entertainment Tour (or whatever they called it) that did the "tour" in coordination with Nordic film when they demoed Outbreak File #2 in Scandinavia.

Comment

They have dead rising as experience
              A setup in raccoon city, with DR mechanics and RE plot in background would give us the perfect re outbreak ever.

Comment

I've never actually played the Outbreak games, I've heard they're quite good from various people. I'll get round to them one day, perhaps if Capcom ever do HD remixes of them.

Comment

It's quite interesting to see so many people praise the Outbreak games these days (it makes me happy, though); 'cause the general forum chatter back when they came out was mostly people ranting about how shitty they were, how stupid it was that they were online, how they sucked big time for not being the same as people thought they'd be after the "Resident Evil Online" announcement, how it was fucking up the franchise, milking the franchise, sinking the franchise, etc..

Comment

how it was fucking up the franchise, milking the franchise, sinking the franchise, etc..
                    Oh the sweet, sweet irony.

Comment

Cheers for the explintion Carn, i musta missed the news post. 2005-06 I wasnt around as much.

I still didn't think the outbreak games were that great, not then, or even now. They're too plodding and the I didn't think the scenarios were that fun to replay. The games I played with others in chat online like mentioned were more fun. without communication people acted like cocks too. Didn't help that the PAL version of the first was gimped and had no online either. But yeah when you compare the style of the game to the one now, if you lean towards a old school purist idea then you'd want that game back in a flash.

Comment

I only ever played them offline but I absolutely loved them. I played the original to absolutely death despite not multiplayer. File 2 wasn't quite so struck on, thought some silly decisions were made in the design of that game, but I loved the extension of the universe, and thought they did really well.
                        http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                        http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                        Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

I never had the chance to play the outbreak games online, the first one didn't have online in Europe and for the second one, I didn't have the adapter and a decent internet connection, this games will go very well on VITA, they don't need to do much work in the graphics department, but releasing the on VITA probably is a financial suicide.

Comment

Sadly they've put REmake and the original version in the same option so they're free to just keep porting the original forever and ever <_<
                            I have high hopes for Outbreak HD though, do it Capcom (and add a few more stages while you're at it, thank you).
                            Kinda sad that Dino Crisis only has port options and no additional feedback can be given, bring the franchise back already (and forget 3 ever existed).

Comment

It's quite interesting to see so many people praise the Outbreak games these days (it makes me happy, though); 'cause the general forum chatter back when they came out was mostly people ranting about how shitty they were, how stupid it was that they were online, how they sucked big time for not being the same as people thought they'd be after the "Resident Evil Online" announcement, how it was fucking up the franchise, milking the franchise, sinking the franchise, etc..
                              Yeah people were smarter back then.

Tease.

I thought the games were total shit then and I still do. I even went to the effort of importing a US console and game just to play the original online, to really try and give it a chance.
                              Last edited by Dracarys; 12-24-2012, 01:05 AM.
                              Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by The_15th View Post
                                I didn't know that for sure. If you could let me know if you have any proof or leads on this, it would be great. I might add an entry about it if I ever bring back my outrbeakfanclub.com site. (I still own the url, just not hosting it for now).
                                Ask Scream about it, I think he attended some of the events in the UK. Iirc, it was the Sony Entertainment Tour (or whatever they called it) that did the "tour" in coordination with Nordic film when they demoed Outbreak File #2 in Scandinavia.
                                Yeah the one I went to was Playstation Experience in London, I remember it because Lisa Snowdon was there and she was really hot in person.

They had an early version of the first Outbreak in that setup like Carnivol said (4 PS2s connected to server) - it was a mixed English/Japanese demo, it's the version that when you turn on it comes up with "NET BIO" (black screen/white text) followed by a date/version (which I can't seem to remember). I saw this because they reset the whole system for some reason just before I played it.

I think that version has been leaked or is for sale by some guy (can't remember where I saw that though).. I don't think it includes the server software though sadly!

Comment

Working...
                                X