Sally Cahill as Ada in Retribution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sally Cahill as Ada in Retribution?

So, I bought the movie despite my lack of real interest and I immediately noticed that Sally Cahill's voice was coming out of Li Bing Bing's mouth. Was this ever publicized? Because that sounds like a missed opportunity, or maybe I just didn't pay attention enough. It's also curious that she'd return for Anderson but was recast in 6 and Damnation, obviously she still has interest in the character.

Was this ever mentioned? Or am I just going crazy?
    Last edited by Kei_M; 01-06-2013, 01:52 AM.

She is voicing her.

Comment

Really? Anderson never cared about a character looking, sounding or acting like the game version before. I'm really surprised he went to the expense of dubbing a voice actor over the character. Does the actress have a strong accent or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
        Really? Anderson never cared about a character looking, sounding or acting like the game version before. I'm really surprised he went to the expense of dubbing a voice actor over the character. Does the actress have a strong accent or something?
        She does. Look up one of Li Bingbing's interviews on Youtube. Also, is it just me or does Sally Cahill sound a bit off in the movie? She didn't sound much like Ada in the trailer clip up on Youtube (the one where she fights Alice), or maybe it's just in that one scene.
        Seibu teh geimu?
        ---

Comment

She doesn't sound like Ada in Darkside Chronicles either. That is probably why CAPCOM recast for BH6.
          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

There were some points where I thought she sounded like the Ada from thegames but I don't think she had enough lines to make a decent comparison.

Comment

Haha I no idea about this, and while it's quite cool Cahill reprises her role for what will no doubt now be the last time, it's a really bad dubbing job, it doesn't look right at all.

Also, did anyone ever notice how Ada's voice actress hilariously changes during her 'death' in Darkside?

I really hate Darkside Chronicles.
              Last edited by [STARS]TyranT; 01-06-2013, 09:56 AM.
              http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
              http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
              Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Probably because she's getting older. Just being frank.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                  She doesn't sound like Ada in Darkside Chronicles either. That is probably why CAPCOM recast for BH6.
                  I doubt this is the reason. They recast her once, If they had a problem with her performance in DSC they could have handed it back to Megan. I mean, they recast Lisa Jai due to the changes in her voice. I think the differences in their voices come down to the simple fact that they were closer to their characters ages and didn't have to do much to their natural voices back then, when DSC came along they had to put in a little more effort with de-aging their voices. It's much more noticeable with Claire.
                  Last edited by Kei_M; 01-06-2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kei_M View Post
                    I doubt this is the reason. They recast her once, If they had a problem with her performance in DSC they could have handed it back to Megan. I mean, they recast Lisa Jai due to the changes in her voice. I think the differences in their voices come down to the simple fact that they were closer to their characters ages and didn't have to do much to their natural voices back then, when DSC came along they had to put in a little more effort with de-aging their voices. It's much more noticeable with Claire.
                    They never really recast her, most of the voice actors were changed in UC due to the voice recording moving from Canada to LA (or some such). In DC they went the extra mile to get as many recognized VA's back. It's very easy to hear Cahill strain to sound like Ada at some points and fail altogether at others, and yes, it is most likely due to age.

Comment

I should have been clearer. I mean, they went through the effort to get some of the recognized actors back (really just Court and Cahill), but they also approached Jai to come back for Sherry too. They didn't end up using her because she didn't sound like the character any more. If they felt that way about Cahill too, they could have done the same. So I don't think the recast was due to having issues with her performance. I'm assuming that it was more convenient for them to recast in 6 due to the location change though, especially with all the work the voice actors needed to do with facial capture and stuff.

Comment

Sally's last game was indeed DSC.
                        I couldn't notice it really, but now if you really listen - its shocking but a good mimic.

In Operation Raccoon City, Damnation and RE6, Sally no longer provides Ada's voice - it's actually Courtenay Taylor.
                        Although TBH I could hardly tell the difference, she did a great job.
                        There are moments you can tell she is slightly different but gotta give her credit. I mean, Jill has been recast like 5 times now LOL

I would kill Capcom if they ever got rid of Alyson Court though, they'd never be able to replace her surely?
                        "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kei_M View Post
                          I should have been clearer. I mean, they went through the effort to get some of the recognized actors back (really just Court and Cahill), but they also approached Jai to come back for Sherry too. They didn't end up using her because she didn't sound like the character any more. If they felt that way about Cahill too, they could have done the same. So I don't think the recast was due to having issues with her performance. I'm assuming that it was more convenient for them to recast in 6 due to the location change though, especially with all the work the voice actors needed to do with facial capture and stuff.
                          Cahill really only goes off the rails on some parts of DC. They probably found her performance acceptable but then realized she was simply too far off the mark in retrospect, or they actually auditioned her for BH6 and her voice had gotten even further from Ada in the years between DC and BH6.

Just speculation, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
                            they'd never be able to replace her surely?

Nope. Alyson Court is irreplaceable as Claire.

IMO anyway...

Comment

Alyson Court must be Claire Redfield for me, no one else could replace her.

We have had different voice actors/actresses for characters in the series before but Alyson Court just became Claire right from the start for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X