anti-umbrella movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti-umbrella movement

Was the anti-umbrella movement ever real?? If so then was stars part of it during their time investigating umbrella in europe?? Just wondering coz the next game could be about this going back to the days of umbrella and ending loose ends such as what happened to Barry and Rebecca etc

Yes but RETCON.
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Yes, it was, but I think the only game to show the Anti-Umbrella Pursuit and Investigation Team in action was Dead Aim and even them was just Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
        Yes but RETCON.
        Hah, no.

There never was an "anti-Umbrella movement", it was completely made-up by the S.D. Perry novels.

Chris, Jill and Barry planned to investigate Umbrella HQ, but their plans were interrupted. Jill got caught up in Raccoon City while she investigated the underground laboratory, Barry was moving his family to Canada and went to save Jill, while Chris actually went to Europe to investigate but was interrupted by his sister getting captured. In 1999, Chris and Jill joined a private anti-biohazard service while the Raccoon Trial started, and continued their anti-Umbrella activities through there.

The U.S. government established the Anti-Umbrella Pursuit and Investigation Team, and recruited Leon S. Kennedy into it.

There was also anti-Umbrella activist and protest groups that basically just complained.
        Last edited by News Bot; 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Not if you followed it as games released.

Comment

Not if you followed it as games released.
            If you followed it as they were released, you end up with what I just wrote. The Umbrella HQ investigation was mentioned first, then we learn that Jill stayed behind to investigate the underground laboratory and Barry moved his family to Canada and came back to rescue Jill. That's the game immediately after BH2. Then in CV, the game immediately after BH3, we learn that Chris abandoned his investigation to rescue his sister. Then in UC, we learn that he and Jill joined a private anti-biohazard service while the Raccoon Trial progressed.

That's pretty simple progression. But don't let that get in the way.

Comment

Yes that is the retconned version you would get, well done.

Comment

Honestly I don't remember any anti-Umbrella stuff in the series, not unless you count Gaiden. I know after BIO2, Leon joined a branch of the government that focused on Umbrella, but I don't remember it being anti-Umbrella. I always new the SD Perry stuff was made up, but I still enjoyed her books.
                My Head-Fi Page

Comment

I don't remember anything like this

Comment

I think there was some epilogue stuff that mentioned it? I'm not sure, honestly.

Comment

The only thing I remember from the epilogues is Jill finding Chris' knife and his one saying he's in Europe (I think) and Leon being recruited by the government. All BH3, unless you mean another epilogue collection.
                      sigpic

"Beware the friends bearing false gifts and speaking with fork tongues. Poor Four-Eyes!" - Rev, New Dominion Tank Police

Comment

Yes that is the retconned version you would get, well done.
                        So what was retconned?

There never was an "anti-Umbrella movement", it exists only in the S.D. Perry novels. The only mentions of what S.T.A.R.S. were doing are in BH2 and BH3:

Originally posted by Chris' Diary
                        August 24
                        With the help of Jill and Barry, I finally obtained information.
                        Umbrella has embarked on a plan to research a new G-Virus, an alternative to the t-Virus.
                        What on earth is the G-Virus?

Anyway, the three of us talked it over and have decided to fly to Europe, home to the headquarters of Umbrella, in order to investigate it in absolute secrecy.
                        I didn't contact my younger sister.
                        I don't want to compromise her.
                        Originally posted by Jill's Diary
                        August 24
                        Chris left town today to depart for Europe. Barry sent his family to Canada and said he would follow afterwards. I'll stay in Raccoon City. That's because I know the research institute still in this town is an important facility.
                        Although I'll be about one month behind Chris, I'll meet with them somewhere in Europe.
                        At that point, my true fight begins.
                        Originally posted by Epilogue Files
                        JILL VALENTINE
                        Jill Valentine left after the incident.
                        In order to join with Chris Redfield.
                        However...... Jill arrived and the hideout was empty.
                        A dull color reflected sluggishly off Chris' knife, like a signpost on the floor.
                        Jill left the empty place without hesitation.
                        She believes it.
                        He's alive and they will meet again, she vowed as such with her sworn ally.

CHRIS REDFIELD
                        "Claire, I'm sorry"
                        Chris Redfield finishes his umpteenth letter with his usual words.
                        When he removes his sunglasses and squints at the warm sunlight of the café, a woman passes him lightly.
                        ......She looks the same age as his younger sister.
                        Afterwards, Chris followed her whereabouts and learnt the cost of his younger sister joining the fight.

BARRY BURTON
                        Barry Burton slowly stooped down before his young daughters.
                        "I'm sorry, my comrades are waiting."
                        He had betrayed them for his family.
                        He had to join his comrades, and hardened his will to repay their trust even if it meant being separated from his family.
                        "Honey, we'll be alright."
                        His beautiful wife stands on her tiptoes and kisses him one last time.
                        After Rockfort Island, where we knew absolutely nothing about what S.T.A.R.S. had been doing for quite a few years, it is explained in UC that Chris established a private anti-biohazard unit as part of a wider force and he and Jill continued their anti-Umbrella activities through there in order to topple it... which they do, something fans were expecting from the start.

On the flip-side, Leon was recruited into the Anti-Umbrella Pursuit and Investigation Team, a top-secret U.S. government agency. It was comprised of agents (like Leon and Bruce) and Special Forces teams, and continued to be used by the government even after Umbrella itself collapsed. Its focus just changed from Umbrella to counter-bioterrorism.

The organization in Gaiden is more or less an amalgamation of the previously mentioned two.
                        Last edited by News Bot; 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Quick update, Gaiden's organization is actually outright the U.S. government's Anti-Umbrella Pursuit and Investigation Team, although it was unnamed at the time. Considering the fact that Gaiden is set in an alternative universe however, it's not appropriate to call it by that name.

There never was an "Anti-Umbrella Movement" in the games. This was a term made by S.D. Perry in her novels, and regurgitated for many years on the RE Wikia which had a long-standing problem with mixing the novels with the games. As such, there's no retcon.

Comment

Working...
                          X