Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is the reason Co-op was taken out of Biohazard (original)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the reason Co-op was taken out of Biohazard (original)

Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2013, 12:32 AM.

Lol.

Surely system link could have yielded some possibilities, although I don't know if he hardware capabilities were available to devs at the time.

Comment

I am guessing the devs ran into too many problems;

1. Split screen?
      2. Both players leave the screen when one leaves?
      3. Invisible boundaries?
      4. Kills the horror mood?
      5. Friendly fire?
      6. Can zombies be "dislodged" with gun fire?

Etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Kamiya is being blunt as ever, I see.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rewak View Post
            This looks really interesting for me, I wonder how this guy do it?

Comment

Originally posted by drunkdog View Post
              Bullshit.

Even if the video posted in this thread was a fake, it's entirely possible. Quite specifically, it's just a matter of event scripting.

As seen at the heliport in retail, Jill/Chris will follow the main player, again, due to event scripting. With a few tweaks here 'n there, the support character will surely fire upon enemies.

The only problem comes when an actual 2nd player is involved - splitscreen would look horrendous for these games... and that's where the link cable would come into play. There's also the feeling of isolation/fear that would taken away from the player, but that too, could be solved with proper planning (both characters don't have to be in the same room, all the time).

Impossible? Absolutely not. Good business decision? Absolutely, yes. Lack of experience and rushed product? Probably.

I also dislike how these developers just dodge these kinds of questions with one-liners... pretty difficult to respect these clowns who shit all over their own product.
              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                Impossible? Absolutely not. Good business decision? Absolutely, yes. Lack of experience and rushed product? Probably.

I also dislike how these developers just dodge these kinds of questions with one-liners... pretty difficult to respect these clowns who shit all over their own product.
                Well, most of the BH1 team sans Mikami were people who had just joined the company and were working on their first game... so probably lack of experience, yeah. He could just mean they couldn't do it, not that it functionally couldn't be done (which, as we know, it could and they had it at one point). Actually programming it wasn't the problem. And how many PS1 owners had link cables, really?

There's also the matter that BH1's development was... troublesome, to say the least. In the end, the game is only about 50% of what was actually planned. Most of that due to time and budget limits.

Also Twitter has character limits and Kamiya gets assaulted with hundreds of messages a day. I think he earned the right to be blunt long ago.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                  There's also the matter that BH1's development was... troublesome, to say the least. In the end, the game is only about 50% of what was actually planned. Most of that due to time and budget limits.
                  This is what leads me to favour REmake over the original game on every front (well, except the Nintendo-exclusivity, but even a Sony fanboy like me can overlook that in this case). I never really desired co-op gameplay for this title; inviting a friend over and taking turns was fine (that being said, I love the idea of Outbreak).

Comment

And the other 50% potential is achieved in the remake, but they left out the co op idea even if it's possible with the gamecube hardware at the time, i think it's not development difficulty, it's creative decision not to add co-op because the fear factor atmosphere will be gone when a second player join in like we now see in the newer installments !

Comment

When he says "impossible" I think he means co-op just didn't fit in with how they wanted to make the game. I mean, while the co-op looks fun.... I could see it being more annoying than anything. It's not like you're in an open world when playing Resident Evil, adding in another real character would make it too easy.

Comment

The PSX link cable was already an established product well before RE1 was released. For example, Destruction Derby, released nearly 5 months prior to RE1, used the system link cable to allow 2 players to race at the same time and even do the full season mode together.

The system link cable was a perfectly viable option, for whatever reason, they chose not to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by doriantoki View Post
                          I am guessing the devs ran into too many problems;

1. Split screen?
                          2. Both players leave the screen when one leaves?
                          3. Invisible boundaries?
                          4. Kills the horror mood?
                          5. Friendly fire?
                          6. Can zombies be "dislodged" with gun fire?

Etc. etc. etc.
                          This is a better explanation than the one Kamiya gave.

Anyway, it was an excelent decision to not make RE co-op from the very first title.
                          Last edited by Lanzagranadas; 10-10-2013, 12:43 PM.
                          The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Thank god they didn't put co-op in the game. I can understand why some find it fun, but I hate the way it affects the single player experience. I don't even have a problem with them implementing it in certain RE titles, but forcing it on the main games was a terrible choice.
                            sigpic
                            "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

The split-screen is probably the main problem. I mean, imagine you fighting an enemy and having to stand someone else running around and having to load the backgrounds every 3 seconds...

Comment

Working...
                              X