Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording an in-depth No Damage commentary for RE3. Come take a look!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commentaries are getting better. I think you should explain things more in depth if you have time, for instance in the garage why you didn't jump down the hole but instead climbed up. I know why, but all you said was don't go down the hole not why. I know that seems nitpicky, but with speed runs or specialty runs like this there has to be tons of extreme little details that you do in the run for positioning or time saving and such that you could explain. You do a good job with explaining the Nemesis fights and some of the monster kills but not all. Also sometimes you repeat what is happening on the screen with your words a lot (like "here I get this file" and "here I killed these zombies"). If there is nothing special or technical about it then spend that time going in-depth about some special mechanic or glitch or trick you use. I know you gotta have a wealth of technical information on this game, please share it! I love commentaries but I love them more when they tell me about all the behind-the-scenes things that you can't get just from watching the video. Maybe some examples would be about how long it took you to figure something out, or alternate paths/strategies you tried that just didn't work.

Comment

I thought I said something about the sliding worms down the hole? Was a little sloppy though, 'cuz I was like "just don't".

Either way, I guess I could rehash some old strats from previous videos and talk more about how I figured some things out. It's tough to break out of speaking from the first person sometimes.

Repeatedly talking about killing zombies makes me hungry for Rachel Ray repeatedly using chicken stock.

Comment

Part 8 (two segments)

I have only a few more videos to record.

Comment

Part 9

Comment

That's 10. The last 3 will be on later. I'm going to go ahead and put 'em up this weekend.

Comment

I saw your latest videos and I'd like to comment on some things.

1. It is technically possible to outrun or evade the superman punch if you circle it. I've only seen one person successfully pull it off with some consistency (that's not to say that he doesn't get hit by it but he seems to have figured out how to get around it). If you can predict when Nemesis is going to throw the punch (or force him to do so) you can turn to the left or right (depending where you're running) in a straight line to avoid the superman punch. It might be also possible to escape its frames if Nemesis uses it too early. If you're interested in doing future videos defeating Nemesis (playthroughs or segmented) keep this in mind.

That's from LucianoRX's channel. You can also check his handgun playthrough for some further stuff.

2. I liked hearing your idea of exploring the different weapons against Nemesis. There's not much advise I can offer in that regard without knowing what you're planning on doing but I played with a similar concept in some videos I recorded some time ago. You can check them here:

It also contains some notes I made at the time regarding the fights themselves, such as the scenario, human error or Nemesis' gameplay design. I hope you find this helpful for whatever you have planned if you go forward with that idea.

3. The Assault Rifle is surprisingly a great weapon to use against Nemesis, but I'm not shocked to see it eludes so many people considering they are used to playing it on Auto Mode. Should you choose to try the Manual Mode instead you'll see that its animation has a lot of frames (more than the Knife and less than the Rocket Launcher, if I'm not mistaken) which is awesome if you want to give a more "cinematographic" feel to your videos (since pulling off dodges is more easy and looks a lot cooler). The burst rounds are nicely paced with Nemesis rhythm and the recovery time allows you to quickly draw the weapon again for a more precise emergency dodge.

4. The Mine Thrower is a killer if you attach the Infinite Ammo to it. Not only does it track down the enemy (I'm not sure if it also does normally, but I think not) but it will also pierce multiple enemies. The problem is that the damage is not significantly high - in fact, I've had Zombies and Hunters survive which suggest that if it does not explode on impact and goes across the room, the damage might actually be lower. Still, given that you pretty much don't need to worry about ammo, you can literally wipe out an entire room without moving an inch in few seconds.

5. You might still come across some Hunters. I'm guessing you're jumping off the bridge going by your words of the route you''ll probably choose (or chose) but you can still come across them in the disposal pool room after you get off the elevator. Either Hunters, Zombies, Drain Deimos or Brain Suckers.

BioHazard YouTube Channel
              BioHazard 2 Prototype Database Project

Comment

1. That seems ultra-hard with the positioning I used in the clock tower boss fight. I think that fight was ass, because I didn't explore any options outside of running longways and spacing to waste the rockets, but someone brought up to me that you could R1 dodge the superman punch. In your videos, it looks like it could be easy to do, if Jill steps forward when it happens... Dodge animations are surprisingly versatile, when there is enough space available. Might be easy with a gun with a lot of aiming frames... I'll look into that.

2. Actually, watching your videos inspired me to do another playthrough to explore the Enhanced Ammo. Those videos were the fucking shit, and I would love to explore those in further detail! I saw the ridiculous hitstun vs. Nemesis, and it makes the Magnum and Grenade Launcher look almost pointless in comparison. What I wanna do for Round 2 is NOT use the Magnum and Grenade Launcher, and save up gunpowder as much as possible, mixing regular ammo and Enhanced Ammo when needed. The idea is to show more hit and run type guns, with more emphasis on hit frames, recovery frames, and dodge moves. I'll use the infinite ammo case for the Mine Thrower. I will also take the Newspaper "jump out of the window" route, and fight Nemesis at the power station.

3. I saw that! The aim frames are really slow, but the burst-fire allows you to get off a quick shot right before Nemesis recovers from whatever attack.

5. Yeah, for this playthrough, I wanted to cover the safest path possible. Naturally, I jumped down. No monsters, whether they're hunters or sliding worms, appear in that waterway if you jump off, and both are difficult to set up for, especially since hunters jump around a whole bunch.

Really appreciate all your input on strategy, Kegluneq. I'm completely finished recording all the videos, and they'll all be online by Saturday, 'cuz I can't monetize the last one, and it doesn't make sense to do subscriber optimization for it... The No Commentary version is scheduled to go up the same day. Do you have Skype so we can talk more often? My username is carcinogen.sda
                Last edited by Carcinogen; 04-17-2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

This one is choppy because my local recording failed to save/reencode, so I had to download it from Twitch.
                  Last edited by Carcinogen; 04-17-2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Interesting series, keep it up!

Comment

1. Dodging the superman punch during the first half of the fight isn't particularly difficult if you do it facing Nemesis straight. In my videos (Extra Fight #1.2), I step forward but that's just to prevent Jill from being backed against the wall and screwing the dodge animation. Do not ever try it if you're running away because the last frames of the punch are likely to hit Jill and you'll be drawing the gun before as a reflex, resulting in the frames being wasted before the punch actually connects.

The problem with that move is during the second half of the fight (after you drop Nemesis) because it becomes insanely fast and re-wires the timing on dodging. a.) if Nemesis is running towards Jill, and you try to predict the exact moment when he is going to use the superman punch he can still cancel it and grab instead (which results in the drawing frames being wasted when you think he is going to punch); b) if you just dodged something (or if he is just too close) he can either superman punch, grab, jab or axe/powered punch - all which have different dodge timings (the superman punch being the faster, followed by the right jab, then the grab and then that axe/powered punch of his that takes a bit more than a second to come off). You practically need to guess what he is going to do and pray if pays off. It's a gamble.

That's why I think LucianoRX's videos might be useful if you want to get a way around his superman punch during the second half of the battle. I could never figure out a way around it and if you notice, in all my videos I only get hit by it after Nemesis drops on the ground simply because I can't never get around the proper timing (first I fire too soon [Fight #1], then I fire too late [Fight #4]) or just don't see it coming at all.

2. You'll probably still need to use the Grenade Launcher and/or Magnum for the second encounter. Also keep in mind you can only get the Enhanced Ammo before the Power Station if you find the Gunpowder A in the Gasoline Station. Otherwise, you need to wait for the Sales Office instead. You'll have lots of fun with that and the Western Shotgun (they both function the same way).

3. The aim frames are amazingly useful for creating stylish battles. The different stance also gives Jill a more militarist special force look, which is another boost. That thing is absolutely awesome in open spaces. It also allows to fire on Nemesis while he is on the ground without him getting back up instantly - I could have actually wrecked him in Extra Fight #1.1 before he discarded the Rocket Launcher but I wanted him to right jab me so I could pay him back for our first fight.

New 1. I forgot to mention this before but there's apparently some short of safe distance between Jill and Nemesis that prevents him from triggering the superman punch. One of the guys who does this is wunderbar in the cable car fight. The other is smallvillecs in his recent dodging tutorial. If you want to try and knife Nemesis, watch those videos and do a bit of trial and error to figure out the proper distance. Nemesis can still run towards you but he will not gain enough speed to throw off the punch.

New 2. Enemies don't infinitely respawn on the disposal pool, although I can understand why you got that idea. I'm not sure if it's sequential or situational, but the max number of respawns are 3. I think they happen after an event (such as solving the water puzzle, or the steam puzzle, or imprinting the bar code in the facility key) but don't quote me on that. It's possible that might respawn if you re-enter the room right after you leave it. Either way, I only ever fought the enemies (which are always the same) 3 times, never more.

New 3. You can defeat the final Nemesis using only 3 rockets. However, you will need to draw him towards the Rail Cannon, otherwise Nemesis will continue to try and attack Jill. If you use the other remaining rocket, Nemesis will go eat the T-103 and stand in the line of fire of the Rail Cannon. So you never anything more than the Rocket Launcher to kill it. But to be fair, you were right about the Rocket Launcher. That thing is so slow that you're likely to get hit at some point of the fight, especially by those annoying chemical fumes Nemesis releases after you break its capsules.

No problem. Glad I can put my knowledge to good use and help you out. Resident Evil 3 is a game with a lot of content and depth - it can be overwhelming if you're not constantly playing it. I remember laughing a bit at TheLevelBest attempts at Nicholai's A Rank on Mercenaries (watching it on Past Broadcasts) and seeing him frustratingly dodge dashing zombies to throw them on the ground. When I got him streaming online, I told him to just knife the zombie as soon as he had finished dodging and that would drop down the zombie. He was surprised to learn that worked.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that if it helps out to produce better gameplay, gather more interest and get people to see more awesome stuff, I'm happy to share whatever I can. I don't use Skype (or was it Hotmail?) anymore unless I find it really necessary. But I do have an e-mail: kegluneq.ne@hotmail.com. Dunno what my username actually is but I'll add you. Just let me know what's your UTC (or whenever you have some free time) is so I can find you online. I haven't been to Twitch in a long time.
                      Last edited by Kegluneq; 04-21-2014, 08:33 AM.

BioHazard YouTube Channel
                      BioHazard 2 Prototype Database Project

Comment

Comment

And that's 13. That's the end!

Comment

There was an "all kills & items" YT walkthrough that got deleted a while ago, aside from the quality which was crap & the use of infinite ammo toward the end( infinite ammunitions box,last item dropped by nemesis, I don"t remember which version he played on yet it was definatly not a cheat). So far the best I've seen, the played was named Alex something but even his account was deleted I believe. Speedruns are favored instead of these kind of challenges but I think you should play with such handicap

Btw is it possible to kill final boss nemesis without the laser ? you know only with weaponry plus ammo on hand. anyone tried ?

Comment

Actually, I plan to do Knife All Enemies/No Damage later.

It's not possible to kill Nemesis without the rail cannon. You can deplete his HP to 0, but there is no script that is programmed when that happens. The killing blow must be delivered by the rail cannon.

Comment

Working...
                              X