No announcement yet.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gemini you should consider having 4 difficulties. Rookie, Veteran, Professional, and Survivor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Renard View Post
      Survivor had files?
      Originally posted by ajrich17901 View Post
      I don't even remember Survivor having files.. did it? lol
      Poorly translated ones, yes.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by Ultimacloud123 View Post
        Gemini you should consider having 4 difficulties. Rookie, Veteran, Professional, and Survivor.
        How about this? Rookie/Novice(Easy Difficulty), Experienced/Adept(Normal Difficulty), Veteran/Expert(Hard Difficulty), Survivalist/Elite(Nightmare Difficulty)

Oh and is that my Ark Thompson model?
        Last edited by -Rusty-; 05-27-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• @Rusty - I obviously can't speak for Gemini, but I'm pretty certain the model he is using was directly converted from Survivor's HMD format.
          I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• I was going to say it looks just like Survivors Ark model. I doubt he'd use someone else's model without permission.
            My Head-Fi Page

Comment

• I hate to repeat myself but: MY BODY IS READY.

This is coming along nicely. I'm genuinely excited about this project.
              Hail the heros of the revolution!

Comment

• As per what I said on twitter just yesterday, here's a little demo with Ark-ley man:

Footstep sounds are there as well as some new code to switch sound tracks with no reverb messing around.

Originally posted by geluda View Post
                Is there anything in the story or files that dictate which enemies are used? Perhaps the strain of virus involved determines an enemies behavioural paterns? I guess it would just be a matter of continuity and respect to the original to use the enemies from their respective games.
                I'm just keeping it kind of consistent with the original in some regards. RE2 zombies were used over other types because they are my favorite and provide the right behavior for what I'm planning on gameplay. Other enemies such as Drain Deimos and Brain Sucker aren't there because they are random mutations. Chimera won't be there either because they were too stupid to be mass produced.

Originally posted by -Rusty- View Post
                Well this looks very interesting.
                Coming from a great texture artist such as you it's quite the honor.

Originally posted by Northman View Post
                Will this also include the detailed damage modeling, like being able to decapitate and dismember the zombies, and blow them in half with the shotgun?

Also, will there be infinite ammo bonus unlockable for us to play with?
                1) Yup.
                2) Sort of. There are a few extras planned, but they are extremely hard to guess because I'm being nonsensical about those.

Originally posted by Ultimacloud123 View Post
                Gemini you should consider having 4 difficulties. Rookie, Veteran, Professional, and Survivor.
                I already have 4 difficulty modes planned, but couldn't come up with a proper name for the hardest one so far. I guess "Survivor" works quite well in this particular case.

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                @Rusty - I obviously can't speak for Gemini, but I'm pretty certain the model he is using was directly converted from Survivor's HMD format.
                It's a modified version of the GS original, yup. I replaced parts of the uv map and his pants are completely new.

Originally posted by Aleff View Post
                I hate to repeat myself but: MY BODY IS READY.
                Last edited by Gemini; 05-28-2014, 10:52 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Whats really confusing - is this a completely new, from scratch made engine by yourselves...
                  or is it a modification of an existing one - say 1.5 or a Beta build. That debug menu looks familiar is all..

Ark fits into RE1 quite nicely hehe ... awesome to see Survivor in classic mode so to speak.
                  "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
                    Whats really confusing - is this a completely new, from scratch made engine by yourselves...
                    or is it a modification of an existing one - say 1.5 or a Beta build. That debug menu looks familiar is all..

Ark fits into RE1 quite nicely hehe ... awesome to see Survivor in classic mode so to speak.
                    Gemini's already stated that it's an all-new, custom, "made from scratch" engine. He simply imported assets from Bio1 into the engine, in-order to conduct various tests and show-off the engine's current abilities.

The debug menu is very basic, nothing special about it other than it mimics the aesthetic of another. I've seen multiples just like it, in many non-Bio games.

As most modifications are concerned, it's quite difficult to polish a turd (especially when 1.5 involved). It's just much easier to create an entire engine, like this. But again, Gemini has already addressed this issue:

Originally posted by Gemini
                    Why recode the engine from scratch when you can mod Resident Evil 1-2-3 Sourcenext Pregunta Turbo Edition?
                    Because it'd be awkward, limiting, and simply doesn't cut it for us. Create an engine and you're the master of your own code, just to state out the best pro I can think of right now. Plus it can all be expanded easily to include features from later engines, which the original almost lacked along with any form of QA check.
                    I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• I'd be curious to know how far you could push an engine like the Residentt Evil on a PS1 hardware considering that Capcom just repeatedly modified the RE1 engine a few times for RE2 & 3 and the first was built at a time when everyone was still using Sony's libraries and not their own stuff.

At the very least image compression and / or streaming could be used to reduce loading times between rooms.
                      Last edited by Jimmy_Jazz; 05-28-2014, 01:41 PM.
                      "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

• Streaming isn't suitable for games using pre-rendered backgrounds (it's indicated in fully 3D games with long corridors masking the background operations), but compression is definitively the right approach. I currently have a lot of that for most formats that can take advantage of it. Surprisingly my lossless backgrounds are smaller than their PNG counterparts thanks to the fact that they are stored as 15 bit strips (PNG is really 24 bit, so you can guess the trick). That means a background chunk of 150 KB gets compressed to about 25-50 KB, making loading time barely noticeable.

As for Sony's formats, I use almost none of those; a great majority of the formats in BTM are custom implementations. Heck, I may even drop STR (BS frames+XA audio) and replace them with BS+spu streams, just to push audio quality at higher levels (37800 Hz vs 44100 Hz).
                        Last edited by Gemini; 05-28-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Since you aren't using Sony's libraries, then the engine may even perform better than what any of the RE's were capable of. One question though, is the engine very low profile memory wise? I figure if it doesn't consume much memory then you have more to play with.
                          Last edited by Zombie_X; 05-28-2014, 11:31 PM.
                          My Head-Fi Page

Comment

• I didn't say I'm not using Sony's libraries, because I am, but I'm not using most of their formats, especially bloated ones such as TMD or HMD.

Memory usage is extremely low and I reuse buffers a lot when I can make them generic enough. For example, video playback doesn't use one extra byte of memory and recycles background buffers all the way, with about 40 KB of ram free to be used with other data (subtitles will be stored there, more than likely).

Comment

• Anyone know the game of the capcom logo played at 18-23 seconds and the one played at very end?

Last edited by Mikhail; 05-29-2014, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikhail View Post
                                Anyone know the game of the capcom logo played at 18-23 seconds and the one played at very end?

And while you are waiting for a response, could you please tell me what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X