No announcement yet.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess we'll see as soon as I'm done writing the scenario scheduler.

Meanwhile I took a look around for a few cool extras and dug around the Saturn data, only to find this:

Yes, this is the legendary special outfit for Chris Redfield, the one many people incorrectly associate with Grant Britman. And if you're wondering: yup, it has the same wireframe as regular Chris, no idea why other than Next Tech being lazy with port extras. If only the Saturn bothered having support for uv maps I would have also exported the texture; guess I'll leave that for another day, but considering the general quality (4 bit textures with 9 palettes max isn't really great, plus the model is entirely made of quads and degenerated quads to simulate tris) it's probably best if I try and rip the ticks instead, for a little spice on my own extras. And again, God that Saturn incapable of doing uv maps.

And since I've got no other relevant news to post for the moment, get a couple screens of the stuff I'm adding to the debug menu:

The first picture is more like a side effect of implementing a time counter, while the other is just me taking inspiration from the RE1 debugger to use a module that would let me tweak the lights in real time and produce the best lighting effects.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
    , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Looks almost like a genuine build of RE! I'm curious, what kind of stuff is in the Utility Menu?

Comment

• This is by far one of the most impressive RE fan projects ever. Way more advanced than any mod, besides IGAS. They are modifying the existing code, but your's is a bit more impressive as the code will all be yours. There is no base game that this is being built upon.
        My Head-Fi Page

Comment

• Originally posted by geluda View Post
          Looks almost like a genuine build of RE! I'm curious, what kind of stuff is in the Utility Menu?
          I think I showed that in the last video with the RE1 rooms. For the moment it's just a few options regarding background settings, camera lock, and enemy existence flags. Later revisions shall implement a few more, like player switching and others I keep on forgetting.

Originally posted by Zombie_X View Post
          This is by far one of the most impressive RE fan projects ever. Way more advanced than any mod, besides IGAS. They are modifying the existing code, but your's is a bit more impressive as the code will all be yours. There is no base game that this is being built upon.
          It would have been hard to base it on other games, considering all the nasty effects of using somebody else's work as a start. Speaking of existing engines, I could have used Unity, but I don't really like it one bit and I rather reinvent the wheel to be efficient even on a 33 MHz processor with a crappy GPU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
            God that Saturn incapable of doing uv maps.
            I'm very interested in this stuff (retro hardware features), and I´ve never heard that before. Without UV maps, how the developers in Saturn put the textures in the correct place?

By the way, impressive work.
            Si guisante se dice "pea" y chiflado "nut", ¿Un cacahuete "peanut" es un chiflado de los guisantes?

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Wes View Post
              Without UV maps, how the developers in Saturn put the textures in the correct place?
              Unless I skipped a chapter in the official reference, texture mapping is performed only by having a slice of texture associated to a polygon through the attribute table. I'm not kidding, you get tiny pieces of a texture for a single quad, which is why I didn't bother texturing Chris at all. I'd have to use a lot of math to rearrange something like an actual texture with uv maps, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Comment

Meanwhile I took a look around for a few cool extras and dug around the Saturn data, only to find this:
                Well, the only thing I can tell is, that I'm really glad to have you around Gemini. Your contribution to the whole scene is priceless.
                I have a question regarding the SFX. I read that you guys are going to re-record some dialogue with new actors. What's your plan with sound effects? Such as monster sounds and all the other sounds? Are you going to re-use them from other titles or the team plans to record additional audio for those as well?

Comment

• Ok, Ticks are going to be in BTM for sure:

Their model is quite sweet and doesn't look an awful lot like the Hunter's, like I initially thought (they look more like a mantis and those spikes are a nice touch). If I can bake the object and generate a satisfying uv map from the Saturn mess, then I have a new enemy for Survival mode.

Originally posted by Getta robo View Post
                  What's your plan with sound effects? Such as monster sounds and all the other sounds? Are you going to re-use them from other titles or the team plans to record additional audio for those as well?
                  I haven't decided yet what to use. It depends entirely on how much we're willing to change the sound sets, but so far they work pretty well for 32 bit graphics. If we were to bump up the assets and make them more realistic, then I would definitively want to replace the whole sound library to avoid goofy effects.

Comment

Ok, Ticks are going to be in BTM for sure:
                    so much birkin approve!

Comment

Ok, Ticks are going to be in BTM for sure:
                      Their model is quite sweet and doesn't look an awful lot like the Hunter's, like I initially thought (they look more like a mantis and those spikes are a nice touch). If I can bake the object and generate a satisfying uv map from the Saturn mess, then I have a new enemy for Survival mode.
                      Hurrey! one of my most favorite BOWs is going to be featured in BTM! Finally, my hopes seem to be a reality!
                      If you ever be around Greece, I'd buy you some gyro. I promise!

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                      I haven't decided yet what to use. It depends entirely on how much we're willing to change the sound sets, but so far they work pretty well for 32 bit graphics. If we were to bump up the assets and make them more realistic, then I would definitively want to replace the whole sound library to avoid goofy effects.
                      Exactly like you well said, several of the sound effects sound goofy. If you don't chose to re-arrange or to re-record new ones, at least consider adding those from the later generation RE titles, like zero and code veronica.
                      Are you going to reveal the re-arranged music at some point in the near future?

Comment

• Getta robo, did you get the link I PM'd you? (didn't see your old PM 'till now)
                        Last edited by Carnivol; 06-04-2014, 04:37 PM. Reason: (Totally related to this thread)

Comment

• Gemini you may as well for the heck of it throw 1 or 2 Ticks in the lab since it would be a good place to put them.

Comment

• Wow, brilliant work with finding these, they were known but never accessible in this manner. I'm really impressed and look forward to seeing more from this project over all.
                            sigpic

"Beware the friends bearing false gifts and speaking with fork tongues. Poor Four-Eyes!" - Rev, New Dominion Tank Police

Comment

• Where are these models from?

Comment

• The Sega Saturn version of Biohazard.

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                                Last edited by BiohazardFE; 06-04-2014, 08:04 PM. Reason: Spelling.
                                sigpic

"Beware the friends bearing false gifts and speaking with fork tongues. Poor Four-Eyes!" - Rev, New Dominion Tank Police

Comment

Working...
                                X