No announcement yet.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great work, guys. Appreciate the RE1 love ;) Maybe one day we'll see some sort of new RE1 director's cut with this engine? How difficult would it be to transfer a significant portion of the RE1 gameplay over? Or would you need to rescript all events and such?

Comment

• Originally posted by RetroRain View Post
      Oh, and I wanted to ask you. Are you writing this game in C, or the PSX assembly language? Or, are you writing it in C, and then converting it to the PSX assembly language?
      The engine is all written in C with only four functions coded in assembly (a custom stub, debug stuff to catch freezes, and two routines to toggle stack pointer mapping on the scratchpad), while the tools are in C++ mixed with Direct X 9 and wrapped WinAPI.

Originally posted by Getta robo View Post
      You can at least consider the possibility of improve it, in order to match closer the draw counterpart, or even further alter him, just this exceptional fanart
      The actual model looks much better than that lousy game rip, and like I said improvements will be made where required.

Originally posted by Scream View Post
      Maybe one day we'll see some sort of new RE1 director's cut with this engine? How difficult would it be to transfer a significant portion of the RE1 gameplay over? Or would you need to rescript all events and such?
      There won't be a RE Director's Cut with BTM's engine for several reason. First of all, RE1 is bloated like hell and generally contains a ton inconsistencies because CAPCOM programmers were still not experienced with C and 3D stuff at the time. Second reason, the bytecode is literally hell and it lacks a decent structure, whereas BTM tries to organize it much better. Third, I could leave the scripting as is because the user can't tell the difference in game, but that would require a lot of time only for documenting each bytecode's behavior. TL;DR: way too much stuff to do when there are better alternatives already. :/

And here goes something quick I put together this morning while designing the battle mode interface:
      Last edited by Gemini; 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
      , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• I'm looking forward for a playable demo !

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
          The actual model looks much better than that lousy game rip, and like I said improvements will be made where required.

And here goes something quick I put together this morning while designing the battle mode interface:
          Alright! We got all the good faith for you guys, we're amazed from what we've seen so far so naturally we have no concerns for what we're hopefully going to see in the near future. The screen looks great!
          I have a question regarding the options of the game. Have you planned any choices upon successfully completing the game? Such as start a new game with different placed enemies and items/objects, unlocking an option for starting a new game with more difficult enemies, or even gain access to new paths and areas for example?

Comment

Can we play it, please?

BioHazard YouTube Channel
            BioHazard 2 Prototype Database Project

Comment

• If this can run on PS1...what's the actual chance there's a retail release? Yes RE is Capcom's IP but this is like homebrew...and many NES/SNES homebrew is released without any consequences (look at reprints such as Super Mario Bros 2J or Mr. Gimmick)....but if there was a limited run...I think this would be amazing for the community.

I'm getting ahead of myself here considering the project is just in the beginning but still!

The only problem would be entering the key or whatever it is that allows it to be played on a PS1/PS2. I know you were testing this on PS1/2 hardware but is that a realistic goal or is this project mainly for PC?
              Last edited by Chris' Boob; 07-15-2014, 04:00 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Indeed, what will be needed to boot this project on real hardware?

Comment

• Originally posted by Northman View Post
                  Indeed, what will be needed to boot this project on real hardware?
                  Good question.

I would like to run it on my PS3, but I'm not sure if it would be as simple as burning a disk and popping it in--or if I would also have to mod my console? Keep in mind I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to these things. You guys might as well be wizards.

To me, this project along with 1.5 are as real as it gets. Eventually, I'll probably put my (worthless) degree in graphic design to good use and end up making some cover/back/spine art for the cd case(provided someone else doesn't make one for download/print) for myself and anyone else who wants it, so I can display them on the shelf with the other classics titles. Totally legit.
                  Last edited by REmaster; 07-16-2014, 01:35 AM.
                  "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                  Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

• will the demo be out sometime this year you think ? and will the psx emulator work with it ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Getta robo View Post
                      Have you planned any choices upon successfully completing the game? Such as start a new game with different placed enemies and items/objects, unlocking an option for starting a new game with more difficult enemies, or even gain access to new paths and areas for example?
                      You will be given a number of missions, some sharing the same scene field even, but with a different route and objectives. Some items will be placed in a completely random way, since I set up statics and other 3D elements to be stored in a separate archive from the rooms, very much like RE2 N64 and Deadly Silence do.

Originally posted by Kegluneq View Post
                      Can we play it, please?
                      In due time. It's just a draft so far, but most of it is already sketched on paper.

Originally posted by Chris' Boob View Post
                      If this can run on PS1...what's the actual chance there's a retail release?
                      You mean something like an official release? That, I doubt. Hazardous Battle and BTM will be distributed as simple ISOs. From there you can either burn them to disk or convert the ISO to be played on a PSP as an EBOOT.

The only problem would be entering the key or whatever it is that allows it to be played on a PS1/PS2. I know you were testing this on PS1/2 hardware but is that a realistic goal or is this project mainly for PC?
                      I could easily break PSX limitations and make this engine aimed at emulators, but that's not how I like to work. Each emulator would react in a different way, meaning the code would perform differently on each program used to play it. My target is always real hardware because this easily allows my stuff to work the same everywhere - the user gets a wider choice of which entertainment platform to play it on this way.

Originally posted by Northman View Post
                      Indeed, what will be needed to boot this project on real hardware?
                      I'll make sure to include a few notes at release. Still, most of this information can already be easily found with Google. Assembler would be a good place to look at, too.

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                      I would like to run it on my PS3, but I'm not sure if it would be as simple as burning a disk and popping it in--or if I would also have to mod my console?
                      You will need a mod-chipped console, with a custom firmware, or whatever is around lately (not sure if Cobra ODE can run PSX ISO). I don't have a modded PS3 anymore, so I can't really answer better in this case.
                      Last edited by Gemini; 07-16-2014, 08:10 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                      , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

You will need a mod-chipped console, with a custom firmware, or whatever is around lately (not sure if Cobra ODE can run PSX ISO). I don't have a modded PS3 anymore, so I can't really answer better in this case.
                        I see, would that also be the case with a PS1?
                        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                        Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

• it would be hard for me to find a ps1 let alone a modded one. oh well lol.
                          wont there be a chance that the psx emulator would just run the iso anyway ?

Comment

• Well duh, you can easily get a modded ps3 with iris manager, but stay away from phat ps3s because they don't live long because they overheat very quickly, the ps3 slim is your perfect choice ! Also you should know that some ps3s cant be modded because some of them comes with 3.56 and above, you cant install cfw on those, so do what i did and buy a hacked ps3.

Comment

You mean something like an official release? That, I doubt. Hazardous Battle and BTM will be distributed as simple ISOs. From there you can either burn them to disk or convert the ISO to be played on a PSP as an EBOOT.
                              Wait, they'll be separate ISOs? Hm. Either way, I'll make myself my own retail copy when this project is all finished then
                              sigpic

Comment

• Gosh, if only IGAS were using this custom engine to remake BH1.5 instead of the original broken one we might have had something released by now...

Comment

Working...
                                X