Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VirusPunk View Post
    I know this has been gone over already, but wouldn't it be a little easier to accomplish the goal of Behind the Mask via just editing one of the existing RE games?

RE1 is fully editable with Leo2236's RDT Editor, that way you don't have to go through the hassle of coding so many of the elements from scratch.
    AI is the first thing I'd bring up as missing, full UI alterations rather than rewiring the existing one, full controll of memory mapping for event scripts and triggers, etc. (+it's generally easier to add new functions to your own code rather than reverse engineering something. Like, say you want to add in-game non-loading screen animations for climbing up and down ladders within the same space or add a dodge/crouch function for whatever reason.)
    Last edited by Carnivol; 08-20-2014, 04:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VirusPunk View Post
      I know this has been gone over already, but wouldn't it be a little easier to accomplish the goal of Behind the Mask via just editing one of the existing RE games?
      Why would I want to use an old and deprecated engine when mine does already most of the stuff and way better? The RE1 engine is also a total derelict, limited in way too many aspect and complete garbage if you check its code.

RE1 is fully editable with Leo2236's RDT Editor, that way you don't have to go through the hassle of coding so many of the elements from scratch.
      I have a full toolchain that does conversion, edit, and build jobs. The whole thing even works in batches and can rebuild a fully working game in a matter of seconds.

Here's but a short list of what can be done:
      1) Import/export cameras directly from 3D Studio Max.
      2) Import/export switch zones or create them from the editor all on the fly.
      3) Edit footstep zones.
      4) Edit lights.
      5) Edit and place masks on the fly.
      6) Create boundaries on the fly.
      7) Add enemies, NPC's, items, doors, messages, etc all without hex editing or unpacking files.
      8) On the fly GPS system, where it displays your locations in real time while the game is running allowing for easy edit reference points.
      9) Add or edit mirrors!
      Most of these can already be done with my own editors or directly in game via debugging modules of all sorts. 1/2/3/4 can be done within COLLADA exports or via custom editor, 5 doesn't need an editor or real time previews at all (masks are automatically generated and packed together via batch insertion), 4-7 can be edited from the debug menu, and 8 can be displayed from debug hovering info. 9 doesn't exist yet, I have only started creating drafts of mirrors, but they are going to be used for the Battle Mode.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
      , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• if we did not already have solid code for 1.5 with much ai function and other codebase assets that make 1.5 operate like 1.5 do we would probably use original engine for 1.5 project too if all we had was art asset and video.

Comment

• Gemini, will you be using the Resident Evil DS zombies for the mansion instead of the original ones? Also, I don't know if this was present in RE2, but another great thing about RE1 is that you could actually shoot the limbs off the zombies, namely the arms. Do you plan on adding this to your game?
          My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
          ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

• Originally posted by Zombie_X View Post
            They will be $20 each. If you want a specific model I can see what I have. They range from SCPH model 1001 through 101, so I have quite a range. Keep in mind the MM3 chip is not completely stealth as trouble games like Biohazard 3 and Dino Crisis 2 will still see it.
            Yo Zombie_X! Do you still have any extra ones? If so, let me know through PM...I'm actually quite interested in buying one off of you!
            Last edited by Kaneco; 08-23-2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• We got a new update by the team:

Back to gameplay programming. Weapons improved a lot this time.
              #ducks_on_a_plane #contacts #battle_mode

I wonder if this is for the battle mode, for the actual game or both?

Comment

• That'd be badass if this released around the same time as 1.5 so we'd have 2 new classic RE titles to play! Tho with how far along Bzorks project is we'll likely see that release long before this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Getta robo View Post
                  I wonder if this is for the battle mode, for the actual game or both?
                  Weapons are in both modes after all. The update was about a huge-ass function that makes shots hit enemy collision boxes in a way that mimicries RE2. The result was a perfect copy, at least from what I could debug.

Originally posted by Deathlygasm View Post
                  That'd be badass if this released around the same time as 1.5 so we'd have 2 new classic RE titles to play! Tho with how far along Bzorks project is we'll likely see that release long before this one.
                  BTM doesn't have any release date and given the time it takes to make all the assets, it's probably well far away from even a demo of sorts. The battle mode, on the other hand, should take way less to make. Most of the assets come from various RE1 builds: the full RE1 scenario (i.e. rooms) has been converted to spreadsheets and other data (i.e. models) to meta formats compatible with Squeeze Bomb. What it needs is the engine core to be improved; perfecting the weapon code is a good start and I can easily edit the mechanics due to the way all the procedures work.

On a related note, I'm thinking of introducing weapon power ups (ex: bullets that pierce through enemies) and an ability system (ex: instant health recovery). Think of it like a merger of RE and Parasite Eve with an arcade flavor.
                  Last edited by Gemini; 08-28-2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Sounds nice, perhaps put an ammo laced with something toxic or that interferes with the hormone or chemical that is extracted to make tyrants.

Comment

• Holy shit this game is gonna be so badass!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                        Weapons are in both modes after all. The update was about a huge-ass function that makes shots hit enemy collision boxes in a way that mimicries RE2. The result was a perfect copy, at least from what I could debug.
                        That sounds pretty interesting. Is the enemy collision function going to have any similarities with the respective mechanism from RE3? If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that improved in all ways?

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                        On a related note, I'm thinking of introducing weapon power ups (ex: bullets that pierce through enemies) and an ability system (ex: instant health recovery). Think of it like a merger of RE and Parasite Eve with an arcade flavor
                        Regarding that, do you have the similar mechanisms from both Dino Crisis games? In any case, that would sound borderline arcade-ish for a RE game. Have you consider upgrades / improvements such like the weapon parts in RE2/3 and the vest in BH 2 beta / RE2? I believe those kind of power ups would be more appropriate for Behind the mask.
                        Gemini I also wanted to let you know that I haven't forget my promise that we discussed in our PMs. I'm supposed to see my buddy and send you a sketch along with some proposed ideas.
                        And as we previously said, if any one us could be somehow of assistance, just let us know!

Comment

• Gemini, since you've got alot more performance out of your engine that Capcom did with RE1&2 I was wondering, do you know what your maximum onscreen zombie limit is without killing framerate on a PS1?
                          "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                            On a related note, I'm thinking of introducing weapon power ups (ex: bullets that pierce through enemies) and an ability system (ex: instant health recovery). Think of it like a merger of RE and Parasite Eve with an arcade flavor.
                            Awhhh yis.

Bonus points for Parasite Eve II's weapon parts customization. M4A1 with a laser!
                            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Weapon upgrades = OK.

Originally posted by Getta robo View Post
                              In any case, that would sound borderline arcade-ish for a RE game
                              Agreed. Instant health recovery ability sounds awful. I imagine abilities as things like "hacking computers" to get a door open quicker or something. Anything like sprinting, extra dodge moves, or a white aura of light that instantly heals you just makes the game too arcadey and detracts from survival-horror atmosphere IMO. And no UI for this stuff please!

Though maybe you could expand on what you mean by "instant health recovery", and we might understand it better..

Comment

• Originally posted by Getta robo View Post
                                That sounds pretty interesting. Is the enemy collision function going to have any similarities with the respective mechanism from RE3? If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that improved in all ways?
                                RE2 and 3 should be identical there.

Regarding that, do you have the similar mechanisms from both Dino Crisis games? In any case, that would sound borderline arcade-ish for a RE game. Have you consider upgrades / improvements such like the weapon parts in RE2/3 and the vest in BH 2 beta / RE2? I believe those kind of power ups would be more appropriate for Behind the mask.
                                Not sure about BTM power ups, I was referring mainly to the battle mode. You buy power ups from the shop and they apply instantly to your weapon, very much like in DC2, just you won't do that mid-game.

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                                Gemini, since you've got alot more performance out of your engine that Capcom did with RE1&2 I was wondering, do you know what your maximum onscreen zombie limit is without killing framerate on a PS1?
                                Should be 8 or 9, depending on how much I abuse the CPU for engine logic.

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                                Bonus points for Parasite Eve II's weapon parts customization. M4A1 with a laser!
                                Added laser rifle to my work list. That was super sweet in REmake, too bad it never made it to release.

Originally posted by Scream View Post
                                Agreed. Instant health recovery ability sounds awful. I imagine abilities as things like "hacking computers" to get a door open quicker or something. Anything like sprinting, extra dodge moves, or a white aura of light that instantly heals you just makes the game too arcadey and detracts from survival-horror atmosphere IMO. And no UI for this stuff please!
                                Power ups and ability packs are only for the battle mode game, which isn't survival horror at all.

Though maybe you could expand on what you mean by "instant health recovery", and we might understand it better..
                                You buy the ability at a high price from the shop, equip it on a character of your choice, go to battle, and whenever you get a fatal blow you get health restoration. Depending on which recovery ability you use, the regeneration power will vary.

Comment

Working...
                                X