Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident Evil Remake backgrounds question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil Remake backgrounds question.

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile as I couldnt really find an answer.

Basically I think we all love the RE:Make's pre-rendered backgrounds, it really does challenge a lot of current (and probably next-gens) ingame graphic ability as it still seems to hold up quite well except for resolution.

As we all probably notice, unlike the classic RE games, they seem to animate on a constant basis. The closest I've seen this in the previous games is (to my current recollection) is Resident Evil 3, at the Clock Tower where Carlos re-enters the building after receiving the vaccine for Jill, as he comes into the main hall, there is a close-up shot of a wall where cracks start appears through the use of 3 consequent image stills before the mutated Nemesis bursts through. I understand it might've been done like this because of the technical ability of the PlayStation at the time, but with the GameCube the backgrounds seem to cycle through different frames flawlessly.

My question is:

- How are these stored onto the discs? I am referring to as, if one was to extract them exactly as they are and to keep all of it's animations intact, how is it done? They certainly cant be scattered as one long image sequence in the same filepath for the next camera's backgrounds.

- Does anyone know what framerate their running at? I am assuming it's 30fps because running through 60 stills in a second (or more depending how long a loop goes on for) might probably melt the console to begin with.

Also...this may be along shot, but does anyone have any information of the making of these by any chance? Because it's such a good departure of quality compared to the renders of the previous games that there MUST be something behind it

I hope this is not too confusing for you lot! Let me know if there is something you don't get or whatever. I look forward hearing back from you's lot!

Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
    How are these stored onto the discs? I am referring to as, if one was to extract them exactly as they are and to keep all of it's animations intact, how is it done? They certainly cant be scattered as one long image sequence in the same filepath for the next camera's backgrounds.
    Each room/area is stored into a single archive file.

Extraction is fairly simple; they are JFIF compressed images (*.jpg). You can extract them easily with any generic JPG 'search & extractor' out there.

Kind of off-topic, but not really... Bio Zero uses JPEG images, as well, but they are encoded especially for use with the Nintendo GameCube and Wii and requires a special extraction routine that fixes each scan line.

Does anyone know what framerate their running at? I am assuming it's 30fps because running through 60 stills in a second (or more depending how long a loop goes on for) might probably melt the console to begin with.
    IIRC, 30 fps.

However, there is no set limit as to how many images a single camera may have. Some aren't even animated, at all, others may only have 4-5 while several others can reach up to 70 and beyond.

Also...this may be along shot, but does anyone have any information of the making of these by any chance? Because it's such a good departure of quality compared to the renders of the previous games that there MUST be something behind it
    I believe they were made by real-time recording of 3-dimensional model environment.

For example:

1 - Create 3D area in whatever application.

2 - Setup animations for models that require it (wind blowing trees, candle flicker, etc).

3 - Play and record the animation, extract each frame to JPEG.

...and I'm sure there is a better/accurate explanation than that.

Resident Evil 3, at the Clock Tower where Carlos re-enters the building after receiving the vaccine for Jill, as he comes into the main hall, there is a close-up shot of a wall where cracks start appears through the use of 3 consequent image stills before the mutated Nemesis bursts through. I understand it might've been done like this
    Not quite.

The Bio3 engine likely placed a 3D model for the illusion. Otherwise, it was a matter of simply changing what prerendered background is shown. In other words, a neat trick for PSone hardware limitation.
    I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
      Each room/area is stored into a single archive file.

Extraction is fairly simple; they are JFIF compressed images (*.jpg). You can extract them easily with any generic JPG 'search & extractor' out there.

Kind of off-topic, but not really... Bio Zero uses JPEG images, as well, but they are encoded especially for use with the Nintendo GameCube and Wii and requires a special extraction routine that fixes each scan line.
      In that case, how does one go about doing so? Where are the files located on the discs?

IIRC, 30 fps.

However, there is no set limit as to how many images a single camera may have. Some aren't even animated, at all, others may only have 4-5 while several others can reach up to 70 and beyond.
      Ahhh okay then, I suppose it's not really how many images there are (besides for singles) but at what framerate they're displayed in. And I suppose it would be 30fps as you've stated.

What confuses me abit is how they are able to sync up using the frames of when lightning strikes outside the mansion exactly to the lightning's light on the ingame's characters. Surely there must be somesort of script to tell the game to load up this exact pre-rendered background whenever lightning strikes, right?

I believe they were made by real-time recording of 3-dimensional model environment.

For example:

1 - Create 3D area in whatever application.

2 - Setup animations for models that require it (wind blowing trees, candle flicker, etc).

3 - Play and record the animation, extract each frame to JPEG.

...and I'm sure there is a better/accurate explanation than that.
      While that is informative, I am quite aware the procedure of making them would go along those lines (I'm hoping to do some myself) and that is the same case for the previous games, quite genius in a way, but what I was actually talking about was more from the developers side, any information of them in making these of the game itself.

Not quite.

The Bio3 engine likely placed a 3D model for the illusion. Otherwise, it was a matter of simply changing what prerendered background is shown. In other words, a neat trick for PSone hardware limitation.
      I'm going to need to play some of these games again, cause if it turns out tob e something better...then there is potential for something better to be made by ;)

Comment

In that case, how does one go about doing so? Where are the files located on the discs?
        They are located in the BGZ archive files.

As for extraction, simply Google something like "extract jpg from file" and you should find the appropriate apps for doing so.

Ahhh okay then, I suppose it's not really how many images there are (besides for singles) but at what framerate they're displayed in. And I suppose it would be 30fps as you've stated.

What confuses me abit is how they are able to sync up using the frames of when lightning strikes outside the mansion exactly to the lightning's light on the ingame's characters. Surely there must be somesort of script to tell the game to load up this exact pre-rendered background whenever lightning strikes, right?
        Just about every video game made since SNES on utilizes scripting in some form or another, so yeah, it's either hardcoded, scripted or both.

The Nintendo GameCube is a very capable machine with plenty of RAM to utilize, so it wouldn't be much of a hassle for the development team to sync the renders with lighting effects.

While that is informative, I am quite aware the procedure of making them would go along those lines (I'm hoping to do some myself) and that is the same case for the previous games, quite genius in a way, but what I was actually talking about was more from the developers side, any information of them in making these of the game itself.
        Uhhm, okay? Advancements in hardware and software since 1995 played a major role, I'm sure... I'm not even sure exactly what you're trying to ask.

Specifics quotes from developers and such?

I'm going to need to play some of these games again, cause if it turns out tob e something better...then there is potential for something better to be made by ;)
        If you're thinking of something along the lines of a fully 3-dimensional room, rather than prerendered, think again.
        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Nope ... there was no way that scene in RE3 was a 3D object - was too highly detailed. It was clearly 3 seperate backgrounds shown in quick succession. (It was zoomed in, like when you inspect a puzzle or something)

As for the animating backgrounds, I liked them alot.. Although PS1 has done this before - anyone who has played Parasite Eve 1 will know this (it was only minor but still cool)
          "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Hi guys!

Sorry for bringing this up once again, but I just managed to get round to exploring the pre-rendered backgrounds on this beautiful game!

However, for the animated ones, I don't quite understand if I am reading this correctly or not. It is evident that many frames exist in scenes where background animate with continuous movement, but when I opened them up, it only displays a couple of images for an animated background! I was hoping to see that there would be tons of them for specific ones.

Can anyone clarify me on this? I am getting this wrong...or right perhaps???

Comment

Re: Environments - Back in 2001/2002 when Capcom was updating it's website with videos every week, one week they showcased the environments 3D areas they created with a flythrough which explains somewhat in pictures what MarkGrass was explaining as to how they made them in the first place.

This is a video capcom released years ago for the REmake of Resident Evil for the gamecube, I stumbled upon it, and i noticed they had the contrast so damn b...

Comment

That flycam video was very nice! It truly shows what great work that went into making the mansion back in the early 2000s. It is a shame that Capcom hasn't kept any of this?

Back ontopic, anyone know what i am talking about or referring to??

Comment

Anyone at all may i ask?

Comment

1.) Well, they were created in Maya and (or) Softimage though pretty much any other modeling application could have sufficed. Why they look better than the previous games has mainly to do with the extensive use of photo textures better shading and lighting routines. Apart from that, I am pretty sure you will see these backgrounds far surpassed by realtime graphics from the new generation. It is all plain diffuse lighting and tbh the images are not very appealing to look at if you take a look on one of few higher res promotional renders.

2.) Don´t know the technical details, but I doubt that the were even updated at 30 fps. Looking forward to the PC version just because of modding.

Comment

I dont think anyone is understanding me on this matter, I've popped up with a new question which I made here:

Hi guys!

Sorry for bringing this up once again, but I just managed to get round to exploring the pre-rendered backgrounds on this beautiful game!

However, for the animated ones, I don't quite understand if I am reading this correctly or not. It is evident that many frames exist in scenes where background animate with continuous movement, but when I opened them up, it only displays a couple of images for an animated background! I was hoping to see that there would be tons of them for specific ones.

Can anyone clarify me on this? I am getting this wrong...or right perhaps???

Comment

Sorry to bring this up again guys!

But anyone at all perhaps? When I extract the animated background ones I only get a couple of frames but not the whole sequence. Isn't there any way to rip the full length of the animated backgrounds??
                        Last edited by Undead Sega; 01-22-2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

When I extract the animated background ones I only get a couple of frames but not the whole sequence. Isn't there any way to rip the full length of the animated backgrounds??
                          That's because animated backgrounds are treated as real videos (doesn't seem to be a known format, but it could be something standard from the GC libraries). RE0 handles them as JPEG-like sequences stored into separate files whether they are animated or not, while REmake embeds them all in archives interleaved with static pictures/sorta dynamic frames encoded as real JPEG data.
                          Last edited by Gemini; 01-23-2015, 05:20 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                          , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Oh right, i was pretty damn sure they would've been stored as a sequence of Jpegs, as i am still able to view at least two or so frames from the animated ones.

Either way, how would i go about extracting them?

Comment

Anyone at all?

Another reason why i find that hard to believe is because of places like the Main Hall and the Dining Room, it is largely a static background but at certain times lightning strikes and appears through the windows and into the room, that surely cannot be a video file being played throughout.

Comment

Working...
                              X