Resident Evil 1 Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
    Well yeah, I mean we kinda proved that we were able to replicate almost exactly what they've done to the pre-rendered backgrounds by just using the retail assets.

And I want you to understand as well that it is NOT hard to redo them, it's as simple as re-rendering them as a batch, which is probably what they did with most of the background images in Photoshop via. Image Processor.
    IF they still have the original assets used to render the backgrounds, and that's a big IF. It stands to reason that since they are manually editing the backgrounds instead, that they have either lost the assets or are in a position where re-rendering the backgrounds is more difficult than it's actually worth. Honestly, if they could just "re-render them as a batch", then don't you think that Capcom, which you believe to be lazy, would have taken this golden opportunity to make the least amount of effort by doing just that?
    Seibu teh geimu?
    ---

Comment

• Of course they wouldn't take the opportunity!

Capcom are digging their own grave for being renowned to succumb to such laziness and cheap-shots of daylight robbery!

Comment

• Pretty cool that some of the animated aspects of the backgrounds are now rendered live as 3d objects. It's too bad they weren't able to do it for more objects.

Comment

• That was a nice touch they did there ... using 3D objects rather than the animating backgrounds. Look forward to trying to spot more of these - though TBQH I'll probably miss them entirely lol
          "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• I found the video really awesome. Shows they are putting more effort into this remaster than people are giving them credit for smh.

Comment

• Based on what I've been seeing recently, I'd conjecture that Capcom has access to uncompressed backgrounds at a resolution somewhere between 800x600 (SVGA) and 1024x768 (XGA). It's abundantly obvious to me that these remasters are not struck from the 640x480 Gamecube assets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                Based on what I've been seeing recently, I'd conjecture that Capcom has access to uncompressed backgrounds at a resolution somewhere between 800x600 (SVGA) and 1024x768 (XGA). It's abundantly obvious to me that these remasters are not struck from the 640x480 Gamecube assets.
                Yes, that would be my guess too. Low-resolution, uncompressed background files.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                  It's abundantly obvious to me that these remasters are not struck from the 640x480 Gamecube assets.
                  They are taken straight from the GameCube disk.

Original

Remaster

Fan-remaster

Comparison

As you can see, literally the only difference between the official and fan remasters of the GameCube background is the YouTube limited color space. The only exceptions are the animated backgrounds that have been redrawn/3D'd. Also the in-engine lighting.
                  Last edited by News Bot; 10-16-2014, 08:11 AM.
                  PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• I can't believe this is still an issue. O.o

Half-assed, or not, it doesn't really matter to me - it's not like the selling price is outrageous. I'll be more than happy to play this game on a non-Nintendo machine, finally.

After all, there really isn't enough known about the engine to create any worthwhile fan modifications, anyways. New lighting, new resolution, new objects, different player models, HDMI support... sounds like a decent package to me.
                    I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                      They are taken straight from the GameCube disk.

Original

Remaster

Fan-remaster

Comparison

As you can see, literally the only difference between the official and fan remasters of the GameCube background is the YouTube limited color space. The only exceptions are the animated backgrounds that have been redrawn/3D'd. Also the in-engine lighting.
                      Ahhh NewsBot beat me to it! I was gonna go abit more indepth but you summarized it pretty well!

This pretty much justifies what I've seen saying all along about the pre-rendered backgrounds...they just look horrible!

Comment

• No, it's justified nothing. You're complaining about Capcom not doing a better job when they are physically unable to since they don't have the original assets, which you yourself said you would need in order to do a better job than them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                          No, it's justified nothing. You're complaining about Capcom not doing a better job when they are physically unable to since they don't have the original assets, which you yourself said you would need in order to do a better job than them.
                          Pretty much this. They're doing the best they can do under the circumstances, which is more than enough. Superior to emulating with Dolphin, anyway.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• ^ Exactly .. well said everyone.

They don't have the originals so had to try their best with what they had .. the fact they're adding new stuff into the game, aswell as outfits is a bonus they didn't have to do.
                            Give Capcom some credit..
                            "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• The whole point is that CAPCOM calls this a remaster, when a remaster would actually involve reworking most (if not all) data from master assets; clearly misleading. Stack on this the fact that they didn't even bother to fix some major artifacts there, yet they did claim they applied manual adjustments here and there. The best they could do? Yes, if this were a low-budget project (which it obviously is), otherwise it simply shows how much CAPCOM cares and considers their users a mass of blind idiots.
                              Last edited by Gemini; 10-17-2014, 06:12 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                              , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                                The whole point is that CAPCOM calls this a remaster, when a remaster would actually involve reworking most (if not all) data from master assets; clearly misleading. Stack on this the fact that they didn't even bother to fix some major artifacts there, yet they did claim they applied manual adjustments here and there. The best they could do? Yes, if this were a low-budget project (which it obviously is), otherwise it simply shows how much CAPCOM cares and considers their users a mass of blind idiots.
                                Or they realise that the majority aren't sad enough to spend this much effort complaining over something so insignificant.
                                4 Itchy Tasty.

Comment

Working...
                                X