No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 1 Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't call the graphics insignificant in this specific case, especially when the game was remade mainly to boast such incredible visuals and to include stuff they couldn't fit in back in 1996.
    Last edited by Gemini; 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
    , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• The only thing about this remaster that truly blows is the fact it won't contain any truly worthy extra features. As it stands this is all we got.
      - New Very Easy mode
      - BSAA Outfits
      - New control scheme
      - "16-9 Widescreen"

Comment

• It could be worse you know. it could be silent hill HD collection all over again.

Comment

• Moan moan moan. Just be greatful you have the ability to play it on multiple platforms at higher resolution without having to be stuck with a gamecube or wii which look like arse when 'upscaled' on a modern tv. They could have just NOT done this at all then we'd be no better off. If you don't like or think there's enough extra then it's simple, don't buy it. Problem solved.
          4 Itchy Tasty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deathlygasm View Post
            The only thing about this remaster that truly blows is the fact it won't contain any truly worthy extra features. As it stands this is all we got.
            - New Very Easy mode
            - BSAA Outfits
            - New control scheme
            - "16-9 Widescreen"
            It is unforgivable you not mentioning the remastered audio young man!

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
              No, it's justified nothing. You're complaining about Capcom not doing a better job when they are physically unable to since they don't have the original assets, which you yourself said you would need in order to do a better job than them.
              We don't really know that they don't have the original assets.

I mean, just take a look at this guys:

Click image for larger version

Name:	re_backgroundd_by_aloo81-d7u4ddf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	403775
              Last edited by Undead Sega; 10-17-2014, 09:53 PM. Reason: Image attachment.

Comment

• Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

They should've of got these guys to rerender it in 3d from scratch, even the soundtrack is ripped from re1. Would of been nice if they'd added a time attack mode like the sega saturn version of re1.
                Last edited by Mikhail; 10-17-2014, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aydan View Post
                  Moan moan moan. Just be greatful you have the ability to play it on multiple platforms at higher resolution without having to be stuck with a gamecube or wii which look like arse when 'upscaled' on a modern tv. They could have just NOT done this at all then we'd be no better off. If you don't like or think there's enough extra then it's simple, don't buy it. Problem solved.
                  I've seen just as much "praise praise praise" for a remaster that isn't a remaster in any way. I'm not sure why people can't complain about it looking like ass, because it does and it's not just for the backgrounds (new control scheme implementation looks amateurish at best). The only reason why somebody would really want to play this port, other than nostalgia, is if they haven't ever experienced REmake in any form. Personally I won't bother too much with this mess because I already played REmake years ago the exact way it was meant to be played. There's almost no point in using HD resolutions when the assets look way lower quality than the original ones, but I guess to each their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                    I've seen just as much "praise praise praise" for a remaster that isn't a remaster in any way. I'm not sure why people can't complain about it looking like ass, because it does and it's not just for the backgrounds (new control scheme implementation looks amateurish at best). The only reason why somebody would really want to play this port, other than nostalgia, is if they haven't ever experienced REmake in any form. Personally I won't bother too much with this mess because I already played REmake years ago the exact way it was meant to be played. There's almost no point in using HD resolutions when the assets look way lower quality than the original ones, but I guess to each their own.
                    Except that it clearly doesn't look like 'ass'. Its not perfect, but it's certainly better than the original with of course a few places where things perhaps look a bit too 'clean' but who the fuck cares? I'm just glad its happening at all personally and it's reasonably priced so I really don't see any issue to complain. Gamecube remake whilst still looking good, is certainly starting to show its age, and this version will give it the extra coat of paint it needs.

People who don't like it could always simply ignore it and not buy it, but hell they sure like hanging around in this thread.
                    "I've got 100 cows."
                    "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

• Ouch. Felt that over here in California. I need to lie down now O.o

Comment

• New video with more development information

In this video interview, watch a ton of new gameplay footage from the HD remaster and learn if this experience can help with a hypothetical remake of Resident Evil 2 or 3.
                        "I've got 100 cows."
                        "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                          The whole point is that CAPCOM calls this a remaster, when a remaster would actually involve reworking most (if not all) data from master assets; clearly misleading. Stack on this the fact that they didn't even bother to fix some major artifacts there, yet they did claim they applied manual adjustments here and there. The best they could do? Yes, if this were a low-budget project (which it obviously is), otherwise it simply shows how much CAPCOM cares and considers their users a mass of blind idiots.
                          I agree with you. It's such a low-budget project that they are releasing it as download-only in most of the world. The "new" costumes are merely direct model ports from RE5 instead of recreating new ones on the base Chris and Jill.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBatMan View Post
                            New video with more development information

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...-remaster.aspx
                            Thanks for sharing this! Gosh, Chris looks so good with his new textures. This video reveals that at least one background had to be remade and that's the crypt where you put in the masks. Apparently there were too many issues with getting the lighting to look right upscaling that background so Capcom remade part or most of it with polygons. It looks excellent and shows that they could have done that to the entire game if the time and money was allocated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
                              We don't really know that they don't have the original assets.

I mean, just take a look at this guys:
                              You just posted a promotional render from 2002. It's the same thing used in posters and the Japanese box art on the GameCube (although there are two variants with different vases beside the stairs as you'll see below). As it turned up again with the HD announcement, they obviously just have that sitting in the Press archives and have republished it.

Same as to this was for the release of Zero, a very well rendered and lit environment (this time with the characters included - thanks PU for the archive) and was used as box art as well:

Last edited by Rombie; 10-18-2014, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBatMan View Post
                                Except that it clearly doesn't look like 'ass'. Its not perfect, but it's certainly better than the original with of course a few places where things perhaps look a bit too 'clean' but who the fuck cares?
                                I exaggerated with 'ass' on purpose. Compared to the original this so called remaster does look pretty bad, let's be honest. I mean, those beautiful backgrounds lost a ton details which were replaced/altered by upscale artifacts, and character textures have been upscaled with the cheapest trick (they could clearly do a much better job at least in that regard). On top of that non-tank controls look like crap, as if it couldn't be pulled off way better and with smoother rotation transitions. To me the game now feels barely above average just because it still inherits all the goodies from the original, however for a port the overall result is quite disappointing and I rather go for the original even if it can't rain HD glittering sparks all over my screen.

People who don't like it could always simply ignore it and not buy it, but hell they sure like hanging around in this thread.
                                It wouldn't be a forum if only people praising this port were here to post. It's nice to have different opinions, especially if there are valid argumentations behind them.

Comment

Working...
                                X