Resident Evil 1 Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
    It's nice to have different opinions, especially if there are valid argumentations behind them.
    Uhuh sure...
    Spoiler:

Comment

• Originally posted by Dark_Chris View Post
      Uhuh sure...
      Practical examples seen on this very thread:
      - Port looks half assed and low budget; they claim it's a remaster; manual adjustments by dissecting the game in a million pieces showing up nowhere.
      - Uh, we're getting the game anyway on newer consoles, new outfits, very easy mode that was already there in the Japanese version. YAAAAAAAAAY!
      Pick up the one that sounds more like a valid argumentation and don't be shy to post more than two words. ;)
      Last edited by Gemini; 10-18-2014, 08:08 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
      , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Originally posted by djepic112 View Post
        This video reveals that at least one background had to be remade and that's the crypt where you put in the masks. Apparently there were too many issues with getting the lighting to look right upscaling that background so Capcom remade part or most of it with polygons. It looks excellent and shows that they could have done that to the entire game if the time and money was allocated.
        They explained why they didn't do it though : because it wouldn't be the same atmosphere if the game was all "real time 3D". They had to stick with pre-rendered backgrounds to stay true to the original. They used 3D when upscaling couldn't cut it.

Gemini : Come on, give them credit. The guys went through every shot of the game and had to find tricks to refine some of the most problematic. The lighting and 3D models are way better than in the original, you have to at least admit that.
        If you wanna talk half assed port, let's talk about RE4 HD on PS3/Xbox360 instead. Choppy framerate, zero new feature, no new lighting, no updated 3D models, atrocious unchanged Separate Ways movies...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sly View Post
          atrocious unchanged Separate Ways movies...
          I believe this still exists in the ultimate hd pc version. It must be a real issue, not lazyness. It exists in wii version, ps3/xbox hd and yet in pc version.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sly View Post
            Gemini : Come on, give them credit. The guys went through every shot of the game and had to find tricks to refine some of the most problematic. The lighting and 3D models are way better than in the original, you have to at least admit that.
            Lights aren't better, they are just different; on GC they were hardware lights, REmaster uses shaders to uniform the conversion process. As for the models, what makes them look better? It's the same GC assets with artificially upscaled textures. I do give them credit for finding solutions to obvious issues caused by a different resolution, but the real problem here is the final result which is just "Meh, 'kay, at least it's still playable" rather than "Hell, this remaster looks stunning just as much as the original. HD is really something!".

If you wanna talk half assed port, let's talk about RE4 HD on PS3/Xbox360 instead. Choppy framerate, zero new feature, no new lighting, no updated 3D models, atrocious unchanged Separate Ways movies...
            I already discussed the RE4 issue in the first pages of this thread by mentioning what they did with the PC rerelease. Technically speaking REmaster has been handled in a very similar manner to RE4HD.
            Last edited by Gemini; 10-18-2014, 10:50 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
            , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
              Practical examples seen on this very thread:
              - Port looks half assed and low budget; they claim it's a remaster; manual adjustments by dissecting the game in a million pieces showing up nowhere.
              - Uh, we're getting the game anyway on newer consoles, new outfits, very easy mode that was already there in the Japanese version. YAAAAAAAAAY!
              Pick up the one that sounds more like a valid argumentation and don't be shy to post more than two words. ;)
              Lol you're absolutely right, also who cares for these useless extras which doesn't add any replay value to this game, but at least i can finally play this game with a decent 720p upscaled image on my 42"TV instead of a 480p pale stretched mess !

Comment

• Gemini is making sense on everything. This is a poor job done when they have the resources to do so much better, even within the allocated budget.

Another thing that grinds my gears with this and also as it's currently been discussed is the lighting. That's another thing they they've messed up completely! The game now has lost that nice cinematic or 'scenic' lighting that appears in the original and now everything of the models looks abit too well lit and hardly any shadows been cast on them looks as if they fit the scene.

This is evident in my post back in August that I made here:

Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
                And if anyone is interested:

(High-res file: http://i.imgur.com/ZWHbEwW.jpg)
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]9762[/ATTACH]
                And in the video that CODE_umb87 posted not too long after my post:

Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
                Yeah and the REmastered models look much better, even when you compare them to the dolphin emulator which you appear to be doing. A fair comparison would be to actually use stills straight from the Wii/Gamecube.

And since you prefer comparing this with the dolphin emulator here is a video you may have missed comparing the two.

Remastered looks better. Simple as that.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Undead Sega; 10-20-2014, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• RE1 HD and Rev2 at London Comic Con

I posted this over at Biohaze, but thought I should share it here as well. Sadly I didn't go yesterday when they showcased Revelations 2 at the event, so I missed that, but I did get to see the HD version in person today:

So I went along to the RE HD panel at the MCM London Comic Con today. The panel was MC'ed by some guy doing all the events, but the people involved were Neil Gorton, CE's UK Social and Community guy - who was playing the game, and D.C. Douglas.

(For people that might be worried about Douglas' appearance on the panel - ) I can confirm D.C. was just attending because he was at the con anyway, but it was nice because he talked about Peter Jessop's work in the GC version, meeting him as they have the same agent, and having to later try and match both him and Richard Waugh. Someone did ask if they were thinking of re-recording Wesker's lines (or any characters) as an alternate, or provide the original voices from the PS1 original as a hidden bonus feature I kid you not. Anyway, on the demo...

The demo was a recent but obviously not complete build running on the PS4 (the PS4 XMB sprung up at the start and showcased it was the same unit they were running Rev2 off also the day before because it was the next game on the list). Here is what I saw in short:

Title screen redone (in 16:9). Neil started the game from the menu and a HD specific menu appeared, which allows you to select such things as the frame size, the default control configuration, etc. The game was selected to play in 16:9. The difficulty page certainly had 3 options as Capcom had announced. The first was still Mountain Climbing and then Hiking, and the very easy option now is described as a "Walk." I tried to take photos of these but had some problems due to the bright lights splashed around the area.

On the character select screen he picked Jill over Chris, and then discussed the online community's speed at getting the BSAA costumes unlocked for everyone. He then switched Jill's costume to this, which changed her outfit to the new one and the photo ID to a BSAA card instead of the S.T.A.R.S. one. This was what he started the game as. Someone asked about extra costumes and bonus' and while Neil didn't confirm anything was planned, he did say the team working on the game in Japan were amazed at how quickly the community "unlocked" the costumes and that they're thinking about what to do next.

The opening CG cutscene played, cropped as we expected, in full. The first cutscene showcased that indeed the costume change is also for cutscenes as Jill's model was the BSAA one as selected.

Neil ran Jill around the first parts of the mansion, and I have to say it looked really good in motion - especially considering this was a PS4 version running likely 1080p and being projected onto a large screen in the hall. The animation work on the extra details such as flickering lights and flames was really good, the lamps give off extra heat haze and little details that the team have added in. It was hard to judge all of the lighting off the large screen however given the projection wash and lighting in the hall, but in general it looked good. Sadly I don't think I saw much in the way of real-time environments... Jill wasn't taken outside and the interior stuff was likely to be all still pre-renders. If there was any rooms, such as the one to the west with the Bird cage that are, then they certainly weren't noticeable, which is good.

I'd love to be able to say more but there was some issues with the panel which prevented much being said or shown. Firstly it started at 2.20pm, 20 minutes late because the others before it had all run over time, and then D.C. was due to leave to go do signing at 2.55pm, so it only ran for about 35 minutes, of which of course at the start of a game was a lot of cutscene times. There was also a plan to show some more of Rev2 again but they just never had any time to do it.

There was a mixture of questions for both the game and D.C., most of the game stuff focused on the idea of the future of the franchise, the idea of releasing Zero and the idea of Remaking 2 and 3 possibly. All and all it certainly sounds like if the HD version does well and Rev2 does well then the franchise will focus more traditionally and there is a better chance that both Zero and other possible remakes will happen. I have some photos of the HD version on screen... 8 terrible photos from my phone via my OneDrive. - http://1drv.ms/1yCHXjz

You can at least kinda see the 3 difficulty options and some of the ingame cutscenes... nothing else sadly.

Sadly neither the HD game or Rev2 were playable on the floor. Capcom's booth was small compared to most companies and they were only running mostly 3DS titles with a small table for selling a few items. Given the lengths at which 16 and 18 games had to be policed elsewhere (MKX, FC4, and AC:U had enclosed booths with dozens of attendants) this isn't that surprising.

(In case anyone else wonders I managed some hands on with AC:U, MKX, and Lego Batman 3. Apparently there was a panel on Arkham Knight yesterday but aside from a large banner nothing on the show floor at the WB booth sadly).

EDIT - If anyone wants to see the panel for themselves, with also some full screen footage it's also online I've just found out. Better than seeing my pics. http://www.twitch.tv/reseronetwork/b/582164203
                  Last edited by Rombie; 10-26-2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• ^Thanks so much for sharing all this. I'm SOO GLAD that the BSAA costumes will show up in cutscenes. BTW, this panel was a MESS. It was very disorganized and there was too much going on at the same time (panel banter, playing loud game, questions getting asked, etc.). I like DC Douglas but he took too much of the attention away from the gameplay.
                    Last edited by djepic112; 10-27-2014, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, disorganized is certainly how I would describe it. But the 20 minute delay and having to race D.C. off at the end certainly didn't help things. Plus the MC was just lazy and slow getting around with the mic to even get questions at the start. And while D.C. probably was distracting being so off the cuff, if the whole thing had been slightly better organized that probably wouldn't have happened as much. I mean they had prizes to give away and didn't even plan how to do that, instead just two random people with questions for D.C. got them at the time they decided to give them away rather than say, via a Resident Evil trivia question or something.

Comment

• Cool that they redesigned the difficulty menu but the old difficulty descriptions were cooler even if they weren't quite as clear as these new ones.

Comment

• I try to be as positive as I can about this lack of shadows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sem título.png
Views:	1
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	403809

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	403810

Comment

• What i truly hate about this remaster is the new controller movement scheme, it makes the characters movement utterly stupid and jerky, i hope it's optional as i prefer the good old tank controllers over this casual (fans) nonsense !

Comment

• Originally posted by originalzombie View Post
                              What i truly hate about this remaster is the new controller movement scheme, it makes the characters movement utterly stupid and jerky, i hope it's optional as i prefer the good old tank controllers over this casual (fans) nonsense !
                              It's optional.

Comment

• Plus it will mean 'new noob' players can cheat the game - since the modern controls are so jerky and fast, your actually faster than the A.I (mainly zombies) can handle, so you can dodge/run around them so easily.. unlike if you were playing with classic tank controls..
                                I don't like it TBQH, they should have smoothed them out like in Outbreak..
                                "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Working...
                                X