Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Shinji Mikami considered the "Father of Survival Horror"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Shinji Mikami considered the "Father of Survival Horror"?

I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or "Gaming in General" but it seems more relevant to this forum. So I've been digging around trying to figure out the answer to this other than his association with Biohazard/Resident Evil but I'm not really turning up anything.

What did he do (if anything) that was crucial to the series becoming what it is historically known for? How big of a role did he play? I'm particularly interested in his involvement with RE2, but I'd like the whole story as well.
    sigpic
    "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

He was RE1(PSX) Director, then switched role to Producer from RE2 onwards, returning as Director for RE(GC) and RE4.

He's just adulated in general by people who think he did everything, directed all pre-RE5 games and is the main responsible behind any RE that was survival horror, sometimes even thinking he created the survival.

This is how it works for some people:
    All the good things that happened on RE: it's thanks to Mikami
    All the wrong things that happened on RE: it's Capcom's fault
    The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

I didn't know if maybe his decision (or lack of) were known in greater detail than his position at the time. For example, his influence over RE2 post 1.5, or his input in REmake, etc.
      sigpic
      "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

Shouldnt Tokuro Fujiwara actually be considered "Father of Survival Horror" instead of Shinji Mikami?

Comment

I think it's just the fact that he directed the first game, the game that coined the actual term "Survival Horror".

Comment

Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
            Shouldnt Tokuro Fujiwara actually be considered "Father of Survival Horror" instead of Shinji Mikami?
            Technically in relationship to Biohazard, Sweet Home, and the brand of 'survival horror' that was placed on the 1996 game, yes... but most people don't know Fujiwara because he wasn't the face for the franchise either.

You could argue too that those involved with some of Biohazard's other predecessors (like Doctor Hauzer, Alone In The Dark and Clock Tower among others) may also be the true 'father' of the genre even if it didn't quite have a name yet because unlike Sweet Home, they'd more directly in the design of things like those in Biohazard. But that's all up for endless debate, much like Mikami's place.
            Last edited by Rombie; 08-26-2014, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Mikami is only the "father" in that he named and specifically defined the genre's attributes. Being director he also had final say regarding BIO1's gameplay mechanics, which inspired the other games even if he wasn't directly involved in them.
              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Agreed with Newsbot. And if you want to see other games out there that featured horror, group dynamics, non linear exploration and limited resources then there was alot more before Sweet Home.

Although the quality varies from the great (at the time):

And

a classic game was to hard never compleated it :(

To the awful:

"Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

I consider him and Kamiya the fathers tbh.

Edit: Even to Kamiya can be a complete dick I can't deny what he did for Survival Horror with RE2. Plus he's nowhere near the ranks of Phil Fish.
                  Last edited by Deathlygasm; 08-26-2014, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathlygasm View Post
                    I consider him and Kamiya the fathers tbh.

Edit: Even to Kamiya can be a complete dick I can't deny what he did for Survival Horror with RE2. Plus he's nowhere near the ranks of Phil Fish.
                    He's a dick? I think he's hilarious.

Comment

I'm just curious. Do you all think that Mikami's The Evil Within will rejuvenate interest in survival horror? And if it does, does Capcom try to go back to their survival horror roots to remain competitive within the genre?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser
                        I'm just curious. Do you all think that Mikami's The Evil Within will rejuvenate interest in survival horror?
                        Nope. I think this game will be a failure.

The gameplay looks atrocious and most of the horror elements are just recycled ideas from silent hill, Resident Evil,....

Comment

Originally posted by Grem View Post
                          Nope. I think this game will be a failure.

The gameplay looks atrocious and most of the horror elements are just recycled ideas from silent hill, Resident Evil,....
                          Yeah kinda reminds me of shadows of the damned.

Comment

Originally posted by Renard View Post
                            He's a dick? I think he's hilarious.
                            I don't. He's made good games, but I would expect his shit behavior from a 14-year-old. Can barely stand him.

EDIT:
                            Originally posted by Sly View Post
                            You gotta be kidding.
                            Nope.
                            Kamiya is Twitter's only redeeming point.
                            No, sir. You are absolutely wrong. wrong. wrong. wrong.
                            this one is GOLD.
                            I'm afraid we can't do business.
                            Last edited by OKeijiDragon; 09-05-2014, 12:29 AM.
                            If you have Twitter, follow me!. =P

Comment

You gotta be kidding. Kamiya is Twitter's only redeeming point. Well, him and the fake "CEO Kaz Hirai" account, this one is GOLD.

I think Evil Within will be a good game, but by no means a revolution. I like what I've seen so far, so it's definitely a day one purchase. The story will probably be rubbish though.

Comment

Working...
                              X