New Resident Evil Movie Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Resident Evil Movie Series

News hitting Hollywood is that Constantin Films are developing a new series of Resident Evil films. From the sounds of things, they may be finally going in the direction of a horror-centric film, as James Wan (The Conjuring, Insidious) is producing this new film. The screenwriter recently worked on the Mortal Kombat reboot for Warner Bros.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/resident...pt-1202100081/

No director is set.

My thoughts: This move is most likely to continue generating revenue and also to allow Constantin Films to retain the movie rights. It will probably be a smaller budget, with an all-new (and lesser-paid) cast, and will probably return to the series roots, using Resident Evil 7 as a basis for the movie's tone. Bad reviews of the last film, and good reviews of the newest game and its return to the original games' formula may have mad an impact. Let's hope this means we will finally get a more faithful adaptation, one that begins with the original game's story being brought to the screen.
    Current writing project: Resident Evil: Origins (screenplay)

Bong Joon-ho as director and i'm sold.

Comment

Originally posted by deadline.com
      (the first of six, as reported by our sister publication Variety)
      Whoa whoa whoa. The first of six? They are being WAAAY too optimistic here.

Comment

These movies are a pretty big box office draw for an R-rated series. I wouldn't consider six movies to be too optimistic in this case. I would rather them make a solid movie first and then make sequels if it warrants them though. The thing I worry about with these type of multi-picture deals usually result in too much setup for future installments that could be spent developing the plot of the movie we're in (stuff like the Spider-Man introduction in Civil War - while fun to watch - added nothing to the film's plot for example).

Comment

/ Milla.

Comment

http://www.darkhorizons.com/milla-jo...t-evil-reboot/

Just Milla's comments on the reboot. I always find it odd how Paul Anderson and her keep saying they are huge fans of the games, yet their movies only vaguely resemble them.

Comment

Originally posted by ronin_akikage View Post
              http://www.darkhorizons.com/milla-jo...t-evil-reboot/

Just Milla's comments on the reboot. I always find it odd how Paul Anderson and her keep saying they are huge fans of the games, yet their movies only vaguely resemble them.
              I think my brain just died a bit reading her comments.

Comment

I am curious as to how they will approach the new film. While I desperately want to see the original game adapted, I also know that many of the events in the game are cliche and its plot twist can be seen from a mile away. There's also the fact that the events took place 20 years ago, which wouldn't be a big deal, except that it leads to the destruction of an American city, and by Resident Evil 6, the attacks are global.

I am hoping that there is a middle ground. To see the original game adapted for current real-world conditions that highlights the themes and tone of what makes Resident Evil unique. What attracted millions of fans.
                Last edited by ronin_akikage; 05-27-2017, 05:03 AM.

Comment

For me a direct adaptation of one of the games would be boring. I've already played the game why would I want the same story in a different medium? I think it's much more important to capture the feel of Resident Evil than hit all of the plot beats of the game. I want new stories that feel like Resident Evil - maybe even set them in the game universe.

Comment

Originally posted by leftshoe18 View Post
                    For me a direct adaptation of one of the games would be boring. I've already played the game why would I want the same story in a different medium? I think it's much more important to capture the feel of Resident Evil than hit all of the plot beats of the game. I want new stories that feel like Resident Evil - maybe even set them in the game universe.
                    NO!

Comment

Maybe it's just because I've beaten every game in the series with the exception of 6 and 7 dozens of times but I just don't see what directly adapting one of the existing game stories to a film really does for anyone. I just don't see why I need a non-interactive version of Resident Evil 1 for example.

Edit: I mean if it's done well I'll probably enjoy it regardless but the whole time I'll just be thinking, "I could be playing this right now instead."
                      Last edited by leftshoe18; 05-30-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leftshoe18 View Post
                        I just don't see what directly adapting one of the existing game stories to a film really does for anyone. I just don't see why I need a non-interactive version of Resident Evil 1 for example.
                        Mortal Kombat the movie adapted the first video game rather well (more accurate than the first Resident Evil anyway). I still enjoy that movie. The is probably the best example of a movie that entertains and tells the game's story, but also stands on its own legs. It proves that you can adapt a game and make a movie that is descent. In the end, it will just come down to the script, actors, and action pieces. And by action, I don't mean the stuff we've been seeing across the last five movies.

Comment

Of course they would reboot the series. They'll never stop milking the name, which is so easy to do when nobody takes a more lenient approach. It's still RE to them, after all.

Comment

We want the script to romero.

Comment

I'd love to see Sam Raimi tackle a Resident Evil film. His blend of horror and cheese could perfectly capture that original trilogy tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X