No announcement yet.

New Resident Evil Movie Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll just stick to the CGI films. At least they are, A, canon, and, B, of the above average quality. Unlike the live action monstrosities that are dreadful.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpower View Post
      We want the script to romero.
      The draft that leaked to the internet is dreadful. It had great ideas, but Romero really used that first draft to just paint a wide picture of what he wanted to accomplish. Supposedly (I can't find the quote) but he once had an off comment that he did multiple drafts before he was fired. I think one of them he even reverted Chris back to being a member of S.T.A.R.S. I have always wanted to read the last draft he finished, to truly appreciate what he wanted to do.
      Current writing project: Resident Evil: Origins (screenplay)

Comment

Yeah he wanted Barry to be black too irc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail View Post
          I didn't mind the changes to characters. Romero was just being Romero, creating an interesting, diverse cast. I still think he was planning on using Ken Foree (Peter from the original Dawn of the Dead) as Barry. When I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, Ken Foree reminded me so much of Barry, which gave me the idea that maybe this was the route he was taking.

Also, he wrote his script with the concept of Corporations destroying small town America. Chris was rewritten as a civilian to be the audience's representation in the story. At all times, Chris rejects the military intervention, and his disgust for the experiments conducted in the labs under the mansion. Even the mansion (Chris' childhood play area) is perverted, with the basement turned into sub-flooring for the labs.

What I didn't like were the stereotypical soldiers and red shirts. There wasn't anything unique with them. And the forced use of so many monsters, it just felt like each scene was a new monster, rather than using a handful and having several scenes with each. There are a few great set pieces in the script, and a few surprises and nods to fans of the game, but overall it was just underwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by ronin_akikage View Post
            Also, he wrote his script with the concept of Corporations destroying small town America.
            ...aannndd this is why Romero wasn't a good fit for the role.

I'm a huge Romero fan myself, but politicising little details like this in the Bio/RE canon would have been a disaster on the big screen. Hell, it only barely worked with the first CGI film (Curtis Miller was kind of cringey AF, jus' saying).

And the forced use of so many monsters, it just felt like each scene was a new monster, rather than using a handful and having several scenes with each.
            ...aannndd another reason why.

Romero is a zombie guy, period. Case in point being that he had no idea how to handle that many bio-organic weapons within a single script. It's near-impossible to strike a perfect balance with that much going on, as Anderson realized this himself (for better or worse).

Uhm, okay. What the hell does that have to do with anything...?

Originally posted by leftshoe18 View Post
            For me a direct adaptation of one of the games would be boring.
            My older, wiser self would have to agree. The obvious problem arises when directors/producers tend to take too many creative liberties and completely bastardize an already self-sufficient intellectual property.
            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
              ...aannndd this is why Romero wasn't a good fit for the role.

I'm a huge Romero fan myself, but politicising little details like this in the Bio/RE canon would have been a disaster on the big screen. Hell, it only barely worked with the first CGI film (Curtis Miller was kind of cringey AF, jus' saying).
              I would argue that social commentary would be perfect for the Resident Evil series. I think it only enhances the experience, especially if it isn't so "on the nose" that audiences notice it right away. Take The Mist, for example. Great horror film, but also has social commentary.

I think he was using that as an example of one of the obvious changes that Romero did to the story. Over the 17 years or so since the script was leaked, I have seen that as an example to point out Romero not being faithful to the game. Personally, I liked the change. I liked the fact that he attempted to create a diverse group of soldiers... my only problem was the stereotypes, especially with Rosie Rodriguez.

Comment

I just don't argree with making changes to appeal to a larger audience, same reason I don't agree with the
                people pushing for James Bond to black or Doctor Who to be female.
                There's no reason more memorable roles can't be made for these demographics instead of changing things to suit or having them play the typical token characters, I mean what would of been wrong starting the film from Bravo teams perspective and fleshing out their time on screen before their eventual deaths
                , Kenneth and Forest aren't even given a line to speak like Richard or Enrico.
                Last edited by Mikhail; 06-08-2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Barry's ethnicity was not a central part of the character. He could've been black, white, Asian or anything in between and it wouldn't have mattered.

Comment

Barry's ethnicity was not a central part of the character. He could've been black, white, Asian or anything in between and it wouldn't have mattered.
                    Except he's a redneck woodchopper with a .44.

Comment

I would argue that social commentary would be perfect for the Resident Evil series. I think it only enhances the experience, especially if it isn't so "on the nose" that audiences notice it right away. Take The Mist, for example. Great horror film, but also has social commentary.
                      In today's political climate? I... dunno. It's a very thin line, these days, and smallest misstep would likely prove disastrous for box office sales. It's all about survival/horror/action. The moment someone throws their agenda into the mix, one side or another could scream "boycott" in a heartbeat and it could mean game over.

If they tackled the true humanitarian crisis without making it too ideological, perhaps. Even then, I... dunno.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Except he's a redneck woodchopper with a .44.
                      You've obviously never met any real rednecks bahahahaha

Some black folk in my area would have a bone to pick with you!

I just don't argree with making changes to appeal to a larger audience, same reason I don't agree with the
                      people pushing for James Bond to black or Doctor Who to be female.
                      There's no reason more memorable roles can't be made for these demographics instead of changing things to suit or having them play the typical token characters, I mean what would of been wrong starting the film from Bravo teams perspective and fleshing out their time on screen before their eventual deaths
                      , Kenneth and Forest aren't even given a line to speak like Richard or Enrico.
                      The only real demographic is simply an age-range of people/gamers who would want to see Resident Evil being played out on the big screen, nothing more. I hope that we can both agree that having black people fill the role of a token character who gets killed-off within the first few moments of an entertainment piece is a truly horrible tactic that must come to an end.

We can both certainly agree that there is a plethora of characters from this universe that was very poorly realized in Anderson's films, if even at all. That is something that I would like to see changed, as well.
                      I'm a blackstar.

Comment

You've obviously never met any real rednecks bahahahaha

The only real demographic is simply an age-range of people/gamers who would want to see Resident Evil being played out on the big screen, nothing more. I hope that we can both agree that having black people fill the role of a token character who gets killed-off within the first few moments of an entertainment piece is a truly horrible tactic that must come to an end.

We can both certainly agree that there is a plethora of characters from this universe that was very poorly realized in Anderson's films, if even at all. That is something that I would like to see changed, as well.
                        Well maybe not full on redneck but a mixture of both redneck and canadian, his phrases harking back to his redneck side.

Yep Anderson could of called the films Alice in Zombieland and nobody would of noticed,
                        I think he just likes seeing her naked in his films for some reason maybe she won't do sextapes for him.

Comment

I think he just likes seeing her naked in his films for some reason maybe she won't do sextapes for him.
                          From what I was reading last year, the newer versions of the first movie have the nudity cut. Just a few seconds worth. I am guessing he had a change of heart now that they are married and have children.

Comment

I'll go watch it and try to remain unbiased but I'm not very optimistic when it comes to Resident Evil movies. The CGI ones have been the only ones I could really enjoy to any extent.
                            sigpic
                            "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

I saw 10 minutes of Vendetta, and the intelligence of Chris' people is super bad even for a super bad CG film.

Comment

Vendetta is a step in the right direction, though. I actually jumped during a few things... but then again, I tend to fully immerse myself into whatever I am watching.

Comment

Working...
                                X