Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident Evil pre-rendered backgrounds in 4K

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Resident Evil pre-rendered backgrounds in 4K

    I can't believe that I even remembered my login information, as I haven't logged in the forums in probably close to 8 years, if not longer.

    I've still been around hanging out and reading all the great information that everyone has been sharing, though.

    I came across a gentlemen who has somehow remastered all of the pre-rendered backgrounds from Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3, as well as the FMV sequences.

    I was surprised that nobody else had posted this on the forum yet!

    I wonder how long until somebody inserts these high-resolution files into the PSX or PC version of the game!?

    Resident Evil 1 - https://youtu.be/uEFUtNGdkbA
    Resident Evil 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXSq3FU7DzE
    Resident Evil 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrnlckqppZ0

  • #2
    These are probably going to be integrated at some point with my Classic REbirth patches on PC, if I can get them to work through a custom DirectDraw to DirectX9 wrapper. Some backgrounds look nicely upscaled, way better than paint-like results with waifu2x, even tho it's still not exactly perfect. Could probably be improved a bit more if lossless sources are used (RE1 on Saturn has them, RE2 on PC/DC does as well, maybe RE3 on GC too).

    Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
    , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks awesome

      I hope he can do the same for REmake. Some of the backgrounds looked rough on the re-release

      Comment


      • #4
        These were done using AI upscaling, something I've experimented a couple years ago but with online services.

        Whilst these look impressive, the problem you'll have are the masks, there is a problem upscaling those as they don't upscale properly. You will have to go through every single scene and cut masks out then implement them...somehow.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's really cool, although this kind of automated upscale leaves a lot of paint daub type effects like you see on a Photoshop filter. I saw this recently, same guy:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Don Piano View Post
            Looks awesome

            I hope he can do the same for REmake. Some of the backgrounds looked rough on the re-release
            That's been done now.

            https://reupscaleproject.blogspot.co...me_31.html?m=1

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Undead Sega View Post
              These were done using AI upscaling, something I've experimented a couple years ago but with online services.

              Whilst these look impressive, the problem you'll have are the masks, there is a problem upscaling those as they don't upscale properly. You will have to go through every single scene and cut masks out then implement them...somehow.
              The best way to combat that issue is use a depth shader instead of masks. Just rebuild low poly versions of the assets the player walks behind and let the depth shader applied to those objects work it's magic. It wouldn't be hard to rebuild some of the assets and match them up accordingly based on boundary & camera data that can easily be imported into 3ds Max.
              Last edited by VirusPunk; 03-06-2019, 11:36 PM.
              My Unity Engine Channel

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by VirusPunk View Post
                The best way to combat that issue is use a depth shader instead of masks. Just rebuild low poly versions of the assets the player walks behind and let the depth shader applied to those objects work it's magic. It wouldn't be hard to rebuild some of the assets and match them up accordingly based on boundary & camera data that can easily be imported into 3ds Max.
                No.

                That's just unnecessarily long.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by geluda View Post
                  That guy stole my idea

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X