Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - Your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - Your thoughts?

Just wondering if anyone else here has bought the game and played it. Have you noticed anything different from the previous versions?

While playing through the Separate Ways scenario, I noticed that the models are using the high poly ones from the GCN / Wii version, which is really encouraging to see. I was initially told that it was just a straight port from the PS2 one, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. About the only thing I could tell was from the PS2 version was the sound Leon occasionally makes when being chased by Salvador. Its much lower quality compared to the other sounds in the game.

Theres also another thing I noticed, when I played through Assignment Ada. After the credits scroll, it asks you if you want to watch them again. When I clicked yes, it showed me a lower resolution video which had the same content except it wasn't de-saturated looking like the full size video. Has anyone else noticed that?

As for my progress on the game, I just finished Professional mode, and cleaned up Assignment Ada. I'm starting on Separate Ways now to unlock more goodies. I'll probably hit Separate Ways again, just to grab the Chicago Typewriter in it. Does anyone know if you can select alternate costumes for Ada in Separate Ways?
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 03-19-2008, 10:18 PM.

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
    Theres also another thing I noticed, when I played through Assignment Ada. After the credits scroll, it asks you if you want to watch them again. When I clicked yes, it showed me a lower resolution video which had the same content except it wasn't de-saturated looking like the full size video. Has anyone else noticed that?
    Yes, i noticed, i played the Assignment Ada GC version and the Wii version a thousand times!!! (love ada) also, when you say you want to watch it again the theme(music) it's different!!

As for my progress on the game, I just finished Professional mode, and cleaned up Assignment Ada. I'm starting on Separate Ways now to unlock more goodies. I'll probably hit Separate Ways again, just to grab the Chicago Typewriter in it. Does anyone know if you can select alternate costumes for Ada in Separate Ways?
    No you can't use alternate costumes in Separate Ways or Assignment Ada (unless you use actionreplay)

Edit: just showing off, i played the Main Story 8 times, the Assignment Ada 7 times, and Separate Ways 12 times!!!!
    Last edited by RE-Hiro; 03-20-2008, 12:13 AM.

Comment

We got the Wii Edition and it's better than the NGC version imo. I love the new controls, but a downside is the lowered difficulty. Maybe Action Replay Wii can change that!

Comment

Lowered difficulty? You mean its easier with the Wiimote, right?

Comment

Maybe all you know!
          in the Mercenaries,you can play leon,ada with the difficult clothes!

Comment

im not sure about the wii controls, i still prefer playing the game with a normal pad.

Comment

I was the same way for my first run through nemesis. I used the wavebird the whole way through and for my professional run I used the wiimote. The biggest hurdle is finding a comfortable way to use the wiimote. Once you do that though it works wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis_lover View Post
                im not sure about the wii controls, i still prefer playing the game with a normal pad.
                Are you Nuts?? RE4 with Wiimote Rules!!! hahaha

I think the wiimote it's better, it make it more entertaining, plus, because it's not so hard, anyone can play it (that means more of my friends playing it, or better said me recruiting more RE fans!!! haha)
                Last edited by RE-Hiro; 03-20-2008, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I think the Wii version is way easier than the NGC version simply because of the control revamp and Wiimote. Still a great game though.

Comment

I'm in the anti-Wiimote camp... The graphical upgrade is appealing but the game still looks pretty good in widescreen on ps2. I'm very comfortable using the standard controller (ps2 or GC) but I read you reported some problems with using the GC controller on the Wii version.
                    Aswell as the very unappealing Wiimote, I think I read that the red laser site is gone, replaced with a cross-hair that you move around the screen. I thought that moving the laser beam across the screen and seeing it hit things of various distances, was a really unique and magical part of the gameplay. I'd hate to see it gone.
                    I had no problems with the difficulty. The game has its tricky parts but I never found it frustratingly hard. Again, I'm very happy using a control pad and certainly don't need an 'easier method'.

Comment

On the subject of graphics, Its not really just that. The sound quality is severely lacking in certain sounds on the PS2 version. That subjects been beaten to death though, so I'll skip it. I only had control issues with the Gamecube controller during the first Gigante fight. For some reason I had no problems fighting the other ones in the game. As for the crosshair, you still get the indication when something can be hit. Your crosshair is grey when walking around, green when aiming, and red when you have it over something you can shoot.

Having played the game with a standard controller as well as the wiimote, the wiimote is clearly superior. The game is made slightly easier, but its a lot more fun to play and a much more enjoyable experience.

I found it kinda neat how Ada is reading the Incubate book while in Bitore's house. Sort of brings it all together, since the book is written in a first person form, it would make sense that it exists somewhere in the village.
                      Last edited by Dot50Cal; 03-21-2008, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I found it kinda neat how Ada is reading the Incubate book while in Bitore's house. Sort of brings it all together, since the book is written in a first person form, it would make sense that it exists somewhere in the village.
                        Oh, i've never noticed that!!!!! i thought it was just a randoom book!!!
                        Last edited by RE-Hiro; 03-21-2008, 09:36 AM.

Comment

It's like this Dot.

1) Wii Version is a direct NGC port w/ PS2 extras.
                          2) Movie Viewer uses the PS2 movie files. I can see pixelazation on our TV.
                          3) Separate Ways uses PS2 model for Ada. Look at her hands.

Another way you can tell that this game isn't a PS2 port is looking at Leon's hair. In the PS2 version, his hair at the back of his head doesn't sway. In the Wii/NGC ones, it does. Graphics between Wii/NGC version are the exact same.

Comment

Any other gameplay differences noticed? Like:
                            At the start of chapter 2 when Leon wakes up tied up with that other guy, there's that little shack across the level with an old guy standing on it throwing dynamite at you. There's another ladder going up and at the top you get another enemy if it's gamecube or nothing if it's PS2.
                            In the area just before you climb the ladder to get into the building where you encounter the village chief movie and end the chapter, there's a guy in the room where the fish are in the water. In the gamecube version he's not there, probably because he comes after you while you're trying to get across that tiny area where there's 2 guys throwing dynamite at you while you're shooting the bear traps, I don't know. In the PS2 version, he's always there just standing.

Comment

Funny, I just started playing the game again on the Wii last weekend. What exactly do you mean by the Wii version is easier? Is this because of the Wiimote controls or was the game toned down for the Wii? Its been a while since I played the GC version so I can't put together a comparison. I'm thinking of working through the game with Leon's RPD uniform on professional. Never got around to finishing professional mode on the GC but this "easier" thing has got me thinking I should go back to the GC version for professinal mode.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic:

Anyone here play RE4 on the PC? I have been thinking of getting it. I downloaded a few mods for the game like Hi-Res movies and Hi-Res Leon but I'm still debating the purchase.
                              Last edited by alf717; 03-21-2008, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X