One thing in RE4 that bothered me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing in RE4 that bothered me...

Throughout my many hours of play in RE4, I came across something in the story that, not bothered me, but I disliked. This also has to do with my love for more hardcore Resident Evil gameplay, like the camera angles n stuff but w/e.

In past titles, you've had to always backtrack to past locations to get to new places, such as with keys or new items, especially in RE1. In RE4, it seems too straightforward. As long as you can shoot and walk forward, the game isnt too much of a puzzle. Sure, you've got your moments, like that 3 piece goat thing in the castle, and the knight puzzle as Ashley. You even visit the opening village 3 or 4 times. The point being that, it just isnt a puzzle. Shoot, walk, your done in no time.

Anybody else feel this way? Agree? Disagree? Whats your imput?
    P.S. Resident Evil = Everything Awsome

I only thought the slider puzzle Ashley had to do was a bit difficult, because I suck at sliders. Everything else was easy. All the other games had puzzles that really made you think, and of course, when you're playing them when you're young, they are really hard. 10 years ago RE games required some thinking skills.
    sigpic
    Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

that water sample in r.e 3 10 years ago was a pain :S
      But i get what you mean about r.e 4 but I guess the new gameplay was all to do with more action etc, so they cut down on puzzles and what not. Also you've gotta remember you had to backtrack to get ashley from that church with the key.

Comment

Yeah, hated the water sample puzzle. Took me about half and hour to figure out the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis_lover View Post
          that water sample in r.e 3 10 years ago was a pain :S
          But i get what you mean about r.e 4 but I guess the new gameplay was all to do with more action etc, so they cut down on puzzles and what not. Also you've gotta remember you had to backtrack to get ashley from that church with the key.
          Water sample puzzle was a bundle of freakin' joy. Backtracking wasn't too bad in RE4. In all the other games, ammo and health were scarce. I remember throwing away ammo and grenades on occasions to make room for health items or new guns. Seriously though. Leon was weighted in 4. My biggest problem with Ashley was accidently shooting her when I was trying to save her when she was slung over one of their backs. That, or she'd get blown up.
          sigpic
          Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Yeah, the game was very linerar compared to the other RE's, where you usually had at least a few choices on where to go and which order to do the puzzles in. And compared to some of the RE's the puzzles for RE4 were barely there. I know none of them took me more than two or three minutes to beat. Most of the game was shoot crap and grab a key.

Comment

It is all because of the gameplay that is more action based and the game's atmosphere, the way you play it. There are actualy many backtracks you just dont feel them, and yes the game is more linear, but you can still visit most of the old locations in search of treasures and escape most fights with enemys and sometimes even bosses just like in previous RE (most people just forget about it).
              "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

That being able to escape bosses (or at least bigger enemies) in 4 was part of the drawback for me. There was a thrill of taking on a hoarde of zombies and BOWs while struggling to keep enough spots in your inventory for weapons, ammo, health, and the key items you needed in the previous games. I remember my first time play CV I had about 4 shots, I was in the critical, and I couldn't figure out where to go. I had Claire's ass limping all around the island looking for anything to help, meanwhile trying to dodge the bandersnatches and zombies. Beating a game when you struggle to stay alive is awesome. Beating a game with about seventeen health sprays and a pack full of ammo, a rocket launcher, and every major gun really doesn't make me feel so accomplished. That is just me of course. I still love 4 but from a different standing.
                sigpic
                Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

That being able to escape bosses (or at least bigger enemies) in 4 was part of the drawback for me. There was a thrill of taking on a hoarde of zombies and BOWs while struggling to keep enough spots in your inventory for weapons, ammo, health, and the key items you needed in the previous games. I remember my first time play CV I had about 4 shots, I was in the critical, and I couldn't figure out where to go. I had Claire's ass limping all around the island looking for anything to help, meanwhile trying to dodge the bandersnatches and zombies. Beating a game when you struggle to stay alive is awesome. Beating a game with about seventeen health sprays and a pack full of ammo, a rocket launcher, and every major gun really doesn't make me feel so accomplished. That is just me of course. I still love 4 but from a different standing.
                  ^ I completely agree.
                  Last edited by Project Omega; 06-04-2008, 04:45 PM. Reason: JIC

Comment

Well, true in the above first written statement. RE4 is its own game though, it doesnt follow the traditional resident evil style, but it does let you explore more elements and environments with out trapping you in a hallway with 20 zombies... though it is different from the other series, I like them all the same except the Oubreak Series, it felt like I was playing silent hill on crack. " I love silent hill though "
                    Last edited by Stars_g36; 06-04-2008, 05:39 PM.

Comment

RE4 has its own pros and cons, as do previous resident evil titles. In my opinion, RE4 is amazing, just one of those things that I noticed.

Comment

i do agree that it wsnt much of a puzzle challenge but it should make you trace back and let you visit old places agein with more guys to just shoot up

Comment

what was there to visit??? it did not allow to go further back behind the bridge, and I personally like moving forward through a game, not backwards, though back tracking is something Resident evil has always done well, and technically you do back track a couple of times.

Comment

Well I know this is a huge issue so I wont even bring it up past this, only because I though this was funny...someone posted in response to the comments of you know what reguarding RE4 and RE5...

WHAT ABOUT THE LUMBERJACKS, THE TRUE VICTIMS!? They aren't all burlap sack masked chainsaw wielding psychos!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                              Beating a game with about seventeen health sprays and a pack full of ammo, a rocket launcher, and every major gun really doesn't make me feel so accomplished.
                              That's the case in alot of games, and it ruins the tension, especially in adventure or horror games. Tomb Raider 2 comes to mind... I ended up with shitloads of ammo and medkits after killing Bartoli/the dragon... *thought* is this it?!*

Comment

Working...
                              X