X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the state of RE

my opinions on the new stuff for resident evil is simply this

i dont care i love resident evil period

anyways i think that all this new stuff could have something to do with the original plot but the problem is they have only gone two games off topic so far, and i dont understand why people want to get upset. maybe its something that supposed to go with everything else later on and maybe whesker is collecting all these sample to combine (highly unlikely) maybe they all have some kind of ancestrial background (im fully aware of the t-virus being formed from injecting leach dna into whutever other virus marcus found) idk

let the games play out by ear

im also fully aware that some people are set in their ways and dont want to think this way im just trying to be optimistic here .....

(re reads paragraph) damn i didnt get to my point .... ok go ahead and poste
    Last edited by Itashious_boy; 06-19-2008, 12:00 AM.
    sigpic

well said

Comment

well said what?
      sigpic

Comment

just what you said was good

Comment

oh thanks ive been keeping that in since i read the first hate mailf for RE4 and RE5 and RE4 is what got me started in the first place for loving RE period
          Last edited by Itashious_boy; 06-19-2008, 12:12 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

aww cool, im not a personal fan of RE4 but we all have different tastes

Comment

yea im gettin way more into the originals cause i just love the plot, but i always go back to play RE4 for ideas for my AMV's and the thrill of the graphics XD
              sigpic

Comment

yeah the graphics where really cool, but then again the graphics where cool in the originals at the time

Comment

I have loved the games since the very first one came out all those years ago. I doubt there will be a time I will ever not love the series. Even if I don't like the changes Capcom is making, I understand why the changes are necessary. Times are changing and the way video games are made are changing as well. "Old fans" that don't like the change don't have to like it, but in order for something to survive and sell well, it has to be able to adjust.

Do I miss the old style of the games? Yes and no. It's a mixed bag. On one hand I miss the zombies and such, but on the other, if you kept something the same it would get too predictable and boring. I loved RE4 because of the new controls and nice graphics, but I disliked the fact that the "horror" aspect didn't seem to come into play much. Like most people, the only part that made me jump was the oven man. It wasn't like playing the very first RE and having the hunters suddenly replace zombies, and the chimeras and such coming at you from weird angles. Despite the change, I like the series because. Plain and simple.
                  Last edited by Bertha; 06-19-2008, 12:36 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

yep me 2

Comment

This isn't a topic you really want to get into.

We all have valid reasons to why those of us who don't like the newer BH games, esp. BH4. Not all of us have a blind conviction like you seem to have and others that seem to feel that as long as it is called Biohazard/Resident Evil that it is good and lovable (as you yourself put it "i dont care i love resident evil period"). Those who have more well-thought out defenses to their pro-BH4+ stance like BLSR1 at least can provide their reasoning. While I don't share his good feelings for BH4, I do think his reasons for it are fine.

It all depends really on what you are looking for in the games. If you're just looking at Biohazard for a horror/action genre, you'll do fine. For me, Biohazard series represented a zombie genre, and my favorite and expected type of zombie is the slow, shambly type with very little to no intelligence. It's roots were a simple B-movie style zombie horror. As the series progressed it added more action elements and slowly moved away from it but still retained mostly the same. A lot of people don't like that, and I can understand. That in itself is partially a reason why I think the direction was done wrong. So basically, I'm unhappy that because of the new-age gamers, fast-paced action/horror standards, greed of Capcom, and the stalingness of the formula in the eyes of many fans caused the series to rapidly transform in 1 game into something that wasn't what I liked anymore.

As I said, the fact is I can understand why many fans welcomed the change and are happy with the differences by simply making broad connections between the new and old. I just feel it should never have gotten to that point. I don't feel it's right to just be happy with any decision made because I'm a fan of the series. While I do agree that enjoying a game is what a game is meant to do and its most important aspect, I also believe in expectation, respectable lifespan, and such. The Biohazard games never should have gone beyond 2 or 3 games. They took a simple, basic B-movie concept and storyline and worked so hard to milk it they've given it a ton of complications, plot holes, and sourness. Bringing Wesker back was not something I liked, they empowered Umbrella way too much and then suddenly destroyed them because they took too damn long to get there. Now we have tons of viruses, a super villain, characters that are beefing up and creating gameplay issues that are dumb and prettying up the females (I don't want to see Ada in another red dress in the middle of a mission again, esp. one that doesn't involve fitting in with a normal society, nor do I want to see the characters doing butterfly/cartwheel kicks or front flipping out of windows, ect). I could go on and on really. Some people may like that stuff. I just simply don't--or at least, not in a Biohazard game.

Letting the games play out by ear just isn't a good thing, in my opinion. It's obvious Capcom had no planning for this series. They might have had a couple things in mind, but they are winging this stuff. They spent too long and milked it too much. The fact they had to make such radical changes to gameplay and design shows that. Over 12 years later, where are we? Six "main games" (1, 2, 3, CV, 4, 0) and what do we have? The names of like over a half-dozen viruses, a parasite strain (maybe 2 with BH5 coming), missing characters, Umbrella 'destroyed' that we didn't take part in, at least two other un-named/unknown factions vying for BOW power. Basically we are nowhere special. Consider this: BH1 we have no idea what's going on, we run around in a mansion full of zombies and eventually other monsters, Wesker betrays the team, we find out Umbrella is behind these experiments, blow up the mansion. Cool. BH2 we are in RC which is overrun b/c of the lab beneath the city, more info about Umbrella is given, the vow to destroy Umbrella has been made clear since Umbrella was given more of a substance and power than was originally thought. BH3 we are -still- in RC as we have a game that basically just introduces a new virus and the nemesis parasite and follows Jill getting out of the city. Once again, the promise to see Umbrella's demise. BHCV we finally see someone attack an Umbrella HQ... by herself (assumed) and gets taken to a prison on a damn island. Destroy the island, a new virus, Wesker is alive yay super-human egotistical stereotype 'badass' villain, blah blah. Again, the vow to destroy Umbrella. BH0 takes us back in time to pre-mansion. Talks a little about origins, blah blah, we are still nowhere. BH4 WOW Umbrella was destroyed already, wtf? Leon is now trained, Ada still wears her a sexy dress (in this case for no reason) and of course just happen to meet, a parasite is introduced, blah blah. BH UC non-canon playthrough, Chris and Jill destroy another remote facility, Wesker gets more toys, blah blah. We're nowhere special. It's not well designed to be playing this kind of a documentary game to explain 1 thing and introduce 2 new things that don't matter much. Who cares where the origin of the viruses came from enough to play an entire game about it? Ok, maybe some would. But really, this is just too much. In my opinion, you can't end the series anymore. Originally, if they had left Umbrella as not quite as large a company as they made it to be, not introduced a half dozen viruses, left Wesker dead, and just carefully planned out and made BH3 or 4 be the game we play to end Umbrella once and for all and moved on, it would have been more respectable.

Basically as I said, it boils down to what you want and are looking for. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to like it all. I've accepted Capcom's gonna do what they want and more power to them as a business making money. I've got nothing against the fans who like BH4 and the new design. Who knows, maybe BH5 will redeem the series depending on how they do the story and such.
                      sigpic

Comment

Whoa, wall of text, Alzaire! I didn't get past the first 2 lines

Also, I love all the RE games. I find it hard to hate any game, unless it's a really shitty port or a carelessly made game.

Comment

Alzaire said pretty much what I think, although was perhaps somewhat more harsh in his opinions on the lenght of the storyline than I would be.

The way I see it is this: Look at Mario. The series has changed and evolved over the years hugely...but at the end of the day it's still Mario. You're still a short arse plumber jumping on enemies to rescue a princess, and that's what Mario is.

Now, if you released a Mario where Mario was a Private Eye, hunting through a noir-like universe to find out who abducted the Priness...well, that ain't Mario.

Resident Evil 4 is a good game. I own both the GameCube and Wii versions. But it's not a good Resident Evil. It's main plot hits RE only by implication. Change the title of the game and Leon and Ada's names and it could be a different series entirely. The game also changes the mechanics heavily, and removes the exploration, puzzle and horror elements.

In other words a Mario game without dodgy red plumbers, princesses and angry turtles and instead played with an armoured Cyborg who likes to tear the arms off people.

Comment

Ah here we go again, why do l hate RE4. Well nomatter what you can say I like all of the RE games, (and Yes I'am the RE hardcore fan and I play it sinse 2001, so I dint start RE series from RE4) why, because I am an optimist. There are always a lot of good things in any RE game, so I'am payig my atention to them and not to the bad. So take it easy and just enjoy the games, thats why are they made for (espesualy knowing the fact that Classic RE gameplay will never be back). Dont take it to serious.
                            Last edited by Nomad9026; 06-19-2008, 06:14 AM.
                            "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

When you lose your objectivity, you are a zombie.

I like RE4. I think it's a good game. It's no where near the best RE game, but I found it to be enjoyable enough to play though a few times. I *HAVEN'T* played UC yet, but I'm not really looking forward to it, simply because it ups the action to levels I'll find too far over the top. I recognise the need for change, and I don't really lament the death of the old formula, because we still have the games to play. The story hasn't had much planning. The only sequel that I can see LOGICALLY follows on (in terms of where to take the story, not in terms of chronology) is RE2, the rest seem really ad-hoc. And now with all the plot holes and new viruses introduced, it's all starting to get a bit much.

Like Alzaire (great comments BTW, I nearly agree with it 100%), I also respect "expectation, respectable lifespan, and such". TV shows or movies (This is Spinal Tap. The Office (UK), Extras are some examples) that don't sacrifice their artistic integrity for the dollar (*ahem* The Matrix *cough cough*). They don't milk it to the ground. They leave that task finished where they had originally envisioned.

However, this is Resident Evil, and when there are people that say "i dont care i love resident evil period", can you really blame Capcom?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X