Biohazard 0 - Wii version - "impressions"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biohazard 0 - Wii version - "impressions"

I received my copy of Biohazard 0 (Resident Evil Zero) on the Wii today and popped it in just to check it out. As I'm very busy these days and I've played the game probably over 20 times on the GC, I'm still on the train. Capcom never promised anything other than a straight port that would use the Wii controls, and well, they delivered on that promise.

The Wii version is the just about the exact same game as the GameCube version. Capcom has added no new game modes, difficulty modes or story additions. Capcom has apparently done nothing to adjust the game for widescreen TVs (borders on the sides of my HDTV), and the CG scenes and audio have not been improved to take advantage of the Wii's increased storage space over GC mini discs.

Still, as a game, it's classic RE. RE0's one of the more problematic games in the series in terms of perception, and the Wii of course changes nothing about that. The visuals are beginning to look slightly dated in the wake of the games we get on the PS3/360/PC, but they're actually superior to most Wii games, even after nearly 6 years.

The only new thing of slight interest are the Wii remote controls. But, there is no waggle like what was added with the definitive RE4 Wii Edition. The game literally plays out exactly as it did on the GameCube, although we now have proof that traditional RE controls function perfectly on the Wii remote/nunchuck combination. Capcom hasn't changed the (in some circles) disliked movement controls at all.

The control set-up:

Walk: Move the nunchuck control stick (Wii remote D-Pad for partner character)
    Run: Move the nunchuck control stick while holding Z (Wii remote D-Pad for partner character)
    Aim Weapon: Hold B and Press A
    Confirm Button: A
    Cancel Button: B
    1: Map
    2: Mobilize or Rest Partner Character
    --: Switch Character (A setting), Menu (B setting)
    +: Menu (A setting), Switch Character (B setting)

The classic controller can be used as well. It's a blessing for those who prefer to play traditional RE with a D-Pad.

Conclusion
    I honestly can't see why Capcom bothered, since it was originally a GC game and therefore backwards compatible. The age of RE0 when it hit the Wii is actually greater than RE2 was when it hit the GameCube in 2003. My only guess is that even with the capability, full blown Wii products still get more attention from Wii owners, and GC memory cards are in pretty low supply these days. That, and/or Capcom's prepping up Wii owners for the future. Still, even my desire to play through the port all the way is pretty low, but I'll get it done.
    Last edited by cvxfreak; 07-10-2008, 04:23 AM.

It's a blessing for those who prefer to play traditional RE with a D-Pad.
    That's me. I still can't play most of them with a stick (only Outbreak)

The age of RE0 when it hit the Wii is actually greater than RE2 was when it hit the GameCube in 2003
    Wow, don't I feel old now? .

Thanks for posting these impression, I was unsure if I'd bother. Safe to say I definately won't now. E-capcom has no bonuses for ordering or anything, or any new merchandise to celebrate. Have you seen any new guidebooks published for the new release? I'll be Saturday before I'm able to check. Hopefully there is one with some nice new art in it
    sigpic

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the first hand info...and the confirming that, with my CG controllers and memory card living in the Wii there is absoloutely no reason to ever get this port even if it shows up over here.

Comment

Apparently there is no widescreen support. Sort of expected though. I thought they might just crop, but that would be disastrous. So thus far the only advantage it has is that it will run in progressive mode without the errors you get when forcing the Gamecube version to do so.

Comment

I'd still buy it, just for the sake of the controls. I know its not a strong reason for buying it but meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
              Thanks for the first hand info...and the confirming that, with my CG controllers and memory card living in the Wii there is absoloutely no reason to ever get this port even if it shows up over here.
              Same here. Its seems stupid that they ported this game but I guess they think they could make money so why not.

Comment

i am already buy this game and i play with freeloader i dont understand anyting but is cool

Comment

Working...
                X