Resident Evil 1.5 creator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 1.5 creator?

A rather simple (or complex?) question of mine. Who was the designer/director/Chief producer of Resident Evil 1.5? Was it Shinji Mikami? I checked Wikipedia and it says the designer of Resident Evil (ie. the first one) was Shinji Mikami. The article on Resident Evil 2 lists the designer and director as being Hideki Kamiya. And it lists Kazuhiro Aoyama as director and creator of Resident Evil 3. Hiroki Katoh for Code Veronica, Jun Takeuchi for Resident Evil 5 and so forth. I was just wondering who the creator/director/chief producer or whatever of Resident Evil 1.5 was? Before it was canned and replaced by the final, released form of Resident Evil 2.
    Last edited by Biocore; 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Mikami was in charge of 1.5. Kamiya took over as the main director for retail BH2, but Mikami was still involved I believe.
    sigpic

Comment

This character named Colvin over on the Bioflames forums is apparently confused. He says Hiroyuki Kobayashi was in charge of 1.5

Quoting Colvin

"He was the director of RE2 (all versions including 1.5) , RE4 (all versions including DMC) and if memory serves, Dead Aim or Heros Never Die."

Source of quote

Comment

There was no one person of course for all the duties listed, but Mikami was the game's producer from day one (including 1.5), while Kamiya directed it. That's not to say that he didn't have any saying in the direction of the game, since Kamiya is first and foremost an action fan.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that all latter directors (Kamiya, Aoyama, Kato and Oda) were designers/system planners for the original RE. Jun Takeuchi was the character designer and animator (one of few) for RE1, and he worked on RE2 and 3's animations until he was given Onimusha to direct. He produced Onimusha 3 too (while helping with animations) .

Kobayashi worked on the first two games, including the original Dino Crisis as a programmer (IIRC, he was the lead in the 2nd game). He planned DC1 as well. After that, he did nothing but produce games (DC2, all versions of RE4/DMC, RE CV, REmake, DMC4, PN 03 to date).

EDIT:

A game can have multiple producers at times, and RE2 was basically the holy grail of Capcom's sequels after SFII. So Keiji Inafune was assigned as the game's promotional producer.

All R&D Studio 3 RE games, including the GS series were produced by Tatsuya Minami. He's currently head of Platinum Games (wasn't part of Clover, but left Capcom regardless)
        Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X