Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese speakers out there, is Africa mentioned in RECV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese speakers out there, is Africa mentioned in RECV?

I know the RE5 development team have stated that Africa being the source of the progenitor virus was mentioned in Code: Veronica, but I simply can't remember this being mentioned anywhere in the western version of the game. The only mention I can remember is when Ashford and Spencer found progenitor, not where.

My question is if Africa may have been mentioned only in the Japanese files and simply lost in translation for the English files? Would be nice to actually know what the devs are referring to.

I think they were reffering to Wesker's report that came with earlier version of CVX!

Comment

I checked for the word アフリカ (Africa) in the CODE Veronica files transcribed in Biohazard archvies. It's not in there.

I played Biohazard CODE: Veronica for the RPD Dispatch episode 4 about 1 month ago. All the cutscenes are the same as the western release, so it's not mentioned in-game.
      sigpic

Comment

They have to be talking about Wesker's Report

Comment

I agree. The only place I can think about it being talked about was in Wesker's Report.

Was it mentioned at all in Zero, btw?

Comment

I don't remember Wesker's report ever mentioning Africa at all...
            On the other hand, didn't CVX mention that the Queen Ant was found in Africa?

Comment

I don't remember Wesker's Report mentioning anything about Africa.

I remember them mentioning Africa in WR2, but I only remember him talking about Ebola, not sure about Progenitor.

Comment

Yeah, WR2 mentions Ebola being discovered in Africa, but then again all I've read of WR2 are fanmade translations. But still, WR2 came with the RE: Remake buildup, not RECV.

TheSelfishGene, thanks for checking. Feels like it would most likely be mentioned in Alexander's memo if anywhere, unless ofcourse it's mentioned in-game while inspecting a painting/statue or something, and I doubt anyone is gonna check if that is the case

Strange, though, that noone knows what the hell the RE5 devs are talking about. And I listened to that podcast a few weeks ago. Was a good listen, so keep em coming Although I loved RECV back in the day so it was hard to listen to four guys all saying how shit it was

Comment

Originally posted by Sina View Post
                  all I've read of WR2 are fanmade translations.
                  It was offered from www.residentevil.com for a while. They had a 3D map of the spencer estate, and you could enlarge certain rooms, and some would have videos of the monsters and things, and others character bios. Anyways in the library room on the 2F was Wesker's report 2.
                  (Surely I'm not the only one who remembers the site).
                  Anyways, they had it in flash and in a PDF. I took a screenshot of each of the flash pages, and put them in a power point slide show. But I'm having trouble attaching the files here. I'll do it in the morning and update this post.

TheSelfishGene, thanks for checking. Feels like it would most likely be mentioned in Alexander's memo if anywhere, unless ofcourse it's mentioned in-game while inspecting a painting/statue or something, and I doubt anyone is gonna check if that is the case
                  It actually came up a few weeks ago, so I checked. No one will check the in game backgrounds. I think it was a genuine mistake on behalf of the production team.

I listened to that podcast a few weeks ago. Was a good listen, so keep em coming
                  We finished recording another one earlier today. It should be up soon
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                    It was offered from www.residentevil.com for a while. They had a 3D map of the spencer estate, and you could enlarge certain rooms, and some would have videos of the monsters and things, and others character bios. Anyways in the library room on the 2F was Wesker's report 2.
                    (Surely I'm not the only one who remembers the site).
                    Anyways, they had it in flash and in a PDF. I took a screenshot of each of the flash pages, and put them in a power point slide show. But I'm having trouble attaching the files here. I'll do it in the morning and update this post.
                    Cheers would be nice to see a proper translation of it. Compaired to WR1, WR2 actually looked like they put some thought into it. Wish I had seen that site, but the RE4 storyline announcement/Umbrella Chronicles kind of put me off all things Resident Evil up until now.

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                    It actually came up a few weeks ago, so I checked. No one will check the in game backgrounds. I think it was a genuine mistake on behalf of the production team.
                    Africa being the source could be some bit of backstory they thought up when writing RECV that they just overlooked adding to the actual game, but something that survived in the original devs consciousness? Just like Trevor's diaries, it would be strange if they didn't write a backstory even if it wasn't intended to be used directly in the game. I'm sure a few people on the production staff through the series have come up with a fair few ideas of where and how the virus originated, so my guess is that they've decided on some archived RECV Ashford/Spencer backstory lore to build on, even if it wasn't ever in a game.

It's not really a plothole so not a big deal, but it would be interesting to know where they got it from.

And podcast will be interesting since I've never seen and don't intend to see any of the Resident Evil live action movies, so will be fun to hear what they're all about.

Comment

OFFICIAL PDF Version

Screenshots of the OFFICIAL flash version. I made the 'title screens' between each segment. Just ignore the slide at the end. It was to wind up my brother, and I can't find a way to get rid of it.

There ARE slight differences between the text of the two.
                      sigpic

Comment

wel Dead Aim, and RE0 showed some signs of Africa so, i guess those could be used as a legit source for the location of Africa. though Dead Aim may not be considered cannon.

Comment

I think what it comes down to is the RE5 development team does not know what they are talking about because in June issue of Game Informer they said they choose Africa because they wanted to use the place where humankind was born. Since it is never mentioned where the progenitor virus was found, I guess it will be Africa.

Comment

Working...
                          X