Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you think of Umbrella Chronicles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you think of Umbrella Chronicles?

When Umbrella Chronicles was first announced, I was really looking forward to it. I thought it was going to be awesome, because you could play each chapter, RE0, RE1, RE2, RE3, RECV, RE4. Then, when I found out that RE2 wasn't going to be in it, I was disappointed. It didn't bother me too much that RECV and RE4 wasn't going to be in it. Then, when I found out that RE3 scenario was recycled Outbreak areas, I was disappointed even more. Then when I saw how pathetic the Nemesis was, another disappointment. Then when you fought the Nemesis in his second form on top of the Police Station, another disappointment. Takes away everything that you did in RE3. Then, when I saw the laser-room from the movie, and the matrix slow-motion, another disappointment. And then, when I saw that they didn't even bother to put any effort in for the RE3/Hunk mini-games, they simply used everything from Outbreak there (it was even the wrong side of the Police Station that Jill and Carlos were in), it just showed that Capcom was lazy there.

So, when UC was first announced, and we saw the very first walkthrough footage of the mansion, I was super-excited, but over time, my excitement diminished. I still wound up buying the game later on, but I only played it a few times, and I still haven't completed the game. Just wasn't that fun.

And the enemy placement was horrible. Capcom could have done a lot better. Hunters were not in the Police Station. There were supposed to be Lickers, which again I'm sure they were too lazy to include.
    My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
    ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

I didn't go in with high expectations so I wasn't really disappointed, but I wouldn't list it as one of the best games I've played in recent years. It was nice seeing Jill in a new scenario though.

Comment

Well, I am disappointed too, but what could we expect from a game wich only goal was to 'test' the capabilities and sales market for a RE tittle on the Wii? It prove that there was market -obviously- and therefore we had 3 ports. Probably, Capcom will make another original RE game for the Wii, maybe when Nintendo updates the system with better... well, when they improve everything of it.

The only thing that I take as canon on RE UC are the things we didn't know, all the other stuff, as gameplay, retcon of RE3, ans such can go right to the trash can.
      Last edited by Ridley W. Hayes; 12-10-2008, 07:53 AM.

Comment

The only level from the other games that I enjoyed was Hunk's, mainly because it didn't take away or change anything from his original story. The newer levels I found to be interesting and moderately fun to explore/play through, but I think the game lacked a great deal.
        sigpic
        Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

I can go on a whole nonsensical rant about how much Umbrella Chronicles pissed me off. But I'm tired. So quick summary:

- With the exception of the RE Zero chapter, bullshit second scenarios (especially the RE3 chapter)
          - Removal of what made RE1 and RE3 interesting
          - Having the files contradict what you see in the game.
          - A lot of things with the Umbrella's end scenario

Comment

Dumbed down for the new generation of fans brought about by RE4, the kind of people who would never have the patience to sit through the original titles and instead needed to be spoon-fed the backstory via a media-friendly soundbyte. Like watching the Lord of the Rings, instead of reading the books and absorbing more information. Two very different forms of media, but I think the comparison applies well here.

"Oh, those are boring! I don't want to play through ALL of that, but I still want to know the story!"

"Don't worry, kids! Here's Umbrella Chronicles, it should provide you with a succinct generalisation of the entire story to date, summed up in a single game! Perfect for those "fans" of the series (RE4), who don't have the mentality to play through the original games. Plus, it's a lightgun shooter! Pew! Pew! Bang! Bang!"

"Succinct? What does that mean?"

"It's got Wesker in it."

"WOO-HOO!"

In short:

- Almost a fanfic-esque novelisation of the entire series.
            - Poor scenarios, except for Umbrella's End and Nightmare. I felt they contributed to the canon.
            - Sergei. Everybody loves Sergei.
            - More Wesker fanwankery for fangirl pissweasels to caress their inner regions over.
            - Terrible voice acting, featuring voice actors from Naruto. Yes. NARUTO.
            - No Nicholai? The Jill fans are up to no good, me thinks.
            - ???
            - PROFIT!
            Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 12-10-2008, 02:41 AM.
            See you in hell.

Comment

Well, when I first heard of it, I thought it was a version of the older games where you had a summary of each game but played through using RE4's controil system. Then I find it's a rail shooter. I sorta lost interest right there.

The game completely fails at it's job, which is to summarize the previous games. It only covers three of them and, really, you're better off reading the script for the old games rather than playing this. \Or watching the cutscenes on YouTube. I would not take any of the scenarios designed to replace the games as canon, and even the events of the side chapters I'd take with a mighty pinch of salt, such as Rebecca and Richard.

Umbrella's End might well be canon, but I honestly don't think it makes much difference. You can sum up everything you need to know with 'Wesker stole Umbrella's main computer and used the information to take over assets of the company while giving the goverment the evidence needed to destroy Umbrella itself.'

And I didn't have to make the worst version of Resident Evil 3 ever to do it.

I've only played through once, while cheating, because I bloody hate light gun games as a rule. So I won't comment on how the characters acted and the like. I seem to recall it was pretty bad B movie stuff, putting it above RE4 and on par with some of the early games.

Comment

I really liked the gameplay and I can understand some of the changes to justify 2 players from the start of every scenario, I'm smart enough to know what is true to the originial story and what is not. My problem is Sergei and his Spoiler:
                , and the laziness with the RE3 scenario, really disgusting.

At the end of the day is a fun game, but could be better

Comment

I was very excited about the game wen it was announced, and I was easgerly watching the walkthru videos be uploaded to youtube.

first things first i suck at rail games, and UC is bloody hard imo

Mr SPencer is right, its dumbing down for a new generation of fans, but thats ok to an extent, we the hardcore really ought to tolerate the RE4 "fans" as its they who will buy the games and keep the franchise going.
                  For me the only factor that keeps me playiing is the storyline and coming up with theories to tie everything together.
                  im afraid gameplay comes a distict second for me nowadays, and having just played thru all 4 Confidential Report games that confirms just how gameplay isnt that important. Thise 4 game suck big time with controls!

Sergei was cool although his clone additions caused headaches we have ironed it out and will be revealing results soon.
                  same with the "beginnings" scenario and its placement, very odd that.

overall ists a game i dont play unless i player 2 player mode, single player mode, its a bit dull, although credit where cresds due.
                  lots of unlockable, and lots of upgrades as well

Comment

Negatives:
                    -most of the VAs sucked. One reason I loved REZero was because every voice in teh game was pretty awesome. In this version, Marcus, Becky and Billy all suck balls.
                    Plus Nemesis' voice made me think he was some kind of cyborg with a voicebox or whatever. I dunno.
                    -the replacement scenarios were all worse than the games they were taken from.

Positives:
                    -the additional scenarios with Ada and HUNK and Umbrella's End were interesting enough. 4th Survivor was just a stupid minigame and could hardly be taken as some sort of canon. Plus Ada's escape and whatnot were all left up to conjecture made by the horribly edited Wesker's Report. So these scenarios were good IMO.
                    -Sergei. I love me some crazy Rusky villains. He also had one of the few good VAs in the game.
                    Last edited by Becky's Butt; 12-10-2008, 04:48 AM.

Comment

I love it.don't have aproblem with rail-shooters.Im not picky about negetives and positive.All in all.Great RE title.

Comment

It's simplistic, and fun for a quick romp through (some of) the RE games in a different manner. That's the appeal for me - the different vantage point for progressing through a familiar environment and the hordes of enemies to shoot (which is the point of the game, being an "on-rails shooter").

I am able to stay positive about the game because I never expected it to replace the games that are featured in it. I just keep a mindset that it is supplementing those games with additional dialogue/situations and of course, a more realistic number of foes. Plus, it's just fun to traverse the Spencer Estate from a first person POV. I just wish you could move freely and experience the entire setting and events. (RE1 being my favorite game means that the mansion is my favorite RE environment.)

Though I only enjoy the RE1 levels, HUNK's level, and Richard's levels.
                        Last edited by Jill's Boob; 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM.

Comment

It was fun to play, and I always liked rail shooters. If that's all it was, I would've loved it. But the fact that they actually said, "No, let's actually put a heavy storytelling aspect into it," and how badly it was done, made it my second most hated Resident Evil title.

Comment

When I first heard about it I was intrigued, but then I heard it was gonna be on rails, which I hated. The game is fun to play for the first few times, but after a while it just becomes boring. The voice acting was horrible, and the techno style music didnt make things any better. I was a bit bumed that RE2 wasnt gonna be included, but when I found out how bad the stories were I was glad they didnt put it in. I can only imagine how bad that would have been. But then again, we have to remember that this was nothing but a thank you letter to fans of the series. It wasnt meant to be a serious game or anything. Its a fun game to play every once and a while, but I still consider it a bad RE game.
                            Last edited by CODE_umb87; 12-10-2008, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Actually, the one thing, ONE thing that I really enjoyed about the game was the music. I mean, it was basically techno remixes of older tracks, but it's better to have a techno remix of an older track that sounds good, than a completely crappy original soundtrack like a game I won't mention had.

And no, I don't see this game as a 'thank you' to the fans, I see it as more of a 'fuck you' to the fans. The storyline was an insult to the franchise. RE4 sucked, but it sucked on its own. Umbrella Chronicles sucked, and it wasl like it was trying to take the whole franchise or at least RE0, Remake and RE3 down with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X