No announcement yet.

A theory regarding the Sonnentreppe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you admit your idea is sketchy at best, but please, just because someone has a German name does not make them a Nazi.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting that as such, and it's not just about the name either. Have you been through the prison area of Rockfort Island lately, that whole place has a concentration camp feel to it.
      See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
        I wasn't suggesting that as such, and it's not just about the name either. Have you been through the prison area of Rockfort Island lately, that whole place has a concentration camp feel to it.
        Have you ever been to one of Nazi Germany's prison camps? I didn't exactly feel that sort of heavy depressing atmosphere in Code Veronica. The prison camp just seemed like a silly bad guy's prison camp.

Comment

I just stopped by to say that Rockfort Island was actually modeled after concentration camps. In fact, if you look at early concept art, Alfred had a german last name which explains the various Nazi military memorabilia he has laying around. I thought the connection was pretty obvious when the room where they took prisoners to be tortured had an incineration chamber. Maybe if that didn't do it, the Tiger tank in the courtyard.
          Last edited by Krispy; 02-17-2009, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Well, this is quickly becoming a moot point. I stand by my original theory, which is sketchy at best but still something I feel is worth touching upon, especially considering that the RE5 comics - as atrocious as they're sure to be - feature elements that could connect with everything that I've previously discussed. If I wasn't so tired I would provide you with a better response as opposed to a cop-out.

There are plenty of elements regarding Rockfort that could interpret it as being inspired by Auschwitz or any other concentration camp, in particular the underground incineration chambers. There's a number of images which I've seen of Rockfort, concept art or otherwise and I'm not the only person to reach this conclusion.
            See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
              so if your a blonde in RE your evil?
              Nooo, of course not. I'm saying if you're blonde, anywhere, in games or the real world then you're clearly in league with dark forces. Especially my brother, sister, nephews, nieces and my dad.

...well, my dad does give that point some validity, actually. But I'm sure you get the joke.

Originally posted by Corrin View Post
              Have you ever been to one of Nazi Germany's prison camps? I didn't exactly feel that sort of heavy depressing atmosphere in Code Veronica. The prison camp just seemed like a silly bad guy's prison camp.
              Yeah, I've been around a couple. Plus a small village in France where the nice German soldiers rounded everyone into the church and burned them alive as a warning that's been left that way a warning from the past. It's possibly one of the most disturbing places I've ever been. Concentration camps are little more than rubble, or the ones I saw were, but that place was...well, a village.

And no, Rockford Island doesn't have that atmosphere. No where that's fictional ever will. There's something about that kind of horror, that kind of misery and evil that stains a place that a game will never do right. Rockford does borrow a lot of elements from concentration camps, though.

Comment

I’ve been to Dachau, Corrin, and you are absolutely correct about the oppressive, foreboding atmosphere. The evil in that place was almost palpable. As Darkmoon just mentioned, however, this is something that would be pretty hard to reproduce, especially in a silly little video game. Having said that, when I first played through RE Code: Veronica and entered the Rockfort Island execution chamber, I was immediately reminded of the crematorium at Dachau. The similarities are pretty hard to ignore.

I find this to be an incredibly fascinating discussion, and one that I'll be contributing to more in the very near future, so let’s try to keep it civil, okay? Threads of this nature have a tendency to get locked, and I for one would hate to see that happen. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X