Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever do a No Merchant Run in Resident Evil 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever do a No Merchant Run in Resident Evil 4?

ONLY the Handgun, Shotgun, Broken Butterfly (and a free rocket launcher if you want to waste the inventory space) and Special Rocket Launcher for the final boss, as well as grenades. No weapon upgrades. No inventory upgrades. Cannot buy first aid sprays. I did this challenge a couple of years ago and I had a lot of fun with it. It definitely tests your skills of supply conservation and precise combat tactics, especially with bosses.

I remember some sections of the game were just so sadistic. Salazar consumed nearly every bullet I had, and when you free Ashley from the restraints and have to protect her from the cultists from above... the inability to suplex crippled my supplies. It was a playthrough that definitely tested my patience but it was still pretty awesome. Thinking of doing another one even though I told myself I'd never do it again after I finished it the first time.

I was really looking forward to doing a No Merchant run in RE5, especially with co-op, but it doesn't look like it would be as challenging since so many weapons can be found.

Yeah I did this run. Only used things that Leon could find on his adventure.
    I found the hardest part to be Bitorez Mendez 2nd form. Because the shotgun at that stage is too weak to blow him to the ground, so he hits you nearly every time he comes near.

I tried to do a 'Standard issue' run with Leon, so only the equipment he's given by the government. His handgun (no upgrades), his knife, and his boots. I got upto the castle, but not too far into it. I gave up, mostly due to lack of time. It certainly was fun but
    sigpic

Comment

I did a no upgrade run the first two times I played the game... I didn't know how to upgrade (in spanish I didn't realize what that option was, latter I played it in english and I discovered that system)

Comment

No, I bought First Aid spray from him, but I went through it using only the knife, unless I absolutely had to use the gun, like on Salazar.

Comment

By and far the best way to play through Resident Evil 4, the way it forces you to conserve ammunition makes it feel a lot more survival based than ever before. Makes you treasure that magnum ammo in the same way we always have done, and makes you appreciate the knife a lot more.

Brilliant.
          http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
          http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
          Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

I did, a few times. My hardest part was always having to help Ashley with out a rifle.

Other than that, when I did upgrade I wouldn't upgrade a weapons ammo capacity, trying to make it seem a little more real.

Comment

i did a no upgrade run it was fun but hard i was always found fighting verdugo hard with only 3 guns

Comment

If only using the merchant to sell things counts then yes...I did a no merch run on normal. I didn't have too much trouble...I just horded grenades for the most part and would use those rather than the shotgun to take out big groups.
                sigpic
                Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

nope, ive never did the no merchant run, i think i tryed the handgun only run but gave up and traded it in 4 cash 4 personal reasons, but if i pick it up ill probably give the no merchant run a try
                  Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 02-21-2009, 12:11 AM.

Comment

One question, can you save the game or you have to run everything at once?

Comment

Well I did a run using only the knife for most bosses on Pro, Broken Butterfly on Salazar as I couldn't be bothered to Handgun him, never used the pistol and the only upgrades I did buy were for the case (as I was trying to save a load of pistol ammo for my next play through, had something like 800 pistol rounds by then).

Yeah I did this run. Only used things that Leon could find on his adventure.
                      I found the hardest part to be Bitorez Mendez 2nd form. Because the shotgun at that stage is too weak to blow him to the ground, so he hits you nearly every time he comes near.
                      Mendez was easy in both forms. 1st falls victim to the ladder and the 2nd only took a few knifings to kill. All you do is go to the ladder near the metal sheet, jump down, wait for mendez to get near, climb the ladder hiding near the sheet and as mendez jumps across the beams run up, knife then jump down the ladder and repeat.

2x Garradors and the armoured Ganados with hammers were a real pain. Nosvistadors had stupid AI which made them hard, two would run for a ladder and get stuck next to each other, neither reaching the ladder to climb and if you jumped down, you'd get mauled in a few seconds. I couldn't believe how easy Regenerators were with the knife, take out the leg then stand at their side knifing, making sure the legs don't regenerate. I never got past the Ashley driving digger bit as I was bored by then.

Comment

Originally posted by VeronicaXlover View Post
                        One question, can you save the game or you have to run everything at once?
                        yes you can save just cant buy guns or health or upgrade your guns
                        but you can upgrade your case

Comment

No you can't upgrade your case. Upgrading your case requires consulting with the Merchant, and that kind of defies the whole "No Merchant" thing. No Merchant meaning No Merchant whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by LVL100 Merchant View Post
                            No you can't upgrade your case. Upgrading your case requires consulting with the Merchant, and that kind of defies the whole "No Merchant" thing. No Merchant meaning No Merchant whatsoever.
                            so what you need to to get ammo and stuff to fit
                            in the case that shouldnt count i mean look at how people said thats what they did

Comment

Then they didn't play a real "No Merchant Run." It's very much possible to play without upgrading your inventory.

Comment

Working...
                              X