Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when Resident Evil tried to be scary? (not trolling)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember when Resident Evil tried to be scary? (not trolling)

"Official Xbox Magazine
    For those new to the series, Resident Evil 5 may not be what you expect. It's neither scary nor survival horror, and though its story throws plenty of love to longtime fans, you don't need to be one to enjoy it. Ultimately, it's an action feast for two - with just a little gristle amid all the delicious blood, bone, and brains. [Mar 2009, p.58]"

Wat. Even RE 4 attempted to be at least a little creepy. This makes me very sad.

Sorry if this is old news, I've been MIA for awhile.

i remember the days when RE was scary, then at least tried and failed, now we have RE trying to be a war game.

Comment

I thought RE 4 was great. It didn't stick to the series' roots, but at least it tried to be similar. Spoiler:
      Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 02-20-2009, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foggle View Post
        I thought RE 4 was great. It didn't stick to the series' roots, but at least it tried to be similar. Spoiler:
        :|
        you better spoiler tag that Foggle, quick edit your post or you'll get a ban or something.

Spoiler:

Comment

"Official Xbox Magazine
          For those new to the series, Resident Evil 5 may not be what you expect. It's neither scary nor survival horror, and though its story throws plenty of love to longtime fans, you don't need to be one to enjoy it. Ultimately, it's an action feast for two - with just a little gristle amid all the delicious blood, bone, and brains. [Mar 2009, p.58]"

Wat. Even RE 4 attempted to be at least a little creepy. This makes me very sad.

Do you remember when fans would play a game in its entirety before passing judgment, instead of just reading something and believing it? Say, is one of your favorite games called "Lemmings?"

Last edited by Jill's Boob; 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM.

Comment

of couse i miss the old horror but im not against the new style either resident evil is resident evil and thats that

Comment

Using the term "war" against "survival" and "horror" just seems a little ... pointless? War = those two terms in general. Just say "Resident Evil doesn't scare the crap out of me like it used to." Though for myself I can say it doesn't because I got older than I originally was when I played the older games.

Older RE gives you a paranoia with the occasional spook, newer RE seems to inflict more of a "fuck have to move fast before it gets me FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU" type of panic. They're different kinds of fear, and I don't really believe there wasn't anything in RE4 that made someone jump in a similar way they did while playing say, RE1.

I'm sure RE5 still have reactions like that too. From the demo itself, I remember going into a corner for a set of ammo and there was a Majini out of sight in the corner on the opposite side - so when I grabbed the ammo and turned it was RIGHT IN MY FACE. 8(

So I think RE still tries to be scary, it's just not the same exact atmosphere as the old games but I think it does an okay job. Not to mention, I do think in a lot of cases, age differences come into the equation.

Comment

See, I don't get it when people say that RE4 is not survival horror.

Is there surviving? Yes, I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Now is there horror? I guess that's a little harder to define. I will tell you that there were times in RE4 where I felt literally FUCKED. None of the other games gave me the same feeling. They had a more scary atmosphere, but RE4 had more tense moments where you truly felt like you weren't going to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kennedy View Post
                  Now is there horror? I guess that's a little harder to define. I will tell you that there were times in RE4 where I felt literally FUCKED. None of the other games gave me the same feeling. They had a more scary atmosphere, but RE4 had more tense moments where you truly felt like you weren't going to make it.
                  Are you serious? In RE4 you find lots of healing items - first aid spray, herbs, chicken eggs, fish. You have tons of ammo. You have a quick action knife handy. It is easy to navigate with the control scheme and the camera. There is almost limitless space to move around - most times you can run away from your enemies and climb up structures. You have "action" commands for crying out loud. Not to mention multiple, upgradable weapons.

How is that more tense than any of the older games? Clunky controls; narrow, tight corridors; fixed camera angles that obscure your vision; characters being slower than all enemies except standard zombies; limited ammo; limited health items; very few different weapons.

Not even close.

Comment

When you play the game for the first time, you have limited resources. So when situations like the cabin scene happen, it's tense. To me at least. The increase in herbs and ammo is made up by the increase in enemies. It evens itself out.
                    Last edited by Mr. Kennedy; 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

"Official Xbox Magazine

says the noobs who never played any other RE game aside from 5 , hugging their precious xbox .

Comment

You don't know that for sure.

Besides, I don't see anything in that statement to be mad at the reviewer for |:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kennedy View Post
                          When you play the game for the first time, you have limited resources. So when situations like the cabin scene happen, it's tense. To me at least. The increase in herbs and ammo is made up by the increase in enemies. It evens itself out.
                          So you're saying RE4 was only tense the "first time" you played it?

Because in your other comment, you said:

Originally posted by Mr. Kennedy
                          None of the other games gave me the same feeling. They had a more scary atmosphere, but RE4 had more tense moments where you truly felt like you weren't going to make it.

To me, frightening and intense are:

- a crimson head flinging itself upright, getting ready to haul ass at you (RE1); scares me every time, not just the "first time" I played it
                          - Lisa Trevor ambling your way, knowing she cannot be stopped (RE1)
                          - the sight of Mr X (RE2)
                          - Nemesis unexpectedly showing up (RE3); makes me jump every time, not just the "first time"
                          - Walking past the lab and seeing a scientist flung up against the glass, and wondering what was waiting for me on the other side of the wall (RECV)

True "HOLY $#!*" moments from the series: - dogs crashing through window (RE1), first appearance of a hunter (RE1), first encounter with a crimson head (REmake), first sight of a licker (RE2), seeing Ben killed in his cell and wondering just what the hell else is awaiting you in the game (RE2).

Those are just a few examples, but I think you'll find more people on this site skewed toward the classics being "scarier" and "more horrifying" than anything in RE4. Those moments I just described have stuck with me for years, whereas I look back on RE4 and think, "Hmm, did I kill 800 or 900 ganados in that game?"

The cabin scene you speak of, involved no sense of dread. Shoot, run upstairs or jump out window, run away from enemies, stop, turn around, and fire off round after round as ganados walk into your line of fire. When they get close, rinse, lather, and repeat.

To me, the only part of RE4 that actually had me saying "oh $#!*" under my breath was the first time I encountered one of the dogs. Because they were fast and I couldn't just run away without them pursuing me. Until I learned that I could just run back to the pier and jump down into the boat and throw harpoons at them as they were stuck running in place on the pier.

And the only "jump" moment in the entire game was the "oven man," and within seconds I was laughing about that instead of feeling any sort of extended fear.
                          Last edited by Jill's Boob; 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I liked the older RE games alot better, for they had their creepy, almost scary moments. With the fixed camera angles you could never tell what was around the corner on a first play through.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                              So you're saying RE4 was only tense the "first time" you played it?
                              Yes, just like the RE remake is only tense the first time I played it. Once I play it, I remember all that stuff.

To me, frightening and intense are:

- a crimson head flinging itself upright, getting ready to haul ass at you (RE1); scares me every time, not just the "first time" I played it
                              - Lisa Trevor ambling your way, knowing she cannot be stopped (RE1)
                              - the sight of Mr X (RE2)
                              - Nemesis unexpectedly showing up (RE3); makes me jump every time, not just the "first time"
                              - Walking past the lab and seeing a scientist flung up against the glass, and wondering what was waiting for me on the other side of the wall (RECV)

True "HOLY $#!*" moments from the series: - dogs crashing through window (RE1), first appearance of a hunter (RE1), first encounter with a crimson head (REmake), first sight of a licker (RE2), seeing Ben killed in his cell and wondering just what the hell else is awaiting you in the game (RE2).
                              I find those moments great too. However, RE4 has a different sense of dread. It's more frantic, and it's harder to escape them than many of the enemies in the other games where you can just run past them. I know you can just run past ganados too, but the game intentionally puts you in situations where you can't. You may have found the cabin scene easy, but I didn't. I died many times.

Comment

Working...
                              X