Opinion on having a level select; ruins the remains of "survival horror?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on having a level select; ruins the remains of "survival horror?"

I've always believed that the Resident Evil games were never as stingy with supplies and ammo like many claimed, but I don't think it's debatable that Resident Evil 4 really upped the ante in terms of ammunition you were given, and thus, allowed to expend. Still, though the amount of goodies given to you was definitely increased, there was still ultimately a finite amount of ammo and health in the game. Resident Evil 5 looks to abandon this with its level select function.

Resident Evil 4 used a chapter-based system of progression, and I always thought it was silly there was no chapter select in the game. Resident Evil 5, adopting a similar method of mission-based structure, makes use of a mission select now. Makes sense; appears to just be a convenient and rudimentary feature that should have been present in RE4 in the first place. However, let's assume that the you can travel back to completed levels before you initially complete the game; it's not just a feature unlocked upon game completion. What happens when you return to an earlier level?

It seems to me that Resident Evil 5 will probably adopt a system sort of like the structure seen in Devil May Cry 3 and 4; you have a sort of "universal" character whose stats and inventory carry over across the course of the game and any levels you decide to replay. I remember in Devil May Cry 3 and 4, if I ever got stuck, I would replay earlier levels to accumulate more souls and thus buy more items and abilities to help bypass the obstacle later in the game. If we get stuck on a section or a boss in RE5, would it be possible to replay earlier levels and sort of "grind" for money and supplies until we're able to defeat this barricade impeding our progress? I suppose we could all just opt to not use the feature for grinding purposes, but it kind of kills the "survival" aspect when there is no limit on the cash and supplies that could be obtained in a single playthrough. I guess I'm glad it's there as opposed to it not being there, as it allows you to join any co-op game without it severely screwing up your own progress and it allows convenience to replay any particular sections of the game at will.

The Siren games are organized like this, and they're scary as fuck.

Although, they don't allow you to farm for supplies or anything; you get a set amount of suppies at the beginning of each mission.
    Last edited by The Ekamp; 03-02-2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

its more fun being able to select and play your favourite missions in my opinion

Comment

im sure though that your saved progress would make it to where you replay through the level again and wont get more special items or anything like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Stars_g36 View Post
          im sure though that your saved progress would make it to where you replay through the level again and wont get more special items or anything like that...
          Yea you're probably right, RE5 seems like it's going to be pretty straight forward levels wise, because after you get done with a level all that's left is rubble lol.
          "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
          Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

If RE5 is anything like RE4 (and it definitely is), then I don't think I'll be backtracking

Comment

I personally love this addition to the gameplay. Now I can jump right to my favorite parts of the game if I only feel like playing for 30 minutes or a hour. Likely, I'll play through the game over and over again from start to finish... but, again, for a quick-play session this is a God send.

It also helps co-op since my buddies and I can now choose one specific area we feel like tackling and go at it.

::sigh:: Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by CubedSphere View Post
                I personally love this addition to the gameplay. Now I can jump right to my favorite parts of the game if I only feel like playing for 30 minutes or a hour. Likely, I'll play through the game over and over again from start to finish... but, again, for a quick-play session this is a God send.

It also helps co-op since my buddies and I can now choose one specific area we feel like tackling and go at it.

::sigh:: Tomorrow can't come soon enough.
                I hear ya, it feels like an eternity now that it's getting so close to release.
                Last edited by REmaster; 03-04-2009, 11:31 PM.
                "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Yeah this was definitely added because of the co-op feature. It also suits the RE4 play style. I think it will be gone in RE6 though.. I have a feeling RE6 will be more like RE 3.5.

Comment

I hope RE6 is more like RE3.5. Although a little paranormal for RE, it still looked scarier than the RE4 we got. Unless they go with the story of Leon being infected with Progenitor. Then it can be rationalized as him hallucinating as he tries to fight the infection. Oh, and make the main character not Leon. Ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ekamp View Post
                      The Siren games are organized like this, and they're scary as fuck.
                      Came in here to post this and it's the first reply. Good work Ekamp

But seriously, yes, Siren has levels and, in Blood Curses' case, is a great example of how to do it, 'cause they hint at what'll happen in the next episode and it makes you want to jump ahead straight away.

Comment

In Umbrella Chronicles you could go back to earlier stages and play it again. I use to play some of the levels on easy to get ammo when I played other levels on hard. As far as level select runing survival horror, well I think resident evil stopped by survival horror 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                          I hope RE6 is more like RE3.5. Although a little paranormal for RE, it still looked scarier than the RE4 we got. Unless they go with the story of Leon being infected with Progenitor. Then it can be rationalized as him hallucinating as he tries to fight the infection. Oh, and make the main character not Leon. Ever again.
                          I'm sure we will see a few elements of it at least, Capcom recycle all their stuff just look at RE 1.5.

Comment

i think chapters helps .. because you can allways play your favourite chapters because i think people who play games like to have fun now and again

Comment

Working...
                            X