Is anyone pissed they took out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [STARS]TyranT View Post
    Example: End of Fellowship of the Ring, Aragorn stands before an entire legion of Uruk's, on his own, he should die, in a realistic circumstance, he would die. But his stand against them makes him a hero, it's the same thing with the boulder. It's totally preposterous, but in the time of need (rescueing Sheva), Chris needed for it to happen.
    Mmm, not the only Lord of The Rings feeling I get when I play RE5. When using the Longbow with Sheva, I can't help but count out loud the number of Majini I'm killing...much like Legolas in The Return of The King.

Comment

not really i mean yeah i was shock that they took out the typewriters but i got use to it after a while

Comment

They are an inconvenience, I think at least. And I've been a RE fan since REmake was released. Having to walk for seven minutes to backtrack to the last typewriter (I am not exaderating, ie RE3, typewriters being so far apart sometimes.)

Comment

It was a pain in the ass to have to do that, but I always still thought that was part of putting the real survival in the game's genre.

Comment

Well, I do admit. The fear of going to a save room that lay just before where I left a zombie unburned, or a hoard of zombies unkilled, gave me the chills.

Nonetheless, I still need to play RE5, and then I can say whether or not the typewriters removal was a good or bad subtraction.

Comment

I think there needs to be a balance between the realism and creativity of a game. The series has always tried to strike a balance between the two. I mean, in terms of realism we don't see Chris riding into battle on a winged Pegasus to take advantage of Wesker's inability to fly. Sure, it would be creative. On the other hand it would be idiotic.

But some of the stuff is pretty impossible. I mean, if nothing else, everyone gets shot a bunch, bitten by things, stabbed and other stuff. There needs to be a balance, a point where suspension of belief isn't being constantly strained.

Comment

i miss the typewritters, i want them and item boxs, camera angle, zombies, umbrella, normal Wesker, save rooms, Brunette Jill, Raccoon City, virus monsters and low ammo back.

taking away the typewriters really sucked. they added a special feel tothe game. take away to many unique things about a series andit lossit's identity and becomes something else. i feel RE has removed a lot of the little things ithad that made me like the series.

it's the little things like that, that make me like RE. just about everygame has checkpoints, there boring and im sick of them, the first time i played classic RE, i thought, and still do think that typewriters are the coolest and most fun saving system to ever exist in gaming.

now there gone, RE just doesn't feel the same anymore.
                Last edited by missvalentine; 03-18-2009, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                  take away to many unique things about a series andit lossit's identity and becomes something else. i feel RE has removed a lot of the little things ithad that made me like the series.
                  Yeah, Jill's hair is no longer brown. Well, she's lost her identity!

now there gone, RE just doesn't feel the same anymore.
                  Yeah, it was the missing typewriters that made RE5 destroy the "feel of RE." Even more so than the way RE4 changed everything from the previous games. BUT. IT. HAD. TYPEWRITERS. So it isn't until 2009 and RE5 that the series has completely lost its feel.
                  Last edited by Jill's Boob; 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM.

Comment

woah dudes...chill

Comment

To be honest, the typewriters needed to be removed after CV:X. From Outbreak onwards (bar some sort of release date confusion on my behaldf) you haven't needed an ink ribbon to save the game, essentially taking away the point of the damn things. The ink ribbons were there to make you think about your saves, you could save now and wait until you found more ribbons or you could go a bit longer. They were part of the survival aspect and simply aren't needed anymore.

If none of that made sense, I apologise. I can't write what I mean any clearer XD

Comment

Originally posted by BadWolfX View Post
                        To be honest, the typewriters needed to be removed after CV:X. From Outbreak onwards (bar some sort of release date confusion on my behaldf) you haven't needed an ink ribbon to save the game, essentially taking away the point of the damn things. The ink ribbons were there to make you think about your saves, you could save now and wait until you found more ribbons or you could go a bit longer. They were part of the survival aspect and simply aren't needed anymore.

If none of that made sense, I apologise. I can't write what I mean any clearer XD
                        I understand what you're saying. A limited supply of saves made the games, when they still had a bit of the horror aspect to them, even more intense because it forced you to make a choice when you wanted to save. Saving was apart of the gameplay element. However as they became more action oriented, like RE4, it returned to simply being a save feature.

RE5's checkpoint/save system works for what type of game it is. If typewriters were back, would both characters be required to obtain ink ribbons and have to save their games separately? It would break the flow of the game and would hinder the player as they would have to stop, find an ink ribbon, decide if its worth putting in their inventory, and then find the place to save. The auto saving feature is actually much better in my opinion.
                        sigpic
                        Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

^Rationale is not allowed here. But it is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                            i miss the typewritters, i want them and item boxs, camera angle, zombies, umbrella, normal Wesker, save rooms, Brunette Jill, Raccoon City, virus monsters and low ammo back.
                            Then you'd best buy a PS1.

As people have said, the typewriters were a mechanism for saving. In the past games, saves (like ammo) were a resource that had to be managed. If you were too wasteful, then you'd find the game hard to complete. But they were always VERY lenient.

As for them building atmosphere. They looked entirely out of place, in parts of RE2 and onwards. In the back of a train, or a cargo plane. On the sewer manager's desk, or in a bar's wine cellar. If anything, they destory the atmosphere (in games past RE1). They did preserve the resource management side of the games, at least until outbreak and RE4. (Although CV had retry checkpoints too). Outbreak's shorter scenarios, playing with others meant that suspending the gameplay at all would be impossible. As for RE5, having to stop and reload from a specified point (where the save was made) rather then the next checkpoint (and hence not replay any areas when a partner joins in) helps the gameplay flow much more fluidly.
                            The goals of both systems really aren't comparable.
                            As for RE4, well it was a throwback to the old games. The lack of ink ribbons (and abundance of ammo) shows that the game was never about resource management.
                            sigpic

Comment

i can think of a(Suitable)replacement for the typewriter(or a brother to it for some areas),A laptop but you need a battery for it to save,and that battery only has anough juice for a few saves.
                              wouldint be verrymuch out of place in a lab or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X