Possible plothole concerning a certain virus *SPOILER*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible plothole concerning a certain virus *SPOILER*

That seems to be a small plothole if you think about what you've read from the files in the library, concerning the virus.

Spoiler:

what do you guys think?

Spoiler:

Comment

I think all other Wesker's simply lose their superpower because they didn't had a serum.
      Spoiler:

Comment

Maybe Spencer didn't know the other Wesker children required repeated or regular doses of the virus? Perhaps the repeated injections for Wesker aren't just for him to help maintain his super-strength (which he probably doesn't even use that frequently) but instead the doses are used to keep him alive since he was originally infected? Maybe this is something Birkin or Wesker discovered that Spencer didn't.

It is however, in all likelihood, a plothole since the files are pretty in depth and a detail such as this probably would have been explained had the writers thought of it.
        Last edited by LVL100 Merchant; 03-24-2009, 02:05 PM.

Comment

there were no other Wesker survivors.

Comment

yes there are, it's detailed in the files
            Spoiler:

Comment

there are other survivors, but the game itself also contradicts this, in the cutscene spencer clearly says "Only one survived". But this is what the library file says.

Most of the Wesker children died, leaving only a few survivors. Albert Wesker
              was one of those survivors. and he disappeared shortly after.

Comment

This makes my brain hurt.
                After a while you've got to wonder if these minor details are worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOvermind001 View Post
                  After a while you've got to wonder if these minor details are worth it.
                  Capcom doesn't sweat the small stuff.

Comment

Most of the Wesker children died, leaving only a few survivors. Albert Wesker
                    was one of those survivors. and he disappeared shortly after.
                    in the cutscene spencer clearly says "Only one survived"
                    Logically. Those who survived the initial injection "burned out" and died from not having the regular injections. At the time when Wesker confronts Spencer, he is the only surviving Wesker child. He survived because of his knowledge of biochemistry. He did tests, figured out his condition, and developed the solution.

Comment

Right I don't get your logic.

Why wouldn't Spencer be able to convince all the Wesker children to take continuos doses? He convinced Wesker, who kept taking the doses even without knowing Spencer was behind it, so what makes him different from all the other Wesker children?

Say you're a Wesker child and you're forced, tricked or convinced to take this injection. You don't know where the virus is from or who's supplying it, but all you know is that it will grant you superhuman strength. Once you have this superhuman strength, why the hell would the suppliers forget to mention that "oh, btw, you're superhuman now, but you have to keep taking these injections or it will go away..."?

And it's made pretty clear that the first injection would either grant you these powers or kill you, depending on your genes. It's never suggested they used a separate virus as a screening process, so I don't know where that came from.

And look, Spencer said that only Albert survived the first injection, but the files/Capcom says a "few Wesker children survived". This could mean alot of things, like that Spencer thought they all died? That something was being kept from Spencer? Or it could mean that initially a few Wesker's survived the 1998 injection, but by 2006 there was only Albert left.

And this is really speculating, but it could also mean that, when the initial Wesker children lost their powers after the first injection wore off, Spencer would give them more after they'd saught him out, as a form of dependance on Spencer, and that Albert was the exception in that William Birkin said FU to Spencer and told Albert he needed to take continous doses from the getgo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sina View Post
                        Right I don't get your logic.

Why wouldn't Spencer be able to convince all the Wesker children to take continuos doses? He convinced Wesker, who kept taking the doses even without knowing Spencer was behind it, so what makes him different from all the other Wesker children?
                        Wesker did not get the serum he takes from Spencer. He hadn't seen spencer for 10 years. Wesker survived because he made the serum that keeps him from breaking down.

Say you're a Wesker child and you're forced, tricked or convinced to take this injection. You don't know where the virus is from or who's supplying it, but all you know is that it will grant you superhuman strength. Once you have this superhuman strength, why the hell would the suppliers forget to mention that "oh, btw, you're superhuman now, but you have to keep taking these injections or it will go away..."?
                        They were not told that the virus would give them superpowers. (except Wesker who got it from birkin) Some of them were given it as a flu shot.

And it's made pretty clear that the first injection would either grant you these powers or kill you, depending on your genes. It's never suggested they used a separate virus as a screening process, so I don't know where that came from.
                        What? The first thing you said is correct but that second thing is just random.

Or it could mean that initially a few Wesker's survived the 1998 injection, but by 2006 there was only Albert left.
                        Thats what I said, yet you disagree with me?

And this is really speculating, but it could also mean that, when the initial Wesker children lost their powers after the first injection wore off, Spencer would give them more after they'd saught him out, as a form of dependance on Spencer, and that Albert was the exception in that William Birkin said FU to Spencer and told Albert he needed to take continous doses from the getgo.
                        The Injections Wesker takes ARE NOT the virus that gives him powers. They Either keep him from "burning up", or "dying". They keep his powers in balance, that's why when you forcefully give him too much, he becomes weak.

Comment

Originally posted by LVL100 Merchant View Post
                          Maybe Spencer didn't know the other Wesker children required repeated or regular doses of the virus? Perhaps the repeated injections for Wesker aren't just for him to help maintain his super-strength (which he probably doesn't even use that frequently) but instead the doses are used to keep him alive since he was originally infected? Maybe this is something Birkin or Wesker discovered that Spencer didn't.

It is however, in all likelihood, a plothole since the files are pretty in depth and a detail such as this probably would have been explained had the writers thought of it.
                          If Spencer, the creator of the virus, doesn't know the other Wesker require regular doses, Albert most probably wouldn't know too. Maybe Albert did a test on the virus and realised that he need regular dosage, before he took it in the arklay lab, but if he could, Spencer will have know too, since he is so particular to make his Wesker's plan a success.

And look, Spencer said that only Albert survived the first injection, but the files/Capcom says a "few Wesker children survived". This could mean alot of things, like that Spencer thought they all died? That something was being kept from Spencer? Or it could mean that initially a few Wesker's survived the 1998 injection, but by 2006 there was only Albert left.
                          I've been sticking to the last explanation for a while, as I don't think they'll make such a contradiction so obvious lol

The 'additional virus' theory was really made up by me to explain the flow of the story easier imo. Likewise, Jill nor Spencer never explicitly said that the superhuman virus is the same as Spencer virus. I guess with all the relevant characters gone, we'll have no chance to close this little doubt.

I seriously need more sleep I guess
                          Last edited by xfactor; 03-24-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Wow i learned a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by BLSR1 View Post
                              Thats what I said, yet you disagree with me?
                              Sorry, my bad for not making it clear, but my entire post was directed at the OP.

Originally posted by BLSR1 View Post
                              Wesker did not get the serum he takes from Spencer. He hadn't seen spencer for 10 years. Wesker survived because he made the serum that keeps him from breaking down.
                              I may need to reread the files, but does it say Wesker specifically made the serum? I was under the impression that what he injected in 1998 and what he kept injecting perodically since then was the same substance, just that he needed to refresh doses, and that Excella and TriCell were the ones who kept replicating the virus to keep him supplied.

Anyway, Birkin gave the virus to Wesker and probably gave him the details of how it worked, as I doubt Wesker would inject something he didn't understand. Why wouldn't Birkin know he needed more doses in the future? And I say he got it from Spencer indirectly, since Spencer gave it to him secretly through Birkin.

They were not told that the virus would give them superpowers. (except Wesker who got it from birkin) Some of them were given it as a flu shot.
                              How do you know only Albert knew it would give him superpowers? What makes him so different from all the others? Sure, some of them had to be tricked into taking it, but I think if they survived and actually got superpowers, that would be a hint.

What? The first thing you said is correct but that second thing is just random.
                              I was referring to Xfactor's "In other words, the virus which gives Albert Wesker superhuman strength is not the same virus which Spencer gave them for the filter test" so again, not directed at you.

The Injections Wesker takes ARE NOT the virus that gives him powers. They Either keep him from "burning up", or "dying". They keep his powers in balance, that's why when you forcefully give him too much, he becomes weak.
                              What do you base that on? Why wouldn't it be the same substance that he injected in 1998? That's a geniun question, by the way, since I might've missed or forgotten something. But why would Spencer create a virus which powers only lasted a short while and leave it at that? It's obvious Spencer knew how to keep the effects going or he wouldn't have bothered. The question is if all surviving Wesker children were meant to keep the effects up, if Spencer's objective was just to create liutenants or whatever for his new world "government", and all he wanted for them was to seek him out.

Point is, if Spencer didn't want the Wesker's to keep the effects going after the initial injection, it's kind of a reach to suggest that Albert figured it out on his own. My guess is Spencer (secretly) handed down if not a physical supply, then atleast instructions of how to replicate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X