Best version of Resident Evil 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best version of Resident Evil 2?

After beating RE5 I have a sudden urge to go back to the classics. I know there are many versions of RE2 and I would just like to ask the hardcore fans which is the BEST (in terms of video quality/extras).

Obviously it came out on PSX first but I don't like how PSX games look on my PS3. I have the N64 with the EX-FILES and faster loading but I can't find my N64 console anywhere in my house!

Should I get the gamecube version of RE2? I have component cables for my GC and I think RE2 would look really crisp. Problem is that RE2 for gamecube is pretty expensive (40 bucks). What about the Dreamcast version? I hear it has fullscreen cutscenes, nightmare mode, gallery, VMU display for health etc. Problem is that I have to find a VGA box/adapter or S-video cables to play on my TV or Monitor.

To all the fans who have multiple copies of RE2 which console version LOOKS the best?
    Last edited by ZombieThriller; 03-26-2009, 03:13 PM.

GC, hand-down looks the best. Best resolution.

But I like the N64 version. It's just such a huge techincal achievement, and it's the first time I'd ever seen RE. It's effing epic.

Comment

Probably the GC version, but I wouldn't count on even a noticeable change (though to be fair it's been years since I've played the PSX version).

My best advice would be to find your N64. I don't think you should have to shell out 40 bucks to get the GC version (I'm probably only saying this to myself because I want to get CVX for GC but the thing is 60 fucking dollars).

Comment

Dreamcast version, if only because of nightmare mode.
        It's very challenging, so if you want to just play for the story, stick to another version.

DC also has HUNK and Tofu missions unlocked from the start, so if you want to do those, you can save some time too.
        sigpic

Comment

The N64 version has extra files that enrich the storyline.

I don't know if those extra files are in the GC or Dreamcast versions, but I do know they aren't in the PS1 version.

Comment

RE2 Dual Shock (PSX) get a feel for the early days of Mercs with Extreme Battle mode...plus controller force feedback!!!

Comment

if i recall, the cube version has the ability to skip all the in-engine cutscenes as well. which you can't do in any other version.

Comment

I reaally like the dreamcast version, with all of its features, modes and extras...

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yeah I really need to look for my N64 I just have to look in my basement it's in there somewhere! What I really didn't like about the N64 is how everything was compressed, the cutscenes looked horribly pixelated and the audio compression wasn't that good. But it still was acceptable for it's time and to fit all that on a cartridge was impressive.

For a videophile like myself I would like to experience RE2 in the best picture quality available, so I'm thinking that this is more of a DREAMCAST vs GAMECUBE issue since they both have higher resolutions. I've read online that Gamecube has widescreen FMVs and Dreamcast has Fullscreen FMVs. But to anyone who has both which FMV cutscenes ultimately look better? Is there anything cut out with the black bars on the top and bottom?

Comment

Dreamcast, for the features, the extreme battle and for (finally) the high resolution correct aspect ratio movies. They are worth the price of admission alone.

My Gameshard review for Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast):
                    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

I always liked the r.e 2 for the dream cast it has cleaner graphics as well as a char model section and lots of extras that where only available on that console!

Comment

I'm kind of wishing I had a dreamcast now...

Comment

yeah sketches, artwork, 3d models viewer, and fmv watcher as well

Comment

Dreamcast. It's a port of the PC version, so it got all of the extras from that, such as the art, model viewer and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by randomwab View Post
                              Dreamcast. It's a port of the PC version, so it got all of the extras from that, such as the art, model viewer and so on.
                              Speaking of the PC version of Re2, has anyone heard anything new about that Dark Biohazard modification that one guy was doing?

Comment

Working...
                              X