Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well guys. I dont know about you, But RE5 was a sad disappointment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude, you know we sorted that two pages ago right?

Comment

I thought the game was great and was a great balance of everything. The old Resident Evil is dead and got everything I expected from this game. Maybe your expectations were to high. As far as the files giving a lot of information on the plot, I thought it was better that you could read them after the fact instead of having a 20 minutes MGS cut scene explaining everything.

Originally posted by [STARS]TyranT View Post
      Like I've said in a couple of threads now, I actually think this experimental virus adds so much depth to Birkin and he's not even in this game.

Wesker and Birkin both wanted out of Umbrella, and devised a way (using the virus) for Wesker to 'die' so he could move behind the scenes in the shadows. Now we don't know how long Birkin had the virus before giving it to Wesker, but the fact that they waited until the best possible time to use it, defy Spencer and get Wesker out of the veil of Umbrella is a fascinating angle for me. It makes both Wesker and Birkin's 'betrayel' of Spencer that much more thrilling for me.

Spencer was never going to succeed the moment Wesker and Birkin became part of Umbrella.

I was under the impression that Birkin didn't really want out of Umbrella and was kinda uneasy about the whole Wesker death thing. And if anything Birkin did Spencer a favor because Birkin convinced Wesker to take the virus. Wesker thought that it was a virus Birkin developed but it was actually from Spencer.

Comment

See I'm the total opposite. I've always found Birkin and Wesker two sides of the same coin, 'Scholar Will, Practical Al'.

Even Marcus toys with pitting them against each other when in actual fact the whole time they are scheming and planning together (they are both present for Marcus' death).
        Birkin in the Zero cutscenes is very much in line with Wesker and even co-operates with everything Wesker wants, just stating he needs a little more time with the G-Virus, now Umbrella Chronicles made a joke of Birkin in his brief scene which we ignore because it directly contradicts a Zero scene but on the whole Birkin was always allied with Wesker, I've no doubt about it.

At the end of the day Birkin new Umbrella was coming for him, he pulled a gun straight out on Hunk.
        http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
        http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
        Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

I see what your saying but the only problem is that how did Spencer convince Birkin to give Wesker the prototype virus? The file gives the impression that Spencer told Birkin to have Wesker use it and not that it was some unknown person that give it to Birkin. Which also brings up the issue would Birkin give his friend a virus that he has no idea what it can do? The notebook of Birkin did say that it would bring 90% of the subjects back to life but didn't it kill just about all the Wesker Children? Bottom line is I felt that after RE 5, it seemed that Birkin let Wesker do his thing while Birkin just wanted to study the G virus. I sure his mistrust for Spencer was always there but it never became important until he knew they were coming for him.

Comment

Birkin wasn't told of the virus's origins and nature, other than it was from a "mutation stock". The only things he knew about it came out of his own tests.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Stars1356 View Post
              I was under the impression that Birkin didn't really want out of Umbrella and was kinda uneasy about the whole Wesker death thing. And if anything Birkin did Spencer a favor because Birkin convinced Wesker to take the virus. Wesker thought that it was a virus Birkin developed but it was actually from Spencer.
              It only seems that way in Umbrella Chronicles. In Zero he was much more confident. They made his personality seem weak and nervous in UC... which is kind of stupid and inconsistent with his actual character.

Also, in RE2 he seemed to be wanting to leave Umbrella... prompting why Spencer sent HUNK's team in to retrieve the G-Virus.
              Last edited by TheOvermind001; 03-29-2009, 02:08 AM.

Comment

well about a few minutes into the game i forgot i was playing Resident Evil or a Horror game. it was only after i finished it, that i realised how much the game was not RE, and how bad it was at being an RE game.

but as a stupid mindless fun action game it's alright.

but yes it's definitely a disapointment.

Comment

i don't meen to be rude but i think you guys should grow a pair and suck it up, yha RE has changed but things change after so long, nothing good ever stays the same.

(this post is directed towards people who thought the game was a disaster and disappointment) yes u have opinions to and so do i, im just saying.

Comment

You know how much I love doing this...if all the elements of a series that you love have been changed, removed or simply dropped for the sake of more action and guns then why, exactly, do you have to suck it up and like the game, simply accepting it as change?

Can you honestly say they couldn't have made the game less action and more horror? Or, well, any horror?

Are you honestly saying that more puzzles couldn't have been added to various locations?

The game needed to change to remain vibrant. Fair enough, no one will argue that point. Did that mean they had to take out all the Resident Evil bits to make the series succesful? And can you really blame fans of the old games who feel that Capcom have sold them down the river trying to sell more copies to new people rather than caring about the older fans?

Comment

u make alot of valid points but im just saying things change but you don't have to like the change. but i agree they should have put more horror into it. but i think they still made a good game over all.

if my last post sounded like you HAVE to like RE5, i didnt mean it in that way.

Comment

Anyone that expects horror from Resident Evil anymore is hoping for too much, and somewhat delusional.
                        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Yeah, that's likely true. And very, very wrong. I'm sorry, but you start a series as horror, then keep it as horror. Don't just give the old fans the middle finger and dance away to the bank.

Sadly, I don't expect horror from RE. Not anymore. Which is why I beat RE5 once and went back to playing Valkyria Chronicles and Forbidden Siren. Haven't touched RE5 since.

Comment

Capcom took a risk in going the direction they did but they kind of had to if they wanted to finish telling the story of Chris/Jill/Wesker. The storyline had evolved from those characters being stuck in a "surviving" enviroment to something having alot more action. You make a good point about original fans of the series...but at the same time...is it ok to just take a crap on fans of characters who want the story to be told?

Best solution would be to have kept RE the same in all the games...tweaking where it was needed. Resident Evil <randon name> for the action games. Thats not the case, but oh well...whatever works.

Comment

I wouldn't be disappointed in RE5 at all if they kept zombies and oldschool BOWs. They didn't need to drop any of that. I have no complaints about the gameplay, it IS fun. RE4 proved that you could still have elements of horror with that type of gameplay by adding enemies like the Wolverines and Regenerators....

But for some reason the producers of RE5 decided to take every shred of the orig REs that they could.

They could have easily had Zombies instead of plagas, they could have easily added more suspense moments instead of relying COMPLETELY on action...

I just feel as a whole RE5 is really disappointing even to someone who finds the gameplay fun.

OVERALL:
                              Great action game, overall very well made.
                              HORRIBLE resident evil game....
                              Last edited by TheOvermind001; 03-30-2009, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I think that's my main issue...Resident Evil has become a decent action game in a market saturated with better action games. By ignoring the horror elements of the game, horror elements that they remove, they're shooting themselves in the foot by blending in with the pack rather than doing something different. I think even Capcom have realized that as there whole marketing campaign was, essentially, a lie about how terrifying the game was.

Yes, it had moments of suspense and anxiety. Yes there were moments that made me slightly nervous, like the animal holding area and seeing all the Lickers in there big glass cases. Was I ever afraid? No. I never had to put the controller down and get ready to open the next door, drying my hands. I never saved the game because I just couldn't face what was next.

I still do that on the older games, if I haven't played them recently and my memory isn't good on what's happening. I still get nervous on Nemesis, thinking, 'Isn't this where I get jumped by something nasty with a Rocket Launcher?' Forbidden Siren, one of the few games I ever bothered completely beating, still terrifies me to a point where I can only play an hour or two at a sitting.

Keep the action elements, by all means Capcom. It sells and it works. But do yourselves a favour...use those horror elements that you boasted about, the ones that you couldn't add due to co-op or time or whatever, and make sure the game really s scary. Make sure it stands out of the crowd. Because more people are terrified by Dead Space and BioShock than your games, and if other companies are making better action games with more fear, you're screwed.

Comment

Working...
                                X