Resident Evil Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil Novels

How are the novels written by S.D Perry? I understand they follow the games loosely, but change quite a few things. That withstanding, are they worth a read? I have a 150$ worth of gift cards for Borders, and I got the books I wanted but saw these there and wondered if they were worth it.

I haven't read any of them myself, but have heard mostly good about them if that helps at all.

Comment

I own all of them and I think they are worth a read for sure, although I would just get the first book to see how you like them, I think that's the best one. The "original" Perry novels aren't too good in my opinion so I would just stick to the game novelizations. Also, I wouldn't recommend buying the last book she made, which is Zero Hour (based on RE0 of course). It's pretty bland compared to the others and doesn't go into nearly as much behind-the-scenes parts as the others.
      Last edited by REmaster; 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM.
      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Yeah I noticed that there seemed to be some original work by her, I think the 2nd book and then there was another later one that didn't seem to be based on any game. I think I'll give them a try or rather the first one.

Comment

Yea there's Caliban Cove, which stars Rebecca and takes starts right after RE1 and ends right after RE2. Also, there's Underworld, which reunites Leon and Claire into taking down yet another Umbrella facility, imagine that lol.
          "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."

Comment

SD Perry has a hard on for Rebecca (yes I know she is a woman). I'd say the best novel was the one based on RE3...but everything else...meh..if you've got the time then sure read them.
            sigpic
            Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

I think they're definitely worth it, I've read Code Veronica, City of the Dead, Zero Hour, and The Umbrella Conspiracy. Though I think she made Wesker out of character.

Comment

I've only read The Umbrella Conspiracy and Nemesis, but I loved both.

Although her decision to show Wesker from both clueless about what's going on and then having him go all schizo and know what's happening and having an evil plan in the space of chapters was odd. It doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                  Yea there's Caliban Cove, which stars Rebecca and takes starts right after RE1 and ends right after RE2. Also, there's Underworld, which reunites Leon and Claire into taking down yet another Umbrella facility, imagine that lol.
                  I enjoyed Caliban Cove, seemed to fit a bit in with there the hell Rebecca is and stuff. I don't care if Perry has a hard on for becca but hell at least we get content with Rebecca lol. Yeah eat THAT Capcom.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                    SD Perry has a hard on for Rebecca (yes I know she is a woman). I'd say the best novel was the one based on RE3...but everything else...meh..if you've got the time then sure read them.
                    This. Nemesis put Nicholai Ginovaef in the spotlight, along with Jill and Carlos. For this, I will be forever grateful to SD Perry. Nicholai's portrayal alone is worth the price of admission. Now, if only he was given that much love in the video game...
                    Last edited by Vector; 04-09-2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

yha nemesis is her best book by far and you get 2 see wat nicholai does when hes not around carlos and the rest of his crew

Comment

I remember digging the books before I was a teenager. I don't remember too many details (there definitely are some that stand out), but as far as I'm concerned it's good pulp.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                          This. Nemesis put Nicholai Ginovaef in the spotlight, along with Jill and Carlos. For this, I will be forever grateful to SD Perry. Nicholai's portrayal alone is worth the price of admission. Now, if only he was given that much love in the video game...
                          Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
                          yha nemesis is her best book by far and you get 2 see wat nicholai does when hes not around carlos and the rest of his crew
                          I like the first one the best just because RE1 is my fav game and I read it literally 20 times over in the first few months I had it. However, Nemesis was awesome. I think my favorite part, other than Nicholai's shady buisness, was Spoiler:
                          Last edited by REmaster; 04-09-2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

The only thing I disliked really about Nicholai in Perry's novel was what happened to him in the end. I think Perry helped fuel the whole "he dies" thing, but I still think its canon that he lives.
                            sigpic
                            Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

^ Agreed and agreed. Nicholai can't die, he's "too smooth silver fox."

Comment

Working...
                              X