BioHazard / Resident Evil 1 (PS) originally had Japanese Voice Acting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioHazard / Resident Evil 1 (PS) originally had Japanese Voice Acting

Hi. The horror has spread to me, and I'm now a new fan of the Resident Evil/Bio Hazard series. I'm Keiji Dragon in many places, but I think I'm just gonna stick to "OKei" for now here. I mostly became a fan recently through seeing many media about Resident Evil on You Tube through topics such as the original RE, it's beta topics, it's quirky storyline, its characters, and particularly, BioHazard 1.5. I've only played and finished the Director's Cut version of RE, so I'm just starting off the series from there. I hope to get though the rest of the series in time.

To start off my birth as a fan...

Did you know that Resident Evil had Japanese dialogue before its release? Capcom originally recorded a voice track in Japanese, but it was disused after Shinji Mikami felt that it wasn't realistic for the characters to speak in another language when they are suppose to be American, according to a Famitsu interview. So it was decided, for better or worse, to switched over to the English VA that we all now love to hate (or vice-versa).

Another source called "The True Story of Biohazard" (the freebie book that came with the Saturn version in Japan) included a Mikami interview that stated another reason why the Japanese voice acting was eliminated from the final game. He said it sounded "really lame" or "really bad" (カッコ悪かった, "kakkowarukatta"). I'm aware you guys are still translating it. Hope it gets done soon.

And apparently, the recorded unused dialogue does exists outside Capcom's realm. In a CD called Biohazard Symphony Op. 91: Crime and Punishment, Disc 2 has a track called "Character Voice 3" that contains some snips of the JP VA.

So for kicks and giggles n' fun, I produced a video that recreates the game's scenes with that particular track. Unfortunately, there are no subtitles for the moment.

It's sometimes interesting how characters are portrayed in Japanese. Discuss.
    Last edited by OKeijiDragon; 07-13-2009, 02:49 PM.
    If you have Twitter, follow me!. =P

great ending xD

Comment

Indeed. Nice to see such interest in older stuff in a new fan. Be wellcome OKei

Comment

Yeah welcome to the boards and I'm glad you're already dissecting the series after only RE: DC.

Great video, I could have guessed the English VA restriction because way back when RE3 was coming out I got my PS1 modded and a bootleg of BioHazard 3 : Last Escape (it hadn't been released in America at the time). While most of the text was in Japanese I was surprised to see "HEAVY MODE" and "LIGHT MODE" on the main menu and of course the English dialogue.

Comment

Very cool. The voices go with the acting alot better, looks natural.

Comment

I have this video on my Youtube page as well. I think it should have been in Japanese to begin with...
            My Head-Fi Page

Comment

While in in-game cut-scenes Japanese VO fit nicely (imo it sounded better than the English one), in the intro with live-action actors it was strange to hear them speak Japanese.

Thanks for the video.
              Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 07-13-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Old the Complete Disk has the unused intro 0:40
                If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

^ But not the video with the dubbed Japanese dialogs ;). Check the video until it ends.
                  Last edited by Ridley W. Hayes; 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM.

Comment

The Japanese seemed to have more emotion.
                    Thrilling.

Comment

Working...
                    X