Scanning Biohazard Guidebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning Biohazard Guidebooks

I've begun scanning the Biohazard guidebooks, starting with the Research On Biohazard 2. I'll use this topic to keep you all updated and post interesting pages and what not.

I'm just wondering, does anyone know a way to scan without destroying the spines of the books?
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Nice to hear you start scanning =). Will you post them along with translations?

Comment

Nice project Paul, I think many of us love the artbooks/guidebooks so it will be well appreciated.

My RE Curiosities (Scans):

-The Artwork Of Resident Evil 4-
      -Resident Evil Prologue-
      -Biohazard 5: "Unpublished and unused materials"-
      -Art Of Arts Umbrella Chronicles-
      -Biohazard 5 Artbook Limited ED-

I'm here for any help.

Comment

Bending and destroying spines... My worst fear, and unfortunately, my worst habit. Every time I've ever done major scanning, I've tried every which way to prevent bending the spine into ugly destruction, and in my experience, it's nearly impossible. I feel less guilty about it if there's a slipcover to cover the mess, and thankfully, most Resident Evil guide/artbooks come with them.

Usually, after I'm done scanning and destroying the poor spines, I put huuuuge weights over the books for a good 24/48 hours. Even though it doesn't fix the visible damage, it seems to fix the "floppy" effect you sometimes get when opening the book. You probably already know this technique, but if not, there's a helpful tip.

I know some people who cut the spines completely to take out each page individually, but I would never do that unless I had two copies of a book. Otherwise, I'd kill myself before cutting up an artbook, ouch.

Anyway, though~ Good luck scanning. I hope it all goes smoothly and I commend your patience!

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
          I've begun scanning the Biohazard guidebooks, starting with the Research On Biohazard 2. I'll use this topic to keep you all updated and post interesting pages and what not.

I'm just wondering, does anyone know a way to scan without destroying the spines of the books?
          Sounds like you need a hand-held scanner.
          Proven experience, services, and solutions to help your organization evaluate and continuously improve your real estate and facilities management processes.

Last edited by kevstah2004; 07-13-2009, 08:47 PM.
          If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Changed plans and am instead working backwards, starting with the RE5 guidebook. Going smoothly so far.

The Research On Biohazard 2 book is too big for my scanner, so it'll be a lot slower getting it done at this point. The guides however fit perfectly, 2 pages worth. So I'll get them done first.

Comment

That great that you are scanning the guidebooks for all to see.

Comment

I think it would be a good Idea if we also scanned manuals. I was flipping through the original Biohazard manual today and I saw some artwork I'd never seen before. I could scan it pronto if anyone is interested.
                Last edited by REmaster; 07-14-2009, 12:51 AM.
                "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Here's a few pages from the Biohazard 5 guide, showing Spencer's age and personal details and a lot of Wesker:

Last edited by News Bot; 07-14-2009, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Nice scans, there are much less printing points that I thought it would be. Thanks P.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                      75...? wut? I'm surprised. I thought he was in his late 80s or something. 75 almost seems young compared to how they portrayed him, being all fragile and old and almost senile. I mean, obviously senility ranges from person to person, and it doesn't really always have to do with common age, but still... I definitely took him to be waaaayyyy older than 75.

Anyway though~ thanks for those previews. Very crisp and sharp scans!

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought 75 seemed rather young for Spencer.

Comment

Most, if not all, of Dot50Cal's scans that've been translated and archived (with the exception of magazines scans, I suppose) have been made by debinding the books.

It's the only way to do it properly. If I remember correctly, his scanner was bought on recommendation by Björn too.
                          Last edited by Carnivol; 07-15-2009, 02:52 AM.

Comment

If I'm scanning an entire book then I'll de-spine it. But lately I've just been cutting out only the pages I need to scan (art, interesting info) with an exacto knife. Much less messy and a lot less time spent on my behalf.

You're right on the scanner too. Its working out much better than my previous consumer line one. Can't really argue when you get results like this
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Dot50Cal; 07-22-2009, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                              If I'm scanning an entire book then I'll de-spine it. But lately I've just been cutting out only the pages I need to scan (art, interesting info) with an exacto knife. Much less messy and a lot less time spent on my behalf.

You're right on the scanner too. Its working out much better than my previous consumer line one. Can't really argue when you get results like this
                              Shit on a fucking stick, Batlock. What scanner is this? O_o

Comment

Working...
                              X